C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Brake dust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just heard back from myroadster.net and he said it will be quite some time befor they're available for the C. How did you get the test set? Directly from the manufacturer in Costa Mesa or from Jerry? I volunteered months ago to test them and they said they weren't going to make them for the C for a long time.

Does Repco/Axxis make a MetalMaster pad for the C?
Old 11-22-2001, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C240/6
Through Jerry and Tim at Porterfield.
I think it will be a while before they are made available for the C.
I think they are going to need to wait until the factory metal backing plate is made available to the aftermarket.
The plate, unlike most, has some little twists to it that makes it a little difficult to manufacture. Its easy to make the pads so they will work, but there are some kinks that need to be worked out before they could be made available to the public.

Repco doesn't make C pads yet, either. Probably because of the same mfring issues. I am not aware of any other aftermarket mfr that makes the new C pads.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So I guess brake dust is something we have to live with for years to come until someone starts making the pads. Keep us posted on your experiences and if you have the inside word on when these pads will be available.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since I can't get the prefered Axxis or Porterfield pads, I searched for what is available for our C cars. I can get the Mintex Pads for $34.50 or the Pagid brand for $49.90. They both are made in Europe and generate low amounts of dust. These must be larger companies that are able to make the special backing plates. Any personal experiences out there with these pads? Pagid claims the same as what Porterfield claims.

http://www.pagidusa.com/
Old 11-26-2001, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C240/6
I've never used Pagid or Mintex, but here are some quotes from some others that have:

"I have Pagids(PO installed)on my son's car and they DO create a fair bit of dust. The flip side is that they seem just a bit stickier than the Repcos. As in life, there can be tradeoffs."

"Pagid's are very dusty, but a good all around pad"

"Switched to the Pagid pads, haven't warped a rotor since but they are DUSTY. I've been told that this is due to a high carbon content. Agina, I may be wrong about that point, just passing on what I've heard.
Don't know about Mintx, but I was told by my parts supplier (independent) that Mintex was bought out by either Pagid or Jurid."

"Have Mintex "red box" street compound on my '94 530iT with 8-series front brakes. They're much less dusty than the stock pads, but seem dustier than Repco/Axxis/PBR Deluxe. The Mintex are fine for street use, but wear VERY quickly on the track."
Old 11-27-2001, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks SoCal240/6 for the heads up on the Pagid and Mintex. They don't sound like the right solution.

Searching around I came across another brand that fits the C class. The EBC Green Stuff pads. They are kevlar like the Porterfields, claim to be dust free, quiet (will give full refund if they squeal), have a very high co-efficient of friction and are rotor friendly. The downside is they are soft and last about the same as the OEM pads or 10-20k miles. They cost $79 at tirerack.com.

http://www.ebc-brakes.com/autopads.htm

Anyone have experience with these pads?