C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Anyone install a clear-type bra on a C themselves?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
Anyone install a clear-type bra on a C themselves?

I've been back-and-forth on getting Stongard but I will only afford it if I install it myself. I'd rather not get it all than spend 100% over the material cost to have it installed.

For the sake of arguement, let's say my abilities are top-notch but just lacking experience.

I've read that pro installers take 1 year to get "good" at installing it. I've also heard about the use of heat-guns and knives in order to get a good fit.

Any "real DIY" experiences would be helpful.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:26 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
I've done it on my C, the xpel front bumper kit ($199 from xpel, I think they charge less than stongard, for the same 3M product).

You don't need to use heat, at least not for the front bumper. Heat may be necessary if you were doing a really curved part. No part of the C bumper, hood, etc. need that.

Knives? Ummm, not needed.

1 year to get "good" at it? LOL. Maybe if you have a physical disability. Good grief. I suppose some installer told you that (trying to sell you his services).

That being said, it is not a particularly easy job. I have 20 years experience working on cars (engine drops, rebuilds, body work, painting, window tinting, etc.). I don't think there is anything automotive that I could not do, as long as I had the tools (and have done most things).

It took me around 3 hours to get it right. It is not as easy as the xpel site would have you believe. But, as long as you are using the right wetting solution, and are in a clean area, its hard to make an irreversible mistake. You don't press it firmly down until you are satisified, and you can peel and restick many times. It is a pretty forgiving material to work with.

On the other hand, it is a large piece of material. And it is sticky. It is basically putting a giant sticker on the car. You have to get a lot of edges lined up, and you have to make sure it lays down with no bubbles.

Overall, this is a job that I would not recommend for the "average" car owner (who doesn't even know how to open his hood). I probably would not recommend it for the average person on this forum, as most here seem to not have much experience working on cars. For them, I think paying $150 to get in installed is probably worth it.

But if you say your abilities are "top notch," then by all means, go for it. You don't need experience to get it done right. Its not the easiest thing in the world, but its not rocket science, either. I think a lot of people install these things at home and are very happy with the results. I know a lot of people on various BMW boards have done it (I think I posted some links here in the past).

The worst thing that can happen is you ruin the sheet of plastic and are out that money. You can't hurt the car by trying to install it.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Thanks for the help SoCal. I found that info about the heat guns and knives on some guy's personal website. He watched the pros install Autobahnd on his ML. It came up in my Yahoo search for Autobahnd. The heat suppsedly makes the edges stick better.

How many miles do you have on the Xpel product? How's it look now? Are the edges still ok?
Old 03-20-2002, 01:35 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
I have around 8500 miles on the xpel now. Still looks as good as the day it was new. The edges are fine. I just wax the bumper as normal (just make sure to wipe the edges really well so wax doesn't build up).

I suppose heating it a bit would make it dry faster, but it is not going to make it stick any better. In fact, heat tends to make it unstick, if you ever want to take it off, you are supposed to heat it up first.

A pro probably uses some heat because he wants to make it dry faster so the customer can come pick the car up quickly. Because you use liquid underneath it while you are getting it worked in place, it is sometimes a little cloudy in some spots, until all of the liquid evaporates. That takes a few days. Heating it probably helps to make it look better faster.

The stuff is incredibly sticky, and unless you severely damage it putting it on, it will never come unstuck.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:09 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
My Xpel installer doesn't charge extra to install it, same price as they sell it at their web site.