C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Valve Cover Gasket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve Cover Gasket

hello:

Please take a look at the following valve cover diagram for my car:

Take a look at the piece pointed by the blue arrow.

Lets call that piece PCV cover for now. In my car, oil is leaking from this PCV cover. It looks like the gasket is worn out. Here are my questions:
[1] Is it possible to purchase this PCV cover gasket only?
[2] What is the proper name for this PCV cover for Mercedes engine?
[3] Is the leak ONLY caused by worn gasket or the PCV cover itself needs to be replaced also (may be clogged)? I know PCV valve on most engines need to be replaced periodically. The mileage on my car is 125K.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-29-2015, 03:52 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
I'd say valve cover and valve cover gasket, respectively.
Or is there a separate cover as part of the valve cover in your case?

Have you been to parts.com or mbpartsworld etc? They have diagrams with part numbers, names, prices.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:25 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
That looks like M112 engine's valve cover.
That valve cover has removable ventilation covers. Remove those covers, clean up all the sealant around the groove for those covers, clean the small hole for ventilation pipe in the cover, use good sealant when putting those covers back.

This document is for ML, but you get the idea.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Valve_Covers_removal_4.pdf (228.7 KB, 515 views)
Old 01-29-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C240
I believe that is the breather cover (PCV cover) where the blue arrow is pointing. Each breather cover is bolted onto the valve cover with torx bolts. There is no gasket for these covers. You will have to unbolt and clean the old sealant off both surfaces and re-apply with a good a RTV Sealant to the cover and then re-install. Do not over-torque the bolts.
Good luck.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:06 PM

Thanks for your comment. Actually i have one of those MB part catalog, a software that i bought reasonably cheap from eBay. THe picture was taken from that catalog. Based on that catalog, it does not look like this piece is sold seperately (because there is no part number in the catalog).

SO i decided to go ahead open it and found the following part #
A1120160505
Then i went to local MB dealer to try to purchase the replacement gasket. Unfortunately, MB does not make the exact gasket for it but they sell one of those liquid gasket (MB brand) for $30. I decided to get one and give it a try and it has been working very well. I dont have the part number with me for this liquid gasket but if anybody needs one i can find it out. May be next time i get it online because i have the part number now.

In the past, when i replaced the main gasket for this valve cover, i used Honda bond liquid gasket to make sure there is no oil leak (in addition to putting a brand new gasket). It costs the same ($30) and i am very happy with the result. If you have a V6 engine like i do, i recommend to use additional liquid gasket when replacing the main gasket to guarantee there is no oil leak. In a V6 engine, oil can easily leak from the valve cover if you don't use additional liquid gasket because of the position of the cover.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 02-01-2015, 02:02 AM

W203 '05 C240 4matic
Yeah Honda sealant I believe is called HondaBond. Thats really good and strong stuff. The MB sealant is good too. All my MB stuff I order through ecstunning.

PCY, thanks for that write up! I'm going to change my valve cover gaskets soon, I would do it now but its too cold now. I'll do it in the spring.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:00 PM

c240 '04
Sorry to kinda go off topic, but do you have more diagrams or a list of tools needed to replace the Valve Cover Gasket? Mine just started leaking, likely from high mileage and old age and I need to replace it.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:21 PM

W203 '05 C240 4matic
Originally Posted by benga
Sorry to kinda go off topic, but do you have more diagrams or a list of tools needed to replace the Valve Cover Gasket? Mine just started leaking, likely from high mileage and old age and I need to replace it.
As far as diagrams, theres a few videos on how to change the gaskets on youtube. It's not that hard to do just a little time consuming. Tools, you need a basic socket & ratchet set, E-torx socket set and a torque wrench. I order my MB stuff through ecstunningDOTcom. Just select your car from the drop down menu and it will show you everything for your car. I bought a complete valve cover gasket kit with hoses and sealant. (havent installed it yet, i'll do it the spring) And while you're at it you might aswell change the plugs and wires too. Goodluck!