C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

rear fog light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 08:08 AM
moomeh

rear fog light

stff, couldn't find it. i want to remove the rear fog light. will i get any errors displayed though (just like a regular light going out)? if yes, anyway to bypass the error without a funtioning rear fog light in socket?
Old 11-19-2003, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black C 240
I think all the switch does is light up one of the rear taillights much brighter. I dont think there is a separate bulb for this - but I could be very wrong.
Why remove it? Whats your thought?
Old 11-19-2003, 08:27 AM

why remove anything? just don't use it
Old 11-19-2003, 09:20 AM
moomeh

i don't like it when i use the fog lights and i get the rear fog light turn on. if there were 2 rear fog lights, i would not have a problem. this is for more aesthetic reasons.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:48 AM

Your rear foglight turns on when you turn on your front foglights?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Whoa, there!

The rear foglight is a single light, on the left side for LHD markets. It is turned on separately from the fronts, and thus begs the question of why you want it disabled. If you pull the switch out one click, the front fogs only are lit [the indicator lights to the left of the light switch tell you this]; if you pull it all the way out, to the second stop, then both front and rear fogs are lit.

I can tell you from scary experience that the rear fog is a real life-saver in fog or rainy-spray conditions; it increases the visiblity of the car from the rear at least 200% over the standard running taillights. Why on earth you would want to disable this feature leaves me puzzled, to say the least. If conditions don't warrant using it, don't use it, but it could save your life and the life of the car if you DO use it under the right conditions.

It is especially ironic that BMW and Mini owners have been fighting with BMWUSA to get the rear fogs on their cars enabled for the US market - they have been arriving here for the past few model years with the rear fogs disabled by the onboard computer, and a lot of owners are up in arms about it.

No matter where you live, it is likely that sooner or later this feature will be very useful - in any case, if you use the light switch properly, there is no reason to permanently disable it.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Not to mention that it is a good weapon against tailgators.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:16 PM
moomeh

Originally posted by jrct9454
Whoa, there!

The rear foglight is a single light, on the left side for LHD markets. It is turned on separately from the fronts, and thus begs the question of why you want it disabled. If you pull the switch out one click, the front fogs only are lit [the indicator lights to the left of the light switch tell you this]; if you pull it all the way out, to the second stop, then both front and rear fogs are lit.

I can tell you from scary experience that the rear fog is a real life-saver in fog or rainy-spray conditions; it increases the visiblity of the car from the rear at least 200% over the standard running taillights. Why on earth you would want to disable this feature leaves me puzzled, to say the least. If conditions don't warrant using it, don't use it, but it could save your life and the life of the car if you DO use it under the right conditions.

It is especially ironic that BMW and Mini owners have been fighting with BMWUSA to get the rear fogs on their cars enabled for the US market - they have been arriving here for the past few model years with the rear fogs disabled by the onboard computer, and a lot of owners are up in arms about it.

No matter where you live, it is likely that sooner or later this feature will be very useful - in any case, if you use the light switch properly, there is no reason to permanently disable it.

i want front fog lights and low beams on at the same time. this can only be done when the switched is pulled out and twice right. thus, turning on the rear fog light. unless something is really screw here with my lights, that's how my car operates.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:17 PM
moomeh

Originally posted by vadim
Not to mention that it is a good weapon against tailgators.
i believe it would be more effective if there were two rear fog lights IMO.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:33 PM

2001 C240 6spd
I agree with jrct. I am not sure if you are having some problems with your light switch, but on my 01 240: turn switch to left 3 clicks to turn on headlamps; pull out one click for front fog lights, and pull out one more click if I want rear fog light on. Front fog lamps are separate from rear. The top light indicating front fog lamps on should be lit - I believe green. The bottom light is on when the rear fog lamp is on - amber/yellowish.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by moomeh
i want front fog lights and low beams on at the same time. this can only be done when the switched is pulled out and twice right. thus, turning on the rear fog light. unless something is really screw here with my lights, that's how my car operates.
RTFM
Old 11-19-2003, 03:29 PM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
I will repeat what it says in the manual, what works on my C240, what every MB since the beginning of time has had [I've owned 14 of them since 1968], and what is pointed out above:

-Turn the headlight switch clockwise to the low beam headlight position.

-Pull the knob out ONE CLICK [NOT as far as it will go, which is two clicks].

These two actions turn on the headlights and the front fogs only.

-For the rear fog, pull the knob out the second click.

The indicator to the left of the knob has two lights, one for the front fogs and one for the rear. This could not be easier.

Incidentally, many British cars [Jag, Land Rover] do have 2 rear fogs, but the Continental standard has always been one, on the driver's side or in the center. I think to legally use it on the Continent, visibility has to be down to 50 or 100 or 150 meters [I don't remember the rule], but I can tell you from experience in the very foggy Sacramento valley in the winter that this is a very useful device.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
i believe it would be more effective if there were two rear fog lights IMO.
The rear fog light is only to identify you to a vehicle that is behind you. If they can't see your foglight when it's lit, then having two will not make a difference.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:42 PM

2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
Re: rear fog light

stff, couldn't find it. i want to remove the rear fog light. will i get any errors displayed though (just like a regular light going out)? if yes, anyway to bypass the error without a funtioning rear fog light in socket?
Did you read the owner's manuel??

pull 1 click is front
pull 2 clicks is front & back.

By the way, I'm thinking of rewire my passanger side rear fog light to lit. When I open the housing from the back, the Fog Bulb is there but no wiring for the right side. Maybe I can just extend my left fog wire to the right and see if that will work. :P

Last edited by DL_AMG; 11-19-2003 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: rear fog light

Originally posted by DL_AMG
Did you read the owner's manuel??

pull 1 click is front
pull 2 clicks is front & back.

By the way, I'm thinking of rewire my passanger side rear frog light to lit. When I open the housing from the back, the Frog Bulb is there but no wiring for the right side. Maybe I can just extend my left frog wire to the right and see if that will work. :P
Frog lights?
Old 11-19-2003, 04:26 PM

Acura EL, C230K, 997 C2
Originally posted by jrct9454
Whoa, there!

I agree. The rear fog light is a cool feature. Why turn it off?
Old 11-19-2003, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Re: Re: Re: rear fog light

Originally posted by Lynn
Frog lights?
Ribbit! They're aimed really low so you can see the green glow of the frog's eyes as he watches you run him over.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:52 PM

2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
Re: Re: Re: rear fog light

Originally posted by Lynn
Frog lights?
frog=fog.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
It can go 'right' twice.

1st step is corner lights
2nd step is headlight

You can pull it out twice...

1st out is fogs (front)
2nd is rear fogs

When you pull out the knob a green light will light up under the switch for the front lights...a red light will light up for the rears upon the second pull.

I think your pulling too hard...try it slowly...there should be 2 stages of pull out.

Erik
Old 11-20-2003, 06:14 PM
moomeh

i don't think anyone is understanding what i'm saying. i did read the manual and well aware of the pulls and the turns.

imagine staring at the benz from the front. the car is on "constant" lighting set through the settings. you tell someone in the car to put the fog lights on by pulling and to the right once. the car, with the low-beams on from the "constant" settings, turn off and the fog lights turn on. you notice a slight bit of light coming from where the low beams were on, but are not that bright. you tell that someone again to turn the knob to the right (so its, pull right right) and with the fog lights already on, the low beams come on. you go to the rear, and you notice that the rear fog light is also on.

so i cannot go driving around with the "pull then right" setting since i will only have fog lights on and their distance of light isn't exactly far. so the "pull then right right" setting will allow me to see better since the low beams come on.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
WTF is going on here. You pull once for front and twice for rear. If you do not understand that one pull is front and two is rear, or your friends do not then it is time to trade for a lesser car with only front fog lights. I have never once turned on my rear fog light accidentally. But I tell you one thing I have used it in fog and seen it from the rear in fog and it helps see what side of the car is in front of you as well as keep asswads from rear-ending you.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
i don't think anyone is understanding what i'm saying. i did read the manual and well aware of the pulls and the turns.
If "right right pull" turns on the rear fog you have a problem with your car. It should be "right right pull pull".

If that is the case...what happens when you pull it out a second time?

Does both the red and green indicators show up? When? During the first pull or the second?

Erik
Old 11-20-2003, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
I can't believe I'm reading this. All C-Class lights work the same way. Youre either pulling the light switch out all the way(instead of stopping at the first pull detent) or your left rear bulb is clocked 180 degrees incorrectly.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series

imagine staring at the benz from the front. the car is on "constant" lighting set through the settings. you tell someone in the car to put the fog lights on by pulling and to the right once. the car, with the low-beams on from the "constant" settings, turn off and the fog lights turn on. you notice a slight bit of light coming from where the low beams were on, but are not that bright. you tell that someone again to turn the knob to the right (so its, pull right right) and with the fog lights already on, the low beams come on. you go to the rear, and you notice that the rear fog light is also on.

so i cannot go driving around with the "pull then right" setting since i will only have fog lights on and their distance of light isn't exactly far. so the "pull then right right" setting will allow me to see better since the low beams come on.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:09 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Moomeh:

With all due respect, everyone who owns this car except you knows how to use this feature. Don't ask someone else to sit in the driver's seat - they clearly are misusing the switch - do it yourself, follow directions from the posters and what it says in the manual, and I can assure you the system will work as advertised.

Occasionally, I have taken the switch only to the parking light position, when I really meant to turn on the headlights. Beyond that, it is important to remember to set the headlight position of the switch BEFORE attempting to turn on the fogs. Each time you modify the basic light switch setting, turn off the fogs completely, then pull out just one click. Get someone at the dealership to show you, if still in doubt. All of the rest of us KNOW it works this way, because we do it all the time....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rear fog light