C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2004+ Center Console Armrest Retrofit and Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Thank You

Originally Posted by wingless
This is a better description of how to fix the cover when it's stuck open or becomes detached.

The rear of the cover has a rotating spring-loaded protruding curved arm that is part of the hinge interlock, colored red or olive in the image. Press and hold that, against the spring, into the compressed position.

The front of the cover has a spring-loaded protruding peg that is the lower compartment interlock, the small light blue dot in the image. Press and hold that HALF WAY compressed.

While holding both as described, then press and hold the side pushbutton, the one used to open the cover, colored red or dark green in the image. Once the side pushbutton is held depressed, the other two components don't need to be held anymore.

Then, slam the cover shut. Open and slam it shut several times to get the parts properly seated.

This problem will always happen if the cover is closed slowly. The cover needs to slam shut. If the cover is closed slowly, then the lateral interlock releases the hinge pins, prior to alignment with the hinge pin hoes.

This procedure is also used for another common problem, a fully detached console cover. The hinge pins need to be retracted and held retracted, by defeating the interlocks. Once the hinge pins are held retracted, they may be aligned with the hinge holes, when the fully detached is replaced.
Thank you ! You solve my center console problem.
Alexandre Fusco - From Brazil
Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 PM

2016 GLE400
BACK FROM THE DEAD! sorry...

Originally Posted by CitronC230K_03
this is the part number i was told for a charcoal colored 2004 armrest.

203-680-08-82-9D12
is anthracite the right color for me? i have a black interior and it costs 200 bux on parts.com where are you guys buying that lid for less?

my center console lid got cut and now it has an ugly horrible tare on it. i dont need to replace anything else but the very top lid with the pleather on it. i dont need the compartments or anything. is that part number the right part im looking for?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:37 AM

2016 GLE400
any one know? bump
Old 10-07-2009, 12:33 AM

'02 C200K Coupe
Originally Posted by walee112
any one know? bump
I am pretty sure that the colour-code that gets ammended to the part# is 9E23.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:50 PM

2005 BMW e53 4.8is
my wife's car has this armrest and it is stuck... are there instructions on how to remove it / has this happened to alot of members? (i got to this thread by searching - please dont tell me to search) :-D
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 AM

2005 CLK320
stuck armrest

It happens frequently with my wife. It's difficult for me to explain the procedure but it's fairly easy once you've done it. In the crack below the top lid, there's a release mechanism that you can reach with your fingers to release, if your fingers aren't too big. After that, you'll probably find that one of the hinge pins is out of its socket so you'll have to press the pin in with a small screwdriver or something while you line it up with the hole.

Originally Posted by rastaFarai
my wife's car has this armrest and it is stuck... are there instructions on how to remove it / has this happened to alot of members? (i got to this thread by searching - please dont tell me to search) :-D
Old 07-18-2010, 12:17 PM

Previous: 2004 E320 2005 C230k Current: 2008 C300
I can't find the "fix" in advanced search either. Mine console is exactly like someone esle described where the lower portion is sticking up like 3 inches and the portion that opens side-to-side won't close either. I'm getting frustrated. I can't find the fix
Old 06-18-2011, 03:34 AM

2005 C240
Hello. First post! My wifey's 05 C240 center console armrest is out of whack. I've tried the methods previously posted to pop it back on but the small retracting peg (on the elbow side) just won't go into the hole even when I have the spring-loaded latch pushed back when slamming the cover shut. She's had problems opening the driver's side for quite some time but finally the passenger side gave up the ghost too (while I was using the car, so guess who's fault it is?).

Not that I have money to throw around these days (wait, I mean ever) but does anyone have the part# for a replacement center console compartment armrest/cover for a black interior? Also, how much?

Thanks in advance..!

Last edited by JPV511; 06-18-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 AM

C230K W203
Disected Armrest - W203

Dear all,

Can anybody provide clearer pictures of internal guts of this armrest (as per below) since mine has jammed and i have pry opened the armrest and the entire guts of armrest has spilled out.

I need a clearer pictures whereby i can reassemble the unit back.

Appreciate your kind assistance in advance.

Originally Posted by Saprissa
well,
there's something you don't see often on a W203/CL203/S203

thanks for sharing....
These side-to-side opening armrest lids seem to get stuck time to time when people put too much stuff inside, so if anything this photo shows the locking mechanisms and how they inter-relate.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 08-07-2018, 01:33 PM

2002 C320 Wagon, 2004 C320 Sedan
Angry Retrofit a "Side" opening Armrest with "center" opening

Please know I have gone through so many pages in this post and I cannot find a straight answer...please help
I have a 2004 C320 Sedan with that stupid side opening version of the Armrest. It was badly busted when I got the car. It is the most complicated configuration I have ever seen...
I want to replace it with one of the older, front/center opening armrest like what is on my 2002 C320 Wagon
What I am seeing looking at the 2 cars, this might be doable.
It looks as though the Lids come attached to the Pocket immediately under it and this should come off as a unit.
It looks like it has hinge arms that go down into the Center Console.
How do you release this Armrest assembly from the Center Console?
I see where it is mentioned that the rear vent assembly pulls away and the arms can be accessed/released from that back side. I have tried to the point of breaking the plastic trim trying to get the rear vents free.
I also see, from the inside with the Lid/pocket raised fully, 2 slots about where the hinges would be. I have tried jamming a thin screw driver in there to release the arms...no luck..
What am I missing please!! If I can't get the top/pocket off I will haveto look to replace the entire center console/armrest assembly and they are pricey..

I am only posting in this old and very long Post because of the threat of creating a new post about something already covered...but in these pages of comments under this subject..I just can't find a definable answer.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:03 PM

1998 C43 Glacier White, Porsche 996, ML430, Cayenne, Karmann Ghia convertible
Originally Posted by wingless
This is a better description of how to fix the cover when it's stuck open or becomes detached.

The rear of the cover has a rotating spring-loaded protruding curved arm that is part of the hinge interlock, colored red or olive in the image. Press and hold that, against the spring, into the compressed position.

The front of the cover has a spring-loaded protruding peg that is the lower compartment interlock, the small light blue dot in the image. Press and hold that HALF WAY compressed.

While holding both as described, then press and hold the side pushbutton, the one used to open the cover, colored red or dark green in the image. Once the side pushbutton is held depressed, the other two components don't need to be held anymore.

Then, slam the cover shut. Open and slam it shut several times to get the parts properly seated.

This problem will always happen if the cover is closed slowly. The cover needs to slam shut. If the cover is closed slowly, then the lateral interlock releases the hinge pins, prior to alignment with the hinge pin hoes.

This procedure is also used for another common problem, a fully detached console cover. The hinge pins need to be retracted and held retracted, by defeating the interlocks. Once the hinge pins are held retracted, they may be aligned with the hinge holes, when the fully detached is replaced.

Years later I want to say thanks to Wingless for the perfectly understandable and accurate description of the fix. I was very perplexed at first. I understood there was a relationship between the two sides needing to be both latches and hinges when appropriate and preventing one behavior when functioning as the other, but hadn't managed to grok the solution. Wingless' description had it fixed in 5 minutes.
Thanks
Tony
Old 06-07-2021, 09:53 PM

2006 c230
need one

Originally Posted by 2301tom
Here is more PIX of the arm rest.
I think you can retrofit the 04 upper portion to older models.
were can i find one like this
Old 03-28-2022, 08:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
C230K M271 CL203 2003 model
Originally Posted by bmadams
Please know I have gone through so many pages in this post and I cannot find a straight answer...please help
I have a 2004 C320 Sedan with that stupid side opening version of the Armrest. It was badly busted when I got the car. It is the most complicated configuration I have ever seen...
I want to replace it with one of the older, front/center opening armrest like what is on my 2002 C320 Wagon
What I am seeing looking at the 2 cars, this might be doable.
It looks as though the Lids come attached to the Pocket immediately under it and this should come off as a unit.
It looks like it has hinge arms that go down into the Center Console.
How do you release this Armrest assembly from the Center Console?
I see where it is mentioned that the rear vent assembly pulls away and the arms can be accessed/released from that back side. I have tried to the point of breaking the plastic trim trying to get the rear vents free.
I also see, from the inside with the Lid/pocket raised fully, 2 slots about where the hinges would be. I have tried jamming a thin screw driver in there to release the arms...no luck..
What am I missing please!! If I can't get the top/pocket off I will haveto look to replace the entire center console/armrest assembly and they are pricey..

I am only posting in this old and very long Post because of the threat of creating a new post about something already covered...but in these pages of comments under this subject..I just can't find a definable answer.

I realise this is an old post.. But i have just completed a transfer of the centre console from an older c180 to a newer 2003 c230, to rectify the failing armrest lid!.
Unfortunately, i don't think you are able to easily transfer 'just' the armrest portion of the console, you need to transfer the complete centre console!
It was a bit of work, but now looks and works great!
I much prefer the older style front opening armrest cubby lid, to the overly complicated side opening, newer variant, which was constantly working its way loose, or getting jammed!..

Last edited by tkid; 03-28-2022 at 08:27 AM.