C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Replace CD changer with aux in? 2002 C240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240
Replace CD changer with aux in? 2002 C240

Doe anyone know how (or if) I can replace my CD changer with something that will allow me to play my ipod or other MP3 device through the stereo? 2002 C240
Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM

2003 C320
I would tend to think that would freak the system out. It's looking for a specific message from the cd changer, and I imagine it would kick malfunctions back if it didn't get those messages. I've heard stories about entire radios going down because of a bad cd changer, makes no sense but that's just how integrated they are.

What you can look into though is there is a service on ebay that will build in an aux jack using the wiring to the tape deck. they just piggy back on the tape deck wiring rails, doesn't impact any existing functionality at all so no errors. I've not tried it myself, but i continue to compemplate.

Also - is your mp3 player bluetooth a2dp capable? There's a A2DP bluetooth cassette tape for sale on amazon. It's gotten good review. Supposedly works. My want to try that.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The CD changer sound is not sent to the headunit on copper wires. The sound is carried on a fiber optic bus called D2B up through 2004. There are no external inputs to the headunit in that year. There is no analog sound on the volume control, and there is no analog voltage until the DSP sends a signal to the analog amplifier.

Some people have used a technique to inject sound on the terminals of the tape head in the cassette player (anybody still use cassettes?) Search this forum, there is thread to make the modification. It is easy if you have some soldering skills.

Let me warn you that the signal from minijack music sources are linear. The nature of magnetic tape means that a logarithmic amplifier is necessary to make the music from a tape sound decent. When presented with a linear source the sound is recognizable, but sounds like it is playing on a kid's vinyl record player with a broken needle.

There are some RF modulators that install between the headunit and the antenna lead. You then tune the FM radio to an unused station and listen to stereo from a minijack. Don't try this trick in LA or NYC, there are no unused stations.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
If you're going to waste your time and money trying to get an analog Aux input to work, why not spend a couple hundred dollars or so and get a complete new double-din head unit with USB storage, Bluetooth audio and handsfree phone, and better overall sound(even with stock speakers and wiring)? Once you move to an aftermarket head unit you will never look back ...
Old 08-28-2013, 06:15 PM

2002 C240
Originally Posted by jkowtko
If you're going to waste your time and money trying to get an analog Aux input to work, why not spend a couple hundred dollars or so and get a complete new double-din head unit with USB storage, Bluetooth audio and handsfree phone, and better overall sound(even with stock speakers and wiring)? Once you move to an aftermarket head unit you will never look back ...
Good point. Are there any head units that look similar to stock?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:16 PM

2002 C240
Originally Posted by ATXJosh
I would tend to think that would freak the system out. It's looking for a specific message from the cd changer, and I imagine it would kick malfunctions back if it didn't get those messages. I've heard stories about entire radios going down because of a bad cd changer, makes no sense but that's just how integrated they are.

What you can look into though is there is a service on ebay that will build in an aux jack using the wiring to the tape deck. they just piggy back on the tape deck wiring rails, doesn't impact any existing functionality at all so no errors. I've not tried it myself, but i continue to compemplate.

Also - is your mp3 player bluetooth a2dp capable? There's a A2DP bluetooth cassette tape for sale on amazon. It's gotten good review. Supposedly works. My want to try that.
Just checked and the A2DP bluetooth cassette tape is only going for $39 and as you said, the reviews are pretty good.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 PM

2005 c230SS
Originally Posted by glenrhoades
Good point. Are there any head units that look similar to stock?
There are some lower-quality head units that have an OEM look to them ... but they include GPS, are several hundred dollars in price, and the sound quality is arguably lower. The benefit is the appearance and that the connections are more plug-and-play, resulting in a simpler installation. Dynavin is one of the more popular brands here. Check out eBay for these.

Regarding true aftermarket units, none will look much like your stock radio. But I would argue that you will get used to them quickly to the point of thinking the stock radio was antiquated.

I bought a full-screen AVIC with GPS ...

... and personally like the cleaner look of it compared to the Audio 20. Plus I use one of the custom splash screens (attachment) from what people have made and posted to the forums. So it looks even nicer whenever I turn it on. Sure they could lose the Pioneer logo and glossy finish, but the good news is I can always swap it out if I find another unit in the future that looks more seamlessly integrated, and has more, newer features

I say start looking around to see if there's anything you like.
Attached Thumbnails Replace CD changer with aux in? 2002 C240-stereo1.jpg   Replace CD changer with aux in? 2002 C240-mercpioneer1.jpg  

Last edited by jkowtko; 08-28-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:30 PM

2002 C240
That is a nice looking unit. I think I will get that blue tooth cassette to get me by for now and start looking for an aftermarket unit like that one.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
I think the difference between $40 for the FM thingie and > $500 for the headunit is pretty stark. Don't forget to factor in the amp which you will have to replace since the stock one uses optical connection.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 PM

2005 c230SS
My Pioneer AVIC was $500, but that includes GPS and a host of other features ... it's at the top of the line (albeit a couple of models older).

Look on eBay ... I just saw a double-din touch screen with bluetooth for $78 ... it's an off brand, but It looks like you can get something with full touchscreen display but without GPS and the other features I don't use, for a few hundred dollars or less.

Looking at VVF's post - I should have added that the complexity of an aftermarket installation is highly dependent on whether or not you have a stereo upgrade with amp in the trunk. If you do, then there is a good chance that the head unit is connected to the amp by fiber optic cable, which aftermarket head units will not support, and in which case you will have to run new wiring to the speakers or at least to where the copper speaker wires connect to the amp output. I did not have an upgraded stereo in my car, but I still put an amp in the trunk and rewired everything ... it was well worth the cost and extra effort (primarily the effort) for the added improvement in sound quality.

The cassette tape adapter is simple and low cost ... but it is going to sound crappy no matter how good of a unit it is. The FM modulator is just about as bad. If all you listen to is NPR then I think you'll be okay. But if you like music ...

Last edited by jkowtko; 08-28-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:03 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ah, ok. That's not too bad. I was misled by the dynawin prices - $500-600 on their website.

Well, glenrhoades has the cd changer. At least he will have to bypass that somehow, or disable it via Star if I understand correctly.

I mean I would rather spend a couple hundred on some maintenance or suspension/etc refreshment rather than the sound system. Granted I have the HK with the amp in the trunk (=more trouble to install the aftermarket unit ), and probably am not concerned with the sound quality. A friend recently commented on the "crappy acoustics" in the car, which was kind of unexpected to me No more rides for him!

On the other hand, if the audio in our cars is that bad to begin with, the cassette adapter should be about right a purchase, no?

Last edited by VVF; 08-28-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW, apparently you can replace the CD changer with an AUX input:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...xmb1-sale.html
Bipes MP3 or Soundgate AUXMB1.

Last edited by VVF; 08-28-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:26 PM

2005 c230SS
Actually, I think the acoustics are pretty good in my car.

I'm a sound guy on the side and have been a stereo buff forever, so I'm really picky about this too.

The door woofer/tweeter locations seem pretty balanced. I have Hertz Energy (ESK/ECX) speakers in front and rear, and added an MB stock sub into the rear deck. Alpine MRX-V60 in the trunk bolted under the rear deck. Stinger 4000 series interconnects from head unit to amp, and KnuKonceptz 14AWG blue from amp to speakers. And some dynamat in the doors, on the (looking inside the doors) outer sheet metal and crash bar only.

Even the stock stereo I thought sounded pretty okay for a stock system, but with each increment of my upgrade it got better and better. No real sweet spots at any frequency, no vibrations, lots of punch, reasonable sound stage up front (the rear coax pull it back a bit into the cabin which is nice), all close micing almost in your lap. I listen to traditional rock, vocals, guitar, musicals ... nowadays anything with a good quality recording. The reverb and bass/drums in Aryeon's Electric Castle album sound awesome, as does the high end in Radiohead's No Surprises. I have an Americana piece and one from Marilyn Manson just for laughs, but they pound pretty hard, loud, tight, crisp.

So anyway, I don't think the acoustics in these cars are terrible if I find myself wanting to drive the long way so I can listen to the stereo more. And once in a while the music gives me goosebumps and/or puts a smile on my face

-----

Regarding the CD changer, does it need to be removed? If he has a casette tape player then the casette adapter can go in without touching anything else.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 PM

2003 C320
i just tested out the bluetooth cassette in my 03. Works perfectly. Some of the reviews complained about a nose comes from the spindles turning. I didn't hear any of that and it sounds really good. For $39, you are in the modern age.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 AM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

j, you probably had to strip half the car for all the wiring and stuff?

I am pretty fine with my stock audio. Except the fact that it might be too "mushy", but I don't notice that if I am not specifically comparing against other cars. When I sat in a MK6 Jetta I felt like the sound is 2x more crisp and clear on the highs - kind of like someone took the cotton buds out of your ears.

Yea, seems like he would have to remove the changer with that aux adapter...
Personally I just burn a CD or ten from lossless copies, before a long trip Even though I had installed the AUX input in the glovebox, I am maybe using it once or twice a year.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Originally Posted by VVF
Don't forget to factor in the amp which you will have to replace since the stock one uses optical connection.
Only cars with premium audio have an external amp. Bose in earlier cars on D2B fiber optics, and Harmon-Kardon on MOST cars.

The headunit on most cars has the power amp inside, and the speakers are of course connected by copper wire.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:54 PM

2005 c230SS
Originally Posted by VVF
j, you probably had to strip half the car for all the wiring and stuff?
yes, I had to remove the trunk lining and door jamb bottom trim, remove the front seats for better access, and pull the rear seat out a bit to get the wiring into the channels. But I actually didn't remove any stock material permanently from the car except for the CD changer and head unit. The million miles of fiber in the car, and stock wiring to the doors, is all still intact -- in fact the door wires are still clipped into the stock speaker mounts which I carved out to hold the new speakers. For plastic mounts they are pretty sturdy, and I wrapped them in dynamat just to be safe. My head unit is actually still wired to the stock wiring, although the wiring isn't connected at the speakers so those outputs from the head unit aren't doing anything ... the RCA jacks are being used now.

Originally Posted by VVF
I am pretty fine with my stock audio. Except the fact that it might be too "mushy", but I don't notice that if I am not specifically comparing against other cars. When I sat in a MK6 Jetta I felt like the sound is 2x more crisp and clear on the highs - kind of like someone took the cotton buds out of your ears.
Many years ago I heard a good analogy of the difference in quality between speakers. The salesman said something like -- "picture a bunch of veils draped over the speaker. They cloud some of the clearness of the sound coming from the speakers. Now start removing the veils one by one, and the sound becomes more and more clear. The best quality speakers sound like they have few or no veils over them, to the point where it sounds like the audio source (i.e. band) is in the room)." I've use this analogy a lot, and when dealing with really bad sound systems I'll toss in a wet blanket or two

Originally Posted by VVF
Personally I just burn a CD or ten from lossless copies, before a long trip Even though I had installed the AUX input in the glovebox, I am maybe using it once or twice a year.
I thought I was fine with my stock audio, burning CDs as I found stuff to listen to ... but ultimately didn't listen too much while I was in the car, probably because the sound just wasn't pleasing to the ear for long-term listening. I lived this way for about 8 years with this car. After the stereo upgrade I am now playing something at a good volume ALL of the time. If you love it, you'll use it -- if you don't, you won't.

Last edited by jkowtko; 08-29-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 AM

2002 C320
Originally Posted by ATXJosh
i just tested out the bluetooth cassette in my 03. Works perfectly. Some of the reviews complained about a nose comes from the spindles turning. I didn't hear any of that and it sounds really good. For $39, you are in the modern age.
How much time are you getting out of the bluetooth cassette on a single charge?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 AM

2002 C240
Originally Posted by Blackbradpitt
Was wondering the same thing. ...and how do you charge it?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 CL203 C320, 2002 W208 CLK320 cabriolet, 2012 A207 E350 cabriolet, 2011 X204 GLK350 4matic
How has no one mentioned http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monster-iCarplay-800-Cassette-Tape-Adaptor-3ft-iPod-iPhone-MP3-Aux-Zune-Droid-/121149985021?pt=US_Cassette_Adapters&hash=item1c351a10fd yet?
Come on. Best Buy sells these for 10-15 bucks.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 PM

2005 c230SS
I think it was mentioned a couple of times ... but the bluetooth version at only $40 was suggested as a better alternative for a low-cost cassette adapter.

but yes, at $15 this is your absolute cheapest, least effort and least invasive way to get your mobile device to be able to play music through the old stock car radio.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 CL203 C320, 2002 W208 CLK320 cabriolet, 2012 A207 E350 cabriolet, 2011 X204 GLK350 4matic
The bluetooth one has been mentioned, but for 10 bucks I'd rather have this.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:31 AM

2003 C320
Originally Posted by Blackbradpitt
I haven't actually run the battery down yet (charged it before using it), it's going on maybe 3 days of standby and I've used it for 3 consecutive commutes which are about 30 minutes each way. Still going strong. Sounds good. much better than the junky bluetooth FM transmitter that i previously had.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by jkowtko
Where did you order or go get your double din stereo? i drive a 02 c240 and have been looking for a stereo to put in but havent found one that fits the console of the one thats in right now
Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
All you would do would be to get a Metra double din kit; it will fit right in insead of the single din h/u and storage shelf. Then practially any double din would fit.

Though with phones the way they are now, I have no idea why anyone would need a double din any more, honestly. The newish Beckers look pretty much OEM, as do the Nakamichis, if you can find one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replace CD changer with aux in? 2002 C240