C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Paint chips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paint chips

Currently on the M-class mailing list a discussion is ongoing concerning paint chips. The list seems divided-some say the M-class is no worse that other cars and others say the M-class is much more prone to chipping. I own an M-class and a C-Coupe and in my experience the M-class acquired more (actually many more) chips in the first few months than my C-coupe has in its first few months. The C-coupe paint seems to be of a better quality and better applied. What is the experience of other C-class owners with chipping?
Old 11-20-2001, 10:41 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Do you mean by 'chipping' a small white dot indicating some rock has hit hard enough to dig under the paint, or do you mean a flake of paint has come off?

The first is a sign of one car having thinner paint, softer paint, or both when compared to the other car. The second is a sign of improper paint bonding (a serious problem that could later on lead to whole sections peeling off).

If it is the first one, it sounds like the M-Class factory is applying thinner and/or softer paint than the C-Class factory.

A thicker coat of wax will help reduce future 'chipping' by adding an additional layer of protection, however wear. If you are really concerned, take a look at http://www.stongard.com/ for 3M industrial strength protection for the front nose of your M or C-Class. I'm seriously considering it for my C Coupe.

Rick
Old 11-21-2001, 01:23 AM
Almost a Member!

'02 C240/6
Originally posted by Flashman
Do you mean by 'chipping' a small white dot indicating some rock has hit hard enough to dig under the paint, or do you mean a flake of paint has come off?

The first is a sign of one car having thinner paint, softer paint, or both when compared to the other car. The second is a sign of improper paint bonding (a serious problem that could later on lead to whole sections peeling off).

Rick
So, if some rock hits the paint and leaves a white dot AND a small flake of removed paint around it, is this a sign of improper paint bonding?
Old 11-21-2001, 04:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB paint sucks due to the EPA regulations governing what can and can not be used. Nowadays, paint is water-based and chips like crazy. My dad has a 92 SL, he doesn't have the new paint... He has absolutely no chips, and has never had a paint job. Go figure.
Old 11-21-2001, 11:53 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
I could see how the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency, a US government agency) could affect MLs (which are made in the US),

but,

how would the EPA have jurisdiction over how a German car company assembles/paints its cars in Germany?? Why would the US EPA even care about air pollution in Germany?

Maybe that's why the US made ML has inferior paint. I know that US made BMWs (like the Z3) are known for having weak paint. My friend's Z3 will chip if you look at it too hard.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
well, the epa would have certain requirements/regulations (like fuel efficiency) etc that the car manufacturer would need to meet in order to sell in the USA.

also, note that many euro countries are much "greener" (do they have a choice now?) than the US and MB may have just gone to a less toxic paint voluntarily.