C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Pioneer Head Unit concerns... shops are confusing me (Houston) PLEASE help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c240
Pioneer Head Unit (no power) (see LAST post)

Hello all,
I'm looking to install a Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS double din HU soon. I have already bought
-ASWC-1 adapter
-W203 Install Kit
-Parking brake bypass
-HU itself
As far as I know, that's everything I need, although I may have forgotten something. I have went to a few places in Houston to see what they would charge to install.
The 3rd shop I went to, which was more than likely the "most credible" I've been to (Car Stereo Outlet) said that the ASWC-1 might not work with my car because of "fiber optic cables" even though everyone here, I think, is using that part. Additionally, they gave me the highest quote.
I went to Car Toys and they just sounded retarded. "You will need a fully custom install" bla bla bla "Double Din won't fit" BS BS BS so I'm not going to waste my time with them.
The other place I went to honestly sounded the most knowledgeable, but they only had a few reviews online and they weren't they greatest... I was looking at them because they are the closest to my house and offered the cheapest install.

With that said, I'll probably just end up doing it myself. However, after looking around for hours on here and other places, I've only gotten more confused. Some say if you need the steering wheel function, you HAVE to get it professionally done. It's the first time I've seen those words together. Is that true?
I'm aware that the 12v wire from the cigarette lighter must go into the HU. My mom spilt coke into that years ago and shorted out the lighter... is the wire still OK? Can I use it? How would I go about fixing that if not?
Which walkthrough is the most accurate for a new Pioneer unit? Most of the DIY's on here are very old and I'm not sure what all has changed.

I'm sure i'll think of more questions later... but for now I'd like these answered, please. I appreciate it very much and just want a good install on my car...whether I get it done by someone else or if I do it.

Last edited by ildd; 06-21-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
I had a Pioneer X940BT installed in my '05 C230 so I can't tell you all the ins and outs but there are a few things I might be able to help you with.

Some places seem to have the wrong information about Mercedes and their radio form factor. At the time I bought my HU, Crutchfields said the double din X940BT wouldn't fit (and they're supposed to know it all). There are threads on this forum about installing a double din HU in your car with pictures so I know it's possible.

I didn't have any fibre to my HU. I think the fibre is used with an external amp so if that's the case, you'd want to hook your speakers directly to your HU.

There is no reason that you wouldn't be able to install the steering wheel controls (I had it done because I'm a wuss when it comes to wires. I just don't do that sort of stuff enough to be confident.), but it from talking with the guy who installed my HU, it should be pretty straightforward.

I doubt you'll be able to get a shop to install the parking brake bypass since it is illegal (at least in some places). That is something that shouldn't be that difficult to do. I haven't done it because the number of times I need to do something while driving that requires the parking brake to be set is pretty small. It would OCCASIONALLY be useful to enter a new address in the GPS, but it is rare. Other than configuration, you generally need to set the parking brake when you enter (type) something. You don't need to set the parking brake when you choose a location from a list like your history or saved locations.

If your HU didn't come with installation instructions, you can download them from Pioneer's website. There is also a forum for their HU here (http://avic411.com/) that has good information.

I don't think you'll need to worry about your cigarette lighter problem since the HU should have its own power feed. In any event, all that will be taken apart to install the HU so you should be able to rectify your cigarette lighter issue then and you can use that power if you need to. Your mom probably shorted out the lighter and the fuse blew. Replacing the fuse should be all you need to do.

I assume by "W203 install kit" you mean the dash kit. You will also need a wiring harness (goes between the HU and the car wiring). I got mine from Amazon. That should help "normalize" the instructions for your particular HU. I doubt they are that different anyway.

Hopefully, that gets you a little further down the road.

Let us know how it works out and if you need any more help. Also, don't forget to post some pictures of it!
Old 06-15-2014, 12:18 AM

2002 c240
NCmudbug,
Thanks for the info. To answer the last question first, yes, I meant dash kit. That arrived today and it came with the DD Mount, wiring harness and antenna adapter. I think I'm covered there.

I should have the head unit here by Thursday. I got it off Amazon, but it was not prime-eligible. I'll have to wait to see what all comes in it.

Fibre optic- from what I understand, those are mainly used if I want to put the stock radio back in. I can't bend them too much.
I'm getting the parking brake thing because I enjoy going on roadtrips and would like the option for my passengers to be able to watch DVD movies. I won't be getting the add-on GPS unit (because $300) and I'll be fine with my phones GPS. Hopefully.

Hopefully the 12V wire still works and it was only the fuse. I was in the car when she did it and there was a big spark. But that was over 5 years ago... I'm still confused about that part though. I may be misunderstanding but I thought I had to take the 12v wire from the lighter and hook it up to the HU.

I have a friend that has done a HU install on his truck and he was willing to help me out. Hopefully I can have this done by Saturday, pending my work schedule.

Last edited by ildd; 06-15-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sounds good! Let us know how it turns out!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 PM

2002 c240
I'm still confused about a couple wiring things because I can't tell if it's a model-specific wire switch or if it goes for ALL HU's. Like, for example, the Avic Z1 DIY says to switch the yellow and pink wires (ACC 12V and battery 12V) but something just isn't clicking for me. Is the yellow battery 12V from the cigarette lighter? This is the thing that is most confusing me and I'm just going back and forth to what it means, and honestly it's stressing me out

The other thing I'm "worried" about is the parking brake bypass; though i'll figure that out once it gets here.
I'm wary of the AVIC Z1 DIY because it has a bunch of extra stuff my HU doesn't have, such as the GPS and Sirius XM unit, and I'm still not all sure what goes to what. That's why in my OP I was asking which DIY is most accurate for my HU.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Remain calm... Think nice thoughts... It will be ok. Really!

I just re-read your earlier post. You might want to tap into your cigarette lighter for power. If you do that, you will need to turn on your car to run the HU as the cigarette lighter doesn't work with the car off. There is no way a soda would hurt the wire. It might have corroded a connection (I suspect this is unlikely) or more likely blown a fuse. Either way, it should be pretty obvious what to do when you and your friend get into it.

I can't help with specifics of you installation, but since you have a more simple situation, it should be a lot easier. When you get the instructions, sort out all the parts, and your friend comes over, I suspect it will start to make sense. Your friend will know this but a probe to tell when a wire is hot will probably be very useful.

Just make sure you give your friend a couple of GOOD beers AFTER it's installed!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:46 PM

2002 c240
Right, that's what I was hoping for. I'm no electrician but I was thinking the wire would be alright. So I must take the wire out and connect it to the HU, correct?

I've already looked at the ASWC-1 instructions and labeled the 4 wires that need to be messed with. Finding the two in the car will hopefully be as easy.
Again, thanks for the help NC. I'll be sure to post pictures when it gets done.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You can get a tap or splice to take power from that wire so it can still be used for the cigarette lighter.

Good luck! Can't wait to see the pictures!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:16 PM

2002 c240
Well, good news and bad news.
Good news- the HU came in Thursday and I embarked on the journey this morning (about 10am). It took me about an hour to remove trim both up top and in the center.

Bad news- my friend had to suddenly go to Mississippi on Friday and I ended up trying to do this myself. I thought I had everything hooked up correctly, but I have no power to the unit.

Here's what all I did "out of the ordinary" (although from what I understand, necessary for W203)
-switched ACC and constant 12v (yellow and red) cables from the harness to the HU on both sides
-took the yellow with black stripe wire(HU harness) and spliced with black with yellow stripe wire going to cigarette lighter. Same with ASWC-1.
There was nowhere to ground the wires in the dash and I did a couple quick searches and I found it acceptable to combine all ground wires (aswc-1, hu, car harness). True or not?

As far as I know, that's the only parts where I might have screwed up. Can someone, again, help me please?
Old 06-22-2014, 11:05 AM

2002 c240
Please... Anyone... I'm really close. Can someone help me?
Old 06-22-2014, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ildd
Please... Anyone... I'm really close. Can someone help me?
Well, as I said, I don't know any of the specifics of installing the HU. I assume you are using the wires correctly on the harness. Since you're not getting power to the HU, did you make sure the wire you're tapping is hot? Check it with a volt meter or a light. You mentioned before that your cigarette lighter wasn't working. Did you fix that?

There should be nothing wrong with ganging up the ground wires. Make sure they are attached to an acceptable ground. Make sure that there is nothing to insulate it from the car's chassis like paint. I would test your power to the HU by using the ground you're using.

I'm afraid you have probably already been down those paths... Hopefully, that helps a little and hopefully someone else who knows about this will speak up. I'm a poor source for lots of things, but probably especially this!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:57 PM

2002 c240
I know I have a volt meter somewhere but can't find it. I took a little light and tapped it onto the spliced wires and it didn't light up. I did not check the fuse as I was having...difficulties... with the cupholder/lighter shelves.
I tried wiring the ACC/12V's from the harness two more ways today but with still no luck. I'll probably just bring it up to a local indy shop (lead mechanic/coowner is good friends with my dad, does most of our work) and ask him for help.
And yes, the harnesses are all plugged in tightly and all the other wires are crimped together correctly. I'm only having problems with constant 12V (yellow on both harnesses) and ACC (red on both harnesses)
Old 06-22-2014, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That sounds like your problem: no juice no radio.

Post a picture of it all put together when it's working!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:51 PM

2002 c240
Yep. Oh well. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY I can get it fixed tomorrow after work.

I'm just mad that I'll have to drive me car with no radio or A/C on a 93F day in bad traffic :/
At least the windows work still work.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bummer... Bummer...

Like I said before - think happy thoughts like how much you'll like your car when it's all done. You won't be any cooler but you'll be happier!
Old 06-22-2014, 02:36 PM

2002 c240
If everything works right I'll be very happy
Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM

2002 c240
Well, step in the right direction. I replaced the cig lighter fuse today and it now gives off power (plugged cell hpone charger in and it now worked). Thought I was good to go, pressed the reset button n HU and still nothing. Here are pictures of the power wiring. As far as I know, it's all correct, right?

*have already re-wrapped cig lighter 12v with electrical tape

Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Head Unit concerns... shops are confusing me (Houston) PLEASE help.-zz1.png   Pioneer Head Unit concerns... shops are confusing me (Houston) PLEASE help.-zz2.png  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is your HU grounded?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:25 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by ncmudbug
Is your HU grounded?
Yes. I grounded the ASWC-1 and HU into the vehicles harness ground.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Realize I'm grasping at straws, but are you sure you are getting 12 volts between the vehicle's harness ground and the power source for the HU?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 PM

2002 c240
I have no way of testing that because I can't find my voltmeter.
I'll probably end up taking it to a shop tomorrow after work and get some "pro" help. I'm praying they won't charge me more than $20 considering they, at most, change a couple wires and test the current out.
Of course, that's if I can't get a definitive solution by morning.
I sincerely appreciate the help NC.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You could use a test light if you have one and can't find your volt meter.

Whatever happens, good luck with the indy and let us know what happens.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007 c280
Does the cig lighter still work? Might be pulling too much juice off that fuse and popped it.

I installed a AVH1500BT in my c280 and powered my steering wheel interface off of the switched 12v for the radio. Not the ACC power to the lighter wire. Also, try seperate ground points.

Also, the bypass DID NOT WORK on my pioneer. The unit was too smart for that old relay trick so I had to put the ground on a flipper switch which I mounted in the ash tray. Just start the car and flip the switch back and forth so the radio sees a switched ground. I also highly rec you throw some solder on those unions. Or at the least use some wire taps.

While the radio is out I would also run all your aux and iphone interface wires. I must admit, I do love watching netflix via my iphone on my headunit on roadtrips. Id also run the rear backup cam wires. Even if you plan to never use them. Pulling that HU out is a huge PITA.

Good luck.

Last edited by Stuka Bomber; 06-24-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:49 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by Stuka Bomber
Does the cig lighter still work? Might be pulling too much juice off that fuse and popped it.

I installed a AVH1500BT in my c280 and powered my steering wheel interface off of the switched 12v for the radio. Not the ACC power to the lighter wire. Also, try seperate ground points.

Also, the bypass DID NOT WORK on my pioneer. The unit was too smart for that old relay trick so I had to put the ground on a flipper switch which I mounted in the ash tray. Just start the car and flip the switch back and forth so the radio sees a switched ground. I also highly rec you throw some solder on those unions. Or at the least use some wire taps.

While the radio is out I would also run all your aux and iphone interface wires. I must admit, I do love watching netflix via my iphone on my headunit on roadtrips. Id also run the rear backup cam wires. Even if you plan to never use them. Pulling that HU out is a huge PITA.

Good luck.
Stuka,
Yes, the cig lighter works. It was not functional up until yesterday when I changed the fuse.

So for the steering wheel controls, you took the ACC wire and attached it to the black/yellow wire from the HU?(I think it was labeled "mute")

I see no where to ground on the front. It's all plastic or foam. Where did you ground?

The ASWC-1 takes up the HU AUX jack, but I already have the USB and microphone cable hooked up. They're currently sitting in my cup holder...
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it's raining all week and I don't get off work until 4 each day so I really can't do much until Saturday unless I figure it out myself. I'll keep you guys updated...
Old 06-27-2014, 07:13 PM

2002 c240
Great news guys!
Replaced the radio fuse and the damn thing came on! Played with it a little bit and all seems to be working well... except for the FM/AM reception.
It's... atrocious would be an understatement.
At first, I noticed it wasn't plugged in all the way. So I pushed it a little father and it didn't help at all.
From my 7 minutes of googling, I have to buy an antenna amplifier but everything I saw was rather vague. And one source said the "right part"must come from Germany.
Here's the thing though. I rarely ever use the radio. Even now since I can use my phone, I don't think I'll ever really use it. My concern is for the future owner (should I sell it) and passengers (but, again, phone/AUX). Would it be worth it?

(Will post pics when I get everything in again)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Head Unit concerns... shops are confusing me (Houston) PLEASE help.