C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

rear fog light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2003 | 11:10 PM
moomeh

obviously, i need to post pics. this is what happens with my car. i tried the switch with my different pulls and turns and read the manual.

the lights near the knob:

no green or yellowish light on (set on auto in knob/constant lighting in computer": low beams and rear tail-lights on.

green light on only: front fog lights on, a very very very dim appearance of low beams (i'd say none whatsoever) and tail-lights on.

green light and yellowish light on: front fog lights on, low beams on (like normal), tail-lights on, and of course the rear fog light.

i'll post pics tuesday to show wtf i'm talking about. basically, i want only: front fog lights, low beams and tail-lights on. that can only be accomplished in my car by having the rear fog light setting on (ie green and yellowish light on). with only the green light on, the front fog lights are on but i cannot see far since the low beams are not on!
Old 11-22-2003 | 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by moomeh
obviously, i need to post pics. this is what happens with my car. i tried the switch with my different pulls and turns and read the manual.

the lights near the knob:

no green or yellowish light on (set on auto in knob/constant lighting in computer": low beams and rear tail-lights on.

green light on only: front fog lights on, a very very very dim appearance of low beams (i'd say none whatsoever) and tail-lights on.

green light and yellowish light on: front fog lights on, low beams on (like normal), tail-lights on, and of course the rear fog light.

i'll post pics tuesday to show wtf i'm talking about. basically, i want only: front fog lights, low beams and tail-lights on. that can only be accomplished in my car by having the rear fog light setting on (ie green and yellowish light on). with only the green light on, the front fog lights are on but i cannot see far since the low beams are not on!
Take off your sunglasses.

This one keeps getting better. Turn the dial ALL the way to the right. Pull once. Simple.
Old 11-22-2003 | 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
The knob is off up center 12 o'clock. First click to the right or clockwise is Auto, next click is parking lamps and city lights, the next click is full lights. Then pull the knob out one click and get the top light to turn on, that is front fogs. Pull out again and botyh lights are on and that is front fogs and rear fog. You are not understanding what lghts are what.
Old 11-22-2003 | 12:31 AM
moomeh

looks like i found my first major problem. i tried your instructions on a friend's car and it worked. mine didn't.
Old 11-22-2003 | 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
R fog

For the "hey let's throw the rear fog light on in the rain" crowd, I would point out that were you to do that in Europe, you'd be subject to a HEFTY fine.

Rear fog lights are only to be used in fog or snow, with < 50 m of visibility. Anything else is illegal. Simple, no?

Usually it's morons in Volvos and Audis doing this trick...

And some of us wonder why other carmakers disable this rear fog light feature for North America.....sheesh!
Old 11-22-2003 | 09:37 AM
Jens C320

Re: R fog

Originally posted by Mike T.
For the "hey let's throw the rear fog light on in the rain" crowd, I would point out that were you to do that in Europe, you'd be subject to a HEFTY fine.

Rear fog lights are only to be used in fog or snow, with < 50 m of visibility. Anything else is illegal. Simple, no?

Usually it's morons in Volvos and Audis doing this trick...

And some of us wonder why other carmakers disable this rear fog light feature for North America.....sheesh!
I agree, seems to me the Audi A6 Sedan drivers are the worst offenders here, front and both rear fogs on all the time
Old 11-27-2003 | 09:27 PM
moomeh

FIXED. sort of. i really don't know why, but the knob is really stiff when turning all the way (3 to the right). going left, up and down is not a problem. the knob doesn't seem to be able to go to the third click when on the 2nd/3rd pull level before the third click, unless i want to rip the knob off the car (do i make any sense?). anyway, this is more of a temporary fix. service B in 1000-1500 miles. dealer will deal with this then (and the mold smell from the a/c)
Old 12-03-2003 | 10:35 PM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Front fog lights

Don't know about who is using the rear fog light most of the time

BUT is NO contest when it comes to who uses the front fogs the most.

Don't BMW drivers know when it's foggy or what? Almost without exception when some 'dick' comes up behind me with blinding lights it's almost without exception some guy/gal in their BMW with the fogs on.
Old 12-03-2003 | 10:35 PM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Front fog lights

Don't know about who is using the rear fog light most of the time

BUT is NO contest when it comes to who uses the front fogs the most.

Don't BMW drivers know when it's foggy or what? Almost without exception when some 'dick' comes up behind me with blinding lights it's almost without exception some guy/gal in their BMW with the fogs on.
Old 12-04-2003 | 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
BMWs by my house think their cool....ie Fog lights but no headlights...they do this all day and most of the night...cops give tickets for it...I just laugh.

Erik
Old 12-04-2003 | 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally posted by tifosiv122
BMWs by my house think their cool....ie Fog lights but no headlights...they do this all day and most of the night...cops give tickets for it...I just laugh.

Erik
why would they get a ticket for it?
Old 12-04-2003 | 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally posted by AMG BRED
why would they get a ticket for it?
1. Your not allowed to have fog lights on if it is not foggy out...so during the day ticket #1.

2. You are not allowed to drive after 6pm without headlights...foglights don't count, ticket #2.

A ton of my friends have gotten both tickets at different times.
You can get away with it once in a while "officer, I thought the headlights were on...or I didn't realize I turned the fogs on during the day...habbit" but if your a repeat offender or your a kid, your getting a ticket.

Erik
Old 12-04-2003 | 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
FIXED. sort of. i really don't know why, but the knob is really stiff when turning all the way (3 to the right). going left, up and down is not a problem. the knob doesn't seem to be able to go to the third click when on the 2nd/3rd pull level before the third click, unless i want to rip the knob off the car (do i make any sense?). anyway, this is more of a temporary fix. service B in 1000-1500 miles. dealer will deal with this then (and the mold smell from the a/c)
I don't believe I can turn my know either with the fogs enabled. I have never tried it. I always turn the switch to the position I want and then pull to enable fogs. Then again mine are always in Auto position and only turned on when it is foggy out. So I turn from auto to full lights then pull for fogs. Other than that I never have my fogs on unless it is foggy. I am not one of those people who drive with the fogs on just for the hell of it. I used to be when I was younger but I do not feel the need for everyone to see I have fog lights during the day or night. My Bi-Xenons light up enough for me at night that I do not bother with fog lights unless it is foggy.
Old 12-04-2003 | 10:37 AM

Non-MB
I get the impression from this and your earlier posts that you're turning the knob while it's pulled out. (right, pull, right??) In my experience, turn first then pull (i.e., don't pull until you're where you want to be on the "turn" axis).
Old 12-04-2003 | 02:35 PM
moomeh

Originally posted by mostolf
I get the impression from this and your earlier posts that you're turning the knob while it's pulled out. (right, pull, right??) In my experience, turn first then pull (i.e., don't pull until you're where you want to be on the "turn" axis).

yeah, i did that. but i tired turning first and it jams up at the end. i really have to push it. either something is stuck in there or the plastic was molded some how incorrectly. doesn't matter since at service B i will get a new knob.
Old 12-04-2003 | 02:39 PM
moomeh

btw, i use my fog lights for the wide angle it gives when travelling on country roads. it lets me see better if something is coming out in front of me. it is true the fog lights don't go so far out, but it helps a little (and that is better than nothing).
Old 03-19-2007 | 04:47 PM

2003 C240
Sorry about the old thread again, but here's my problem...I think my passenger side rear fog lamp is out, however I havent gotten an error in the dash display. I got a new bulb, and it still doesn't work? Could there be another problem? Not having such a good day....
Old 03-19-2007 | 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
thats how its suppose to work only one side for the rear Fogs

u just wasted money on a new bulb lol j/k but its ok
Old 03-19-2007 | 05:07 PM

2003 C240
Having extra bulbs is always good...now i feel like a jackass...so therfore its quite pointless and stupid looking to drive with the rear fogs on? So in what situation would my passenger rear fog be on and not my driver side rear fog? Sorry i might sound but I guess I need to be clear lol
Old 03-19-2007 | 05:16 PM
Jens C320

Originally Posted by LuxuryC240
Having extra bulbs is always good...now i feel like a jackass...so therfore its quite pointless and stupid looking to drive with the rear fogs on? So in what situation would my passenger rear fog be on and not my driver side rear fog? Sorry i might sound but I guess I need to be clear lol
On cars with LHD (such as the US and most places) the rear fog light would be placed on the left side. Cars with RHD (think England and former English Colonies) the fog light would be on the right side. So always the driver side. There are some cars that have fog lights on both sides, but those would be powered at the same time, not selectively. The point of having only 1 rear fog light is to keep people from thinking that your brake light is stuck on. It also makes it easy to tell which side of the car someone is looking at in dense fog. The rear fog light should only be used if visibility is extremely low (in Germany the law states that you can only use the rear fogs if visibility is less than 50 meters).
Old 03-19-2007 | 05:24 PM

2003 C240
So there is no need to even have a bulb in the right side?? lol thanks for your help!
Old 03-19-2007 | 05:56 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by moomeh
i believe it would be more effective if there were two rear fog lights IMO.
there is an extra bulb on both sides of the car but the bulb on the passenger side never turns on, but if u go to where there is a left hand drive, the passenger side bulb is what turns on. so u if u really tried u can wire the 2 together and get both sides turned on.

but ur rear fog lams should not turn on when u turn on ur front fog lamps. the light knob is a 2 step pull now, the first step turn on the front fog lights and the second step turns on the rear fog lam.
Old 03-19-2007 | 06:45 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
So there is no need to even have a bulb in the right side?? lol thanks for your help!
Just to add what others have said, Australia (from what I remember) is the only country that dual rear foglights.

BTW...don't apologize for bringing up an old thread. This is much better than starting a new thread on a topic that's been discussed so I applaud your efforts for helping the "search" function be consistent / effective.
Old 03-19-2007 | 07:55 PM

2003 C240
ok thanks drex...ive been on the forum since january, and even though I'm not really doing extensive modding, it still ceases to amaze me how much info is on here its unbelievable...

Also, I knew the rear fog lamp was the second pull out, I guess I was just completely clueless as to that it only lit up on the right side...anyways, thanks for your reply and the great explanation by Jens...
Old 03-19-2007 | 08:32 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
not true, i think they are used when u use the park maker lights, its when u turn the knob past the "0" point to wards the left, there a left park marker lights and right park marker lights. so those extra lights do get used not very often.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rear fog light