C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Replacing ipod integration with Aux input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 c230
Replacing ipod integration with Aux input

Hi all

My 2006 c230 has the ipod integration kit, but I have an android phone. I'd like to install an aux input. What's the best way to go about doing it? I've read the various guides and was a little confused about which aux cable I need to buy (apparently one attaches near door trim, one behind COMAND). Also, is there any way to just use a female ipod to 3.5 mm adapter? I've read reviews going both ways saying they sometimes work with built in car ipod docks-- anyone tried this successfully?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The 2006 cars often did not have the wire from the rear of the head unit to the door sill. If the wire was there in the door sill it would have been disconnected by the installation of the iPod system. There is only one AUX input on the headunit. You can have the iPod or the minijack, but not both.

If you can hold the CDC button until the AUX appears on the display you can use any of the female 30 pin adapters with a 3.5mm stereo plug on it. No mod required, and iPod still works.

You can also buy the terminals for the head unit and make your own cable, but that seems like a ton of work compared to buying an iPod dock adapter to 3.5mm plug.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:53 PM

2006 c230
Originally Posted by Moviela
The 2006 cars often did not have the wire from the rear of the head unit to the door sill. If the wire was there in the door sill it would have been disconnected by the installation of the iPod system. There is only one AUX input on the headunit. You can have the iPod or the minijack, but not both.

If you can hold the CDC button until the AUX appears on the display you can use any of the female 30 pin adapters with a 3.5mm stereo plug on it. No mod required, and iPod still works.

You can also buy the terminals for the head unit and make your own cable, but that seems like a ton of work compared to buying an iPod dock adapter to 3.5mm plug.
Thanks for the reply. I'd much rather just use an adapter to the ipod cable, but I read so many people saying it didn't work--- did this work for you and which adapter did you use?

specifically, I'm looking at this one:
Amazon.com: Audio iPod iPhone input converter to regular MP3 plug - iPod Iphone Female End to 3.5mm Male plug cable: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Audio iPod iPhone input converter to regular MP3 plug - iPod Iphone Female End to 3.5mm Male plug cable: MP3 Players & Accessories

some people are saying it works in their car, others not =/ product description says does not work in factory installed ipod cable from bmw/mb etc

Oh and I dont have a CDC button, but when I go into Audio I can see an Aux button on the LCD

Last edited by xinlitik; 01-24-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
y downgrade to aux...
just install this...
http://www.viseeo.com/ugC_ShowroomIt...p?hidShowID=15
Old 01-25-2014, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Originally Posted by MJ50
y downgrade to aux...
just install this...
http://www.viseeo.com/ugC_ShowroomIt...p?hidShowID=15
This is an excellent choice @ $100. It still uses the Aux input wires, but allows continued use of the iPod. What makes it much better than cable connections is that you don't need to plug the phone into a mini plug every time.

The problem with the cable versions is sometimes the pin 18 of the Apple side needs a 3.3v wake up voltage. Not all cables support this. It only takes two resistors to implement, but it sure makes a messy install.

Bluetooth is always the best choice.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:03 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Does it still connect to the iPod? I don't see that in the description and the connector seems to be lacking. I'd like to keep both.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:47 AM

2006 c230
I'm ok with having just an aux--are you aware of any female ipod to aux cables that include that wake up voltage? The issue with that MMI one is that it looks like it requires unplugging the ipod connector and replacing it with that device. If I were to do that, I may as well just use the MB aux cable for half the price. Thanks!

Amazon.com: CableJive dockBoss: Instantly upgrade your audio dock. Connect iPhone or Android smartphones and tablets to a pre-iPhone 5 audio dock. Compatible with Bose SoundDock, iHome, JBL, and many other popular audio docks.: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: CableJive dockBoss: Instantly upgrade your audio dock. Connect iPhone or Android smartphones and tablets to a pre-iPhone 5 audio dock. Compatible with Bose SoundDock, iHome, JBL, and many other popular audio docks.: MP3 Players & Accessories
would this one work?

Last edited by xinlitik; 01-28-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 PM

2008 C300
iPod connector loose

Sorry, this is my first post, so hope I am on right thread.

I have the iPod integration kit option on my C300. About a month ago, the white plastic cover on the plug connector broke into pieces. When I plug my phone in, I get an "error"message. So, I think the wires are loose or not connecting right.

Can I just buy an iPhone plug (like the one I use to charge at home) and cut the wires and replace the one in my glovebox? As a bonus, I would actually like to buy a longer cord and move to center console....glovebox is a pain.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-01-2014, 02:20 PM

2006 c230
Has anyone confirmed that the WMA1000 works in an older model like a 2006? And it works ok with android? It seems like it was made for 2009 and later models, and people are saying it doesn't work very well with androids. In particular, I was wondering if I can still use my car's stock bluetooth for calls while also playing music through the device, since I'm happy with the car's microphone.