C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Dual rear fog light kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 Classic
Dual rear fog light kit?

Well, I've had my C240 for three days now and tonight on my way home I was pulled over for "burnt out tail light", I got out and checked and they were working. The officer pointed at the right side rear fog being off and I had to explain to him that cars equipt with a rear fog lights in North America only have a bulb on the side of the drivers seat. He didn't believe me in a most degrading way, questioning my intelligence and then some. He told me to get it fixed or I'll have a ticket on my hands, so I turned them off and drove home without a ticket for now.

Is there a kit I can buy to install the wiring or bulb for the right side rear fog? Most of the police here appear to be deeply uneducated, as upsetting as it is, this is the only reasonable solution I can take on the matter, or, just not use them.

Do I just install another bulb? Do I need a wiring kit to the switch or can I just patch in from the left side bulb? Is there even a right side socket?

-Ben

Last edited by StrangerHacks; 08-15-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
There is no way to connect a second bulb because the Rear SAM monitors the current in the lamp and will complain if overloaded. It may flash the blub a couple of times to make sure the measurement is correct, then shut down the lamp.

The burnt out tail light is pretext to do a vehicle shake. They want to see if there is a possible drunk driving charge or other contraband in the car. The officer was unprofessional in demeaning you over a tail light.

You might approach the police chief and show him a copy of the safety standards and the page from your car manual explaining the operation, and request that traffic officers in his command be made aware of the single rear fog lamp on Mercedes cars, and that they are in compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Well was there fog or another hazardous road conditions?
If not then it had no need to be on anyway.
It really bothers me when people drive around in perfect weather with fog lights (font or rear) on. It can be a hazard to other drivers as it can blind them and diminish there night vision just so you can look cool.
Ok rant over
Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
LOL. I had something very similar cued up, then deleted it before I posted it.

For the OP, just show them the section of the owner's manual that discusses operation of the rear fog light. If they can't understand what they are reading, slowly push a dozen donuts to their side of the table, and all will be forgiven.

As far as putting another light on the other side, that's a pretty dumb idea, and that would be worthy of the ticket that they're trying to give you for a properly operating fog light.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:42 AM
Banned

2002 C240 Classic
Originally Posted by samaritrey
It really bothers me when people drive around in perfect weather with fog lights (font or rear) on.
It was foggy, I am the exact same way, especially big trucks that tail you with their fog lights directly at mirror height blaring in my face. I'm so glad the C240 has autodimming mirrors.

This city is a bit low brow when it comes to keeping things legal, every second or third car/truck has an illegal HID retrofit without projectors, the police don't do anything about them and have actually told me they're legal because businesses install them so it can't be illegal, even though the highway traffic act says they need to be DOT approved, the beam must not be altered, and remain under 300 candella.. Which HID retrofits don't comply to any of those. But the police here just seem to know everything, even if the traffic act says otherwise.

I was just hoping a dual rear fog would be an easy fix like it was in my old Jetta. These spaceship cars are something else lol
Old 08-16-2013, 02:54 PM

07 C230 (sold) 2009 E63 AMG (SOLD), 2015 E 63 AMG S
LOL the same exact thing happened to me in SF and the cop was being a douche bag as well. He questioned my knowledge regarding mercedes and i responded in a way were he didnt think was nice enough. He gave me a ticket, i fought back and made him look a bit silly regarding his knowledge to european cars. Theres nothing you can do about your rear fog lights. We get about 5-10 people coming into the dealer asking for the same thing youre asking for...
Old 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
You DO NOT want a fog lamp on the right side - because than the set up can be confused for a set of active brake lights (21w) with a failed CHMSL (3rd brake light) which would be worse for the person following you!
Old 07-06-2017, 02:27 AM

Mercedes Benz C Class C280
Originally Posted by tommy
LOL. I had something very similar cued up, then deleted it before I posted it.

For the OP, just show them the section of the owner's manual that discusses operation of the rear fog light. If they can't understand what they are reading, slowly push a dozen donuts to their side of the table, and all will be forgiven.

I Lol'd At This ^^^
Old 07-06-2017, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
Deleted

Last edited by BF_JC230; 07-06-2017 at 03:06 PM.