C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Did I just lose my antenna piece?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240
Angry Did I just lose my antenna piece?

Hi,

I am a pretty frustrated new owner of a 2002 C240. I've had the car for 2.5 months and went to the dealer 4-5 times already. I'd just about had it when I found out that I probably have to go back again.

The first time I used my windshield wiper, the rubber piece in the wiper fell out. It's really annoying, but it's so minor, I let it go. Then my SRS malfunction light came on after one week of purchasing. Turned out that the occupancy sensor beneath the passenger seat had water/rust in it (airbag wouldn't have launched). Took them 1 week+ to fix it, and they told me my car probably had a window open before I bought it, letting a lot of rain in. Then my trunk couldn't be opened after I used the mechanical key to lock it. Another problem was my poor my radio reception, and this one took me so much time/effort/complainig before they even recognized that there was a problem (I had to go to the corporate). After all the drama, they replaced the real windshield and a few other things to make the radio decently working (not perfect).

By now I am praying that I won't have to go back to the dealer until my first scheduled maintanance. Today I find that the little black stub on the windshield fell off! I don't think anyone broke it, but half of it is gone!

I really really question the integrity of MB's assembly AND their QA process. How come the little things fall off and make trouble non-stop? All the service consultants at this dealer cringe at the sight of me, and I think that this is probably my first and last Mercedes.

My question is -- how expensive is this fix? I am sure they will charge me this time. Should I just have them order the part and attempt to screw it on myself? Is it even doable? Anyone?
Old 03-12-2002, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
It just screws on. Since they replaced your rear window they had to put in on...and they probably did not tighten it enough. Make them pay for it and don't take no for an anwer. Don't give up hope yet. Once the 'bugs' are all worked out you should be fine.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:45 PM

2002 C240
Does the lost piece have to do with...

Maybe you guys know if the piece that I lost has any effect on the radio reception. Coincidentally I thought this morning (before I saw the missing piece) that my radio sounded worse than when it was fixed. But I just don't know for sure because the radio is tempermental and imperfect to begin with. I don't feel like asking the dealer because they will invariably say "working to specs."
Old 03-12-2002, 05:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Re: Does the lost piece have to do with...

Originally posted by jkoh
Maybe you guys know if the piece that I lost has any effect on the radio reception. Coincidentally I thought this morning (before I saw the missing piece) that my radio sounded worse than when it was fixed. But I just don't know for sure because the radio is tempermental and imperfect to begin with. I don't feel like asking the dealer because they will invariably say "working to specs."
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the little "stub" antenna is for the Tele-Aid, and the radio antenna is in the back windsheid.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
I believe that's correct, the antenna is embedded in the rear windshield along w/ the rear defogger.

Jkoh, sorry to hear about your experiences. I bought my 2002 C240 last August, and I've had absolutely no problems so far in 6100 miles. I agree that once you get your radio straightened out you'll probably be fine. Hang in there!
Old 03-12-2002, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Next time you buy a car check the JD Powers long term dependability survey. You'll see that MB is #10. This I feel is generous. You have purchased one of the finest exotic automobiles made in Brazil. That's as good as it gets. If you want dependability you get a Lexus or a Jag. Personally I like the loosly built finicky troublesome fun, some call it character and the MBs have lots of character. The $50K cars they give me as a loaner when my $25K breaks is great. I've had 6 loaners and couldn't be happier. I'm looking forward to #7.
Old 03-12-2002, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Buellwinkle

I can understand your frustration, but Jaguar as dependable in comparison to a Lexus, no way!!! Talk about a piece of junk, with beautiful leather might I add. The Lexus is very dependable, and the Mercs can be as well. I am disturbed with the problems I have been reading from you guys with the c-class. It seems as if the quality control is not quite there on the small series cars. From what I remember it was this way as well with the 190's when they forst hit our shores. And the first 300 series E's that came here. All had terrible A/C issues, compressors, and dash electronics were replaced regularly. First time MB had tried the single Serpentine belt on an engine, and apparently picke dthe wrong compressor to handle the constant revs with the engine. Anyways, what I am getting at is all these were worked out by within the next two model years. Those of you that buy first year series of vehicles should know to expect problems. That is why for many decades you have heard never buy the first year production of a new model. ALways problems and recalls. I do not care who manufactured it. Rolls had issues with new models, Aston Martin, Bentley, and BMW and some recent fires with the new x and 3 and 5 series. Not unique to MB. If you are expecting perfection in automobile, I believe you always come up short. If you shoot for moslty dependable, and add a bunch of creature comforts, than you have a MB.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I know is JD Powers put Jag as #3 and MB as #10 and I think that's unfair to #11. I have had my 2002 MB (not the first model year, that was 2001) in several times for repairs, my buddy with a 2002 Jag X-Type (first model year) has had no problems. How can you compare the reliability of a Jag or Lexus to a Benz, they're not even in the same league. I'm not complaining, I knew what I was getting myself into when I took it home. I've had 3 other MBs and none have been very reliable. One was taken back under the lemon law. The replacement had the transmission and horn replaced the first week. My parents E class caught on fire while driving on the freeway. Why didn't I get the Jag or Lexus? I like driving the Benz and it was cheap. The Jag and Lexus where about 5-8K more and were boring cars to drive. Now that the new Audi is out I might have bought that except the dealers are 20 miles away.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:30 PM

03 W8 Passat Variant
The car wash guys actually unscrewed my Teleaid antenna the other day. I was surprised and it was a handwash.

I had to tighten it though.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had my antenna stolen by some idiot a while ago. MAKE SURE your dealer has the right part for you, because the antenna comes in "male" and "female". The first time they ordered the base instead of the antenna, the second time they ordered the "female" antenna, the third time they ordered the "female" base. Finally, they have the right one after 4 full weeks!!!! MAKE QUARTRIBLE sure that they will order the right part for you!!!
Old 03-12-2002, 08:19 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by mleskovar
It just screws on. Since they replaced your rear window they had to put in on...and they probably did not tighten it enough. Make them pay for it and don't take no for an anwer. Don't give up hope yet. Once the 'bugs' are all worked out you should be fine.
Mleskovar has the right story, and I'd stick to it. These Teleaid antennas simply unscrew with vibration. I have to tighten mine once every six months. MB uses the same design (albeit male and female versions) on all their cars from the lowly C-Class UP. So, I don't believe it's fair to say it's a cheaper Mercedes only issue.

But that's it. Nowhere near the complaints others have had. Certainly nothing major. IMO, it seems to me that there is alot of nit-picking on this forum. (I'm not the first to say that.)
Old 03-12-2002, 09:48 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Any chance your 240 was built-in Brazil?
Old 03-13-2002, 12:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Hmmm, the Jag X type. Isn't this the car where the exhaust fell off during a review??

I don't think you can judge the dependability of a car based on one person's experience. I know a few people that have owned many MBs without experiencing any major/unusual problems.

Mine -- 3 months old, and running like a dream.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:40 PM

2002 C240
My next car

will be a Lexus. I really can't stand having to go back to the dealer every two weeks. I don't care if they are major bugs, little bugs, or features. My beat up Nissan Sentra from the 80's was fixed once, in almost seven years I owned it (second hand). A Toyata will do just as well.