C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Opposite problem- Steering wheel WON'T LOCK, moves freely

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 03:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 c250
Opposite problem- Steering wheel WON'T LOCK, moves freely

So rather than "Steering Wheels Height adjustment stopped working..!!" Mine freely moves up and down regardless whether I've pushed in the locking mechanism or not. I've found two possible solutions. Option 1: Flip the bolt holding the plastic gear. Option 2: Lock it manually

Does anyone have the know-how to pull off either option with a little more detail than what I've quoted below and possibly with pics?

Option 1 quoted from a mechanic. "Open the gear motor on the left hand side of the telelscopic assembly. Take the plate off held by 4 philips screws. Using a 10mm socket, remove the bolt holding the plastic gear. Remove plastic gear and insert the reverse way. Over the years, one side of the gears gets worn out."

Option 2 quoted from an MB member: stwilson;5366948 "After disconnecting the battery, I pulled the bottom cover off (the one above the gas and break pedals), slid in under there with a flashlight and played with the manual lock lever until I figured out what needed to be done. The manual lock lever (under steering wheel) connects to a plastic slider thing (under/behind dash) that connects to a black plastic threaded rod that fits thru a hole and this engages the locking lever.....the rod was almost invisible, as I did not know what I was looking for and it was not in the hole of the locking lever but dangling in space (it was dark under there and I stumbled upon it by feeling around). The end of this rod had broken off and it was no longer inside the hole on the slider or anchored -only way I know how to say it), which was preventing it from engaging when the locking lever was pushed back into place. I adjusted the steering column to the desired height and then pulled the black plastic threaded rod with a pair of pliers to engage the locking mechanism. Basically, I set it manually."