C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Passenger's seat cannot move forward and back

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 MBZ C230K and '09 MBZ C350
Passenger's seat cannot move forward and back

Just got a '05 Mercedes C230 Kompressor. The passenger's seat (front and right seat) cannot move forward and back. I've tried to pull up the lever in the front part of the seat and it won't let me move the seat.

What is the solution?
Old 12-28-2013, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Take the seat out. There are only four bolts. Unplug the connector(s). Examine the sliding rails. My car had a lollypop stick wedged in it (damn that Kojack). It could also be a broken ball cage and the ***** are jammed. You could get a replacement at a junk yard if needed.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Moviela
Take the seat out. There are only four bolts. Unplug the connector(s). Examine the sliding rails. My car had a lollypop stick wedged in it (damn that Kojack). It could also be a broken ball cage and the ***** are jammed. You could get a replacement at a junk yard if needed.
The "stuck" seat was moved to the back and it stays in there. It won't move forward. Problem: the bolts in the rear are under the rail. I can't unscrew them.

Any solutions? ideas?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
You're going to have to get the rails cleared somehow. Feel along the underside of the seat real guides and see if anything is wedged in there.

What do you feel when you lift up on the seat release and try to move them forward? Does the mechanism feel broken or does the rail feel jammed? It's a pretty simple release lever, so I would be surprised if it were the lever itself.

Assuming you still have the two front bolts tightened, what I would do is (after I have felt around the rails to see if there's something obviously wedged in there), lift up on the lever, ensure that it's disengaging, and then have someone else push the seat forward while sitting in the back seat while the lever is up, using a back and forth rocking motion if necessary.

There has to be a physical reason for why it's not working. My guess is that you're being too gentle with the seat, and what's in there just needs to be dislodged.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 C230K SS
Your seats should be able to move up.....with the seat all the way up can you get to the bolts/inspect for obstruction? I realize this is a rather obvious suggestion that you probably tried already.....
Old 12-31-2013, 01:20 PM

Tommy, the release lever looks fine to me, it can pull up to release. I've pulled the lever up and tried to move the seat forward. It won't move at all. I checked the mechanism under the seat by moving the release lever up (and down), it does look like it's working fine. I guess that the rail is jammed. I was tempting to spray the rails with WD-40, but I think it's not a good idea because WD-40 smells bad. I will have my wife to pull the lever up while I sit in the rear seat, with my feet on the back of the front seat and push. I hope I won't break the seat.

RWDlifer, I've never thought of moving the seat up (power). Thanks for the advice!

Will keep you posted.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:00 PM

FINALLY! My wife and I got the seat moved forward. Here's what we did:

My wife sat in the front seat (passenger's) and I sat in the rear seat. My knees were on the back of the front seat. She pulled up the release lever while I pushed the seat with my knees. We were able to move the seat forward. It was our first try.

I sprayed the rails with silicone spray can and moved the seat forward & back at least 10 times so the silicione would cover the whole rails. Now, the seat can be moved forward-back much more easier.

THANKS to you who gave me the advice!