C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Audio Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Problem

Picked up my new coupe on Friday. On Sunday, i stopped to get gas. When i started it and hit the "CD" button, it said "No Changer" (of course i do have one). After the next restart though, it was working. The next day (Today) i drove in to work, everything working just fine. But then i took a co-worker for a ride, and neither the CD nor the radio worked! It said "no changer" and for the radio it would not emit any sound. How embarassing!

I took it to the dealer who worked on it right away. Unfortunately they have to order a part. Apparantly its a bad amplifier. Does it make sense that a bad amp could make the car not know it has a changer installed?

Oh well, hope that this is the only problem i ever have
Old 03-11-2002, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Suprisingly yes. MB through it's infinite wisdom created the DB2 fiber loop of the entire audio system. If the loop is broken because of a faulty fiber wire or device then the whole system fails. Now you know why a Benz costs more than a Honda, engineering like that doesn't come cheap.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:45 PM

03 W8 Passat Variant
I sure hope the autoweek people don't get ahold of this

They might claim our audio systems are built in Korea like our seats.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:55 AM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Suprisingly yes. MB through it's infinite wisdom created the DB2 fiber loop of the entire audio system. If the loop is broken because of a faulty fiber wire or device then the whole system fails. Now you know why a Benz costs more than a Honda, engineering like that doesn't come cheap.
Hold up Buellwinkle I have a question.
"If the loop is broken because of a faulty fiber wire or device then the whole system fails."
Is that true?

<B><U>Example Given</U></B>
If I have a phone installed and the response from the protocol fails to report a phone, or the fiber loop to the phone is broken does my CD Changer fail to register or does this only apply within hierarchichally dependent elements?

I have to hazard a guess that the Engineers at MB did not build a tightly coupled system. State machines couple dependent or hierachical elements tightly. Is the Fiber Network in an MB designed in this manner or is it more loosely coupled as in 802.11b. Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
If the fiber loop failes, you will lose all functionality since it is a loop system. If a compaonent goes bad, the systems may still function IF the failed componet still lets the light in the fiber pass.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:40 AM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
I guess then only the secondary systems are on fibre loop. Is that correct?
Old 03-12-2002, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by WyattEarp
I guess then only the secondary systems are on fibre loop. Is that correct?
The fiber loop includes (If Equipped): The Radio, Amp, CD Changer, TeleAid, Cell Phone, Voice Recognition Module.

There are other system in the vehicle that run off the CAN BUS both internal and external. I do not think these systems in the CAN Bus are fiber however. They prob. use multiplexed wiring for them.
Old 03-12-2002, 02:33 AM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
not that it is highly relevant, but this seems to be typical, my mom's ML320 had the same problem.

Last edited by dasMafia; 03-12-2002 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
The can bus is a twisted pair bus that everything just connects to at some central point (in the drivers footwell I think). All systems listen, whoever needs/wants to transmits. For instance, selecting reverse the gear stick sends "driver selected reverse", another module turns on the reverse lights, the over-head-control panel tells the mirrors to un-dip etc etc

CANbus can cope with one of its pair shorted to ground, or to positive, and with lots of electical noise on the bus etc etc. Its essentially a serial bus.

There are two main CANbus's, one in the engine , one in the interior, that run at different speeds. The electronic ignition switch acts as a gateway between the two CANbus's.

As U can imagine, (1) CAN saves lots of wiring and (2) means lots more interaction between systems so you get nice functionality.

On the new SL, there is an additional diagnostic module that sits on the CANbus listening for interesting events that the dealer can then read, such as exactly why/what caused an alarm to trigger etc etc.

The D2B bus is used only for the audio systems, and in fact on the new E class is replaced with a system called MOST.