C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

XM or Sirius?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2003 | 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
XM or Sirius?

Ok, I've read all the stuff, I've seen all the ads...
Now I'm considering one of these services for my cars.

I'm planning on using and FM modulator, and the desired installation would be in the ashtray compartment or glove box. I've looked over the Kenwood, Sony, Delphi, Audiovox products and they all seem to do pretty much the same things.

The deciding factor: my criteria leans more toward available music than news, sports, commercials, talk shows etc....so which is the preferred service? Is either better quality than the other? Any limited reception areas?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-16-2003 | 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sirus is commercial free. XM has some programming options I prefer over Surius, but I can also say Sirius has some programming I prefer over XM.

I haven't purchased yet, but I have spent some time listening to the type of programming I am most likely to listen to on both services. I prefer XM. Buellwinkle has both. He prefers Sirius. So, take some time to spend listening to both, then decide. But I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Have you checked out any of the satellite radio forums?
Old 11-16-2003 | 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
I got the XM option since I preferred the channels. Also, Alpine has a good FM modulator unit which I have installed in my c320. The control unit fits great in the ash tray and the remote works great also. Antenna mounted on trunk.
Old 11-16-2003 | 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

bone stock E55 AMG
i had XM b4.... some channels have a little bit of commercials...
overall, i liked it a lot...
i enjoyed 80s, 90s, TOP40, KIIS XM(?) and C|NET channels.
not sure about sirius... don't like it anyways since it's offered in bimmers... ;-P
Old 11-16-2003 | 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Although I prefer Sirius programming by far, they don't have a good small plug and play unit so for now I have the XM Roady but would switch in a heartbeat if they did. For a permanent mount FM mod setup, the Panasonic will fit in the area below the radio and look good. Sirius plays very traditional playlist, similar to what you get on equivalent FM stations. So when you listen to the 80's channel you list to the top songs of that decade, when you listen to their pop channels it's the top songs now. They also have some programming not available on XM like NPR. The music stations are 100% commercial free but have DJ's that talk in between the sets. Pay annually and the difference in costs between Sirius and XM is about 3 cents a day, what's a commercial worth to you. Also you can get a part from MB that will play XM through the factory HU using the HU's controls and display as well as steering wheel control and dash display.

As for XM, dont' expect comercial free. It's comercial free on the less popular stations like VOX (opera). Most of the stations I listen to have commercials, sometimes 4 minutes straight, but that's about the hourly limit, not more than that. They don't have a good top 40 station that's traditional on FM other than the rebroadcast of L.A.'s KISS FM, Rick Dees and all. They have a listener selected top 20 but it seems everytime I switch to it the same song is playing. Also their playlists are odd sometimes, for example, I listen to the 80's station yet many songs are not any I remember and not what you would hear on VH1's 80's show. Having said that, my daughter prefers XM because it plays an eclectic mix but her taste in music is different as she attends local band concerts and usually knows about groups 2-3 years before most people heard of them.

Also XM's song names cuts off at about 16 characters, Sirius shows the full name. Not a limitation of the equipment but the provider.

I tried mounting the display in the ashtray but it's hard to see and operate while driving (too low). My Roady is mounted by pressing the Roady swival mount into the cubby under the radio and it holds there fine and I ran the wires in a hole in the back of the cubby. The FM mod fits nicely under the radio and behind the cubby. The antenna adapter I got was a long metal tube and that was the hardest thing to jamb in the space available.
Old 11-16-2003 | 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
It really matters to what programming you like to listen to the most. When I worked at Circuit and Best Buy I liked XM initially and it was sweet. I listened to the XM Comedy 150, rap stations, techno and trance stations. The techno and trance stations on XM were off the chain, but have dramatically fallen off over the last year. Sirius's techno channel on the other hand has gotten, to be second to none.
Old 11-16-2003 | 10:18 PM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
XM or Sirrus

Do you like black or white? There is no real right answer to that question.......

I have XM and I love it. The Panasonic FM mod fits inside the ashtray and is out of sight. The antenna is located INSIDE the car on the rear shelf and works perfectly. The amp is installed on top of the first-aid kit inside the trunk.

As far as stations go I listen to Ch 71, Watercolours......jazz and I'm told it's there #1 channel........no commercials. I also listen to Ch 10, America........country and again......no commercials. Both stations have DJs to keep you up to date. XM also has live concerts from there own studio in NY. Ch 75, Luna......plays a lot of Cuban, Tito Puente stuff. Again no commercials. So I guess it depends on what you like as to whether you will hear commercials on XM. I far as news stations.........XM has five. CNN, FOX, ABC and I forgot the rest. AS for not having NPR.......sorry Buell.........that station is WAY to far left for my tastes......

Who does the public like? Well XM just went over the one million mark in customers while Sirrus is still trying to break 80 thousand.

Old 11-16-2003 | 10:19 PM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
XM or Sirrus

Do you like black or white? There is no real right answer to that question.......

I have XM and I love it. The Panasonic FM mod fits inside the ashtray and is out of sight. The antenna is located INSIDE the car on the rear shelf and works perfectly. The amp is installed on top of the first-aid kit inside the trunk.

As far as stations go I listen to Ch 71, Watercolours......jazz and I'm told it's there #1 channel........no commercials. I also listen to Ch 10, America........country and again......no commercials. Both stations have DJs to keep you up to date. XM also has live concerts from there own studio in NY. Ch 75, Luna......plays a lot of Cuban, Tito Puente stuff. Again no commercials. So I guess it depends on what you like as to whether you will hear commercials on XM. I far as news stations.........XM has five. CNN, FOX, ABC and I forgot the rest. AS for not having NPR.......sorry Buell.........that station is WAY to far left for my tastes......

Who does the public like? Well XM just went over the one million mark in customers while Sirrus is still trying to break 80 thousand.

Old 11-17-2003 | 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just because they were first, and they are the cheapest and most people bought into it doesn't mean it's the best. I'm actually surprised that people pick XM first and it's probably because they don't understand the difference and chose solely on price or equipment. You have to live with both for a month to understand the subtle differences. I chose FM solely on equipment, not because of their programming but there are FM stations that are better on XM than Sirius. XM has much better comedy and classical music channels. Watercolors is a elevator/background music station, I can see why many people listen to it, it's soothing while driving.

My beef with XM is that I find that because of the eclectic mix of music I find myself changing channels way more on XM than Sirius, sort of like many people change channels on FM because of commercials. If you go to the Sirius forums you can see that most Sirius customers are former XM customers, yet on the XM forums I've never heard of a convert to XM from Sirius and to me that says a lot, after all, what would make you switch once you have a setup. Believe it or not, some people have both.

My beef with Sirius is equipment, they need to catchup with XM quicky if they want to grow that market.

Dan,

I have XM, you win, for now. But seriously, the Roady with the FM mod sounds way better to me than the Pioneer you have and I had before. To me that Pioneer's sound level was way too low and it loses a lot of bass in the translation, the Roady has more bass. Let me know when you get the Roady FM wireless adapter so I can take the Roady in my truck.
Old 11-17-2003 | 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
The XM Roady was a major consideration. The easy portability between vehicles plus the FM mod make it real attractive....but I heard that Sirius programming is better, virtually no commercials, clearer signal in congested areas...etc. This was the reason for my question.

Buell...thanks for the insightful details, Dan...I appreciate your informative views too. But guys....please don't turn this into a pissing match. I'm looking for objetive views (not sales pitches or BS) and you've both given yours.
Old 11-17-2003 | 08:01 AM

2004 Audi A4 3.0 Ultra Sport
I've been a Sirius customer for a little over a year now. I just activated my second receiver last week. I will probably be adding a third when MB releases their tuner this coming summer.

I'm very happy with the music selection and the price. I think you can't go wrong either way. I have never had XM, but I'm sure it's great too. I think once you have Sat radio you will be asking yourself how you ever went without it.

Sub count: XM had a one year head start on Sirius, and has had OEM car manufacturers offering a product for 2 years now(GM). Sirius's OEM offering are just starting to appear on the 2004 model line of cars which should help its sub count.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either carrier.
Old 11-17-2003 | 01:35 PM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
XM or Sirrus

I have XM and I really like it.........But it all comes down to what you like to listen too.

Here's an article in BW that might help you decide.

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazi...9124.htm:cool:
Old 11-17-2003 | 07:59 PM

1988 560SL (Sold)
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Also you can get a part from MB that will play XM through the factory HU using the HU's controls and display as well as steering wheel control and dash display.
Huh??? What's this, Buell, and how much does it cost?

Thanks.

Tim
Old 11-17-2003 | 07:59 PM

1988 560SL (Sold)
Also you can get a part from MB that will play XM through the factory HU using the HU's controls and display as well as steering wheel control and dash display.

Thanks.

Tim
Old 11-17-2003 | 08:00 PM

1988 560SL (Sold)

Thanks.

Tim
Old 11-17-2003 | 08:01 PM

1988 560SL (Sold)
Well, I just discovered something...

If your post doesn't go through, don't press the stop button and submit it again... and again...

Sorry, guys! :o
Old 11-17-2003 | 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's $800 installed, so it's not the most cost effective solution. Also the display on the factory radios is small, you won't see much of the song title/artist. But it will probably sound better than any FM mod setup.

It's $800 installed, so it's not the most cost effective solution. Also the display on the factory radios is small, you won't see much of the song title/artist. But it will probably sound better than any FM mod setup.

Old 11-18-2003 | 08:08 AM

1988 560SL (Sold)
That's funny!

Thanks for the info. Do you get it at the MB dealership? If so, what part am I asking for?

Thanks, again.

Tim

(I'm pressing submit now, and then walking away!)
Old 11-18-2003 | 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know, I saw it at the C-Sport party, they had several cars to demo Sirius on and the rep said it's $800 installed. Ask a salesperson or your service dept.
Old 11-18-2003 | 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've read the MB Sirius receiver won't be available at the parts counter until July. For those of you who want one, I hope that is incorrect.
Old 11-18-2003 | 12:20 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
SIRIUS / XM

My wife has Sirius in her SUV and I have the XM roady in my CCLASS. Both are great services. I went with XM because it has a Rock in Spanish channel which Sirius does not. Sirius, however, IMO has a better "vintage alternative rock" channel ("first wave") than XM's "Fred."

Lately, however, XM is annoying me by having this "Heidi Selexa" ugly unfunny troll DJ babbling all afternoon in the 80s channel, one of my favorite channels.

Can't have everything...

Will post pics of the Roady later (I upgraded from the SkyFi).

Martin-
Old 11-18-2003 | 12:21 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
SIRIUS / XM

My wife has Sirius in her SUV and I have the XM roady in my CCLASS. Both are great services. I went with XM because it has a Rock in Spanish channel which Sirius does not. Sirius, however, IMO has a better "vintage alternative rock" channel ("first wave") than XM's "Fred."

Lately, however, XM is annoying me by having this "Heidi Selexa" ugly unfunny troll DJ babbling all afternoon in the 80s channel, one of my favorite channels.

Can't have everything...

Will post pics of the Roady later (I upgraded from the SkyFi).

Martin-
Old 11-18-2003 | 12:30 PM

2002 E55, Black on Black
Originally posted by Lynn
I've read the MB Sirius receiver won't be available at the parts counter until July. For those of you who want one, I hope that is incorrect.
So do I! I have my new C320 arriving in a few weeks, and I was very disappointed to find out I counldn't get the Sirius OEM unit for it. I was told "early next year," which stinks, but stinks a whole lot less than July, 2004.

I don't think anyone knows for sure yet. My first contact at MB told me I could order it now, then the dealer says "early next year." I followed that up with a call to MB-USA, who had no freakin' clue, except to tell me all 2004 models are pre-wired for Sirius.
Old 12-09-2003 | 02:48 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
what's wrong with sirius equipment?

i've been looking into adding sat radio to my car and this thread has helped me knock out some of the differences between the 2 services...so thanks everyone!

my question is what is wrong with the sirius equipment? everyone seems to be a fan of the delphi roady with XM service. but looking at the sirius equipment, they seem to have 2 similar models - the Audiovox SIR-PNP2 and the Brix Streamer System SIR-STRPNP1.

are these new models? has anyone used them? I like how the Brix Streamer has an included remote. any insight would be appreciated! thanks.
Old 12-09-2003 | 04:50 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLK 320 Diamon Silver/Ash
See my post in this forum at

Sirius install in C-Coupe

Since then I've moved the antenna to the roof. Still like Sirius enough to purchase a second subscription with a Kenwood H2A.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: XM or Sirius?