C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2 Malfunctions: 1 is Tail Light L Substitute Lamp On

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
2 Malfunctions: 1 is Tail Light L Substitute Lamp On

I know this one might be straight forward, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I received this message earlier on the drive to work out of the blue, car was fine all day yesterday. Anyway, once I got to work, I went into the trunk and disconnected both connectors and inspected them (both look good) and reconnected them. Upon turning the lights back on now I had the above error, plus a check L lamp or bulb or something came up with it.

Solutions seem to be to either clean the connectors, or replace a bulb. However, I'm not sure what bulb I'm replacing. I'm sure L side is drivers side, though.

I tested the lights and both turn signals work, rear fog light works, top light is on and when I press the brakes the top lights shine brighter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't both my lower rower lights turn on, and the top be off unless I press the brake (or vice versa?)

I have not paid much attention to the rear lights since I got the car, so please excuse my ignorance. With that being said, are BOTH sides out if the above applies, or just one, and the car supplements the error by using both supplemental lights.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
One thing I think everyone should do every few years is replace all the tail lights on the car as well as clean all the connectors. On the early w203s they were known to put out to much voltage to the rear lights and burn them out prematurely. I had to buy the kit to fix the rear tail lights and tag lights to stop it from happening so often. If you haven't changed your bulbs in the last 5 years just look up the numbers and get some good quality replacements for everything and save the old bulbs for spares.