C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2002 C240 Will Not Start After Jumping And Replacing Battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240
2002 C240 Will Not Start After Jumping And Replacing Battery

Yesterday I received the warning that the under voltage warning. I stopped by the local auto parts store and they tested the battery and alternator and determined the alternator had failed. They told me I had enough battery to make it home. Unfortunately they were wrong and the car died on the road. I jumped it and it started right away. Began driving again and the car shut off less than a mile down the road.

I pulled the battery and took it home to charge fully. I put it in and still it will not start. It turns over without issue. I checked and there is fuel pressure. It seems like it is not firing. I searched online and saw a few mentions that the key may short when jumping so I tried the second key and still nothing.

The car is turning over. As it sits I have replaced the alternator. It is getting fuel to the engine. It seems like for some reason it is not firing.

Is there a security setting that disables the car after jumping it or removing the battery?

Is there a fuse that may have blown and if so any hints as to which one and where it is located?

Can jumping the car cause the CPS to break? I have seen on other forums that this is a common issue but I am not sure what symptoms the car shows that would identify this issue.

I am just hoping to get an idea of what might be wrong and then possible solutions. The car is in a parking lot currently and I am hoping to either figure out what might be wrong and if I can handle it or if I need to get a tow to a repair shop.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
If you have >55psi fuel pressure the next thing to check is that you have spark.

Start enable fuses are 31, 52 & 57. 52 is OK or it would not crank. Check the others

It could be a CPS problem.

Try to read codes with a scanner.