C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Will chaning my cars rims and tire size change the way my car drives?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 c240 4 matic
Will chaning my cars rims and tire size change the way my car drives?

I was recently informed from a friend of mines who seems to know a lot about cars that if i change my size tire from the stock to go a bit bigger to get these rims below that my car will never drive the same is this true? and i just recently got my tires changed at the tire shop the owner said if i put these rims on my car pretty much they won't drive the same and i may risk them falling off of my mercedes benz c240 because our bolts are different is this true and should i stay with stock? or keep tire size and get rims for stock size and not go any bigger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290915884100...84.m1438.l2649
Old 09-26-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
13's550/2000's430/13'gl63/'13's550/10's63
make sure that the bolt seat are the same, sometime you have to buy longer bolts or shoter bolts depending on the offset of the wheels, look on here lots of threads on changing wheels.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 C200K (2001)
Well, any car will behave differently when you put different wheel sizes on it, but when everything is done properly then it's def. nothing wrong with changing wheel size !, as long as you don't start putting 20" chrome rims on a car that comes with 15s

The only dangerous things you need to look out for is getting the correct bolts, I'm not an expert with those, but if you look up the wheels thread you'll find lots of info, better take it to someone who knows what they're doing. otherwise as your mechanic said, they can come off while driving, but it's perfectly safe with correct sizes..

The second thing you need to make sure you get a real good set of rims/tyres, don't go cheap on those, and forget about replicas !, for your own safety at least, this is the only contact you're having with the road !

Third thing you need to know that you need to stay in the same range of the original rim size, if you car comes with 16", you can go up two sizes maybe, that's the standard I go by, I also try to keep the whole tire ratio pretty close to the OEM setup, but that's my personal taste

Fourth thing, if you get an overall bigger/smaller diameter on your wheels than the OEM, your speedometer will be slightly off, there are many ways to get around this, you can lookup speedometer adjustment tools, also this will help you calculate how much off you'll be !

Last but not least you'll need to do some work on your suspension, bigger rims won't look really good if you don't lower the car a bit, and with that being done, your suspension will need to be tuned to the new height again, you might also have to buy a camber kit for the back side, not a big job really..

always remember to drive safe and do suspension work properly, it's always a good time to inspect your brakes too while you're at it
Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Basically, with larger rims, the mass is spread further from the wheel center, which increases the rotational inertia. I.e. even with the same gross weight, larger wheels will 'slow your car down'. (if they are lighter, they may not induce the slowdown)
Also this affects the braking forces needed to stop the car.

About the bolts corkshoppe is right.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...want-know.html

Last edited by VVF; 09-26-2013 at 02:24 PM.