C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Smart Key Issue...Maybe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor
Smart Key Issue...Maybe?

I am not sure if anyone has experienced this and if so please help. I have a 2005 MB C230 Kompressor Sedan. I purchased this new in 05 and have not had one issue until now. About 1 year ago my door lock button on the key began to work sporadically. I went to MB and had the batteries replaced twice and it did not fix the issue. Eventually it just stopped working so I let it be. The only harm was my doors wouldn't lock by remote...essentially a non-issue. Now I am more concerned as the Key does not seem to be recognized when in the ignition and when it does it seems to only keep the car in position 1 ignition as nothing operates besides lights radio etc. However the real odd thing is it does start at times in this position and only in that position. Since it’s a 6 speed manual I am also able to drive it. The challenge is nothing electrical besides what works in position one seems to work. The odometer doesn't function the RPM’s, the turn signals, garage door opener, wipers, windows, etc. I even didn't have ESP control which was not fun in the snow today! I tried opening the driver’s door when I was driving (with my lights on) and it gave the indication to turn lights off not that the door was open. The car also doesn't lock as I drive past the 5 mph mark. It’s almost as if the car is sleep driving! I only have 1 key as in the last 10 years the other one has been lost. Before I buy a new key which may or may not be the issue I was hoping for advice. Any idea if this is the key or is it a much larger electrical issue? Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:06 PM

2003 c240
At one point or another, the infrared led on both my keys broke off from the keys board. This caused intermittent functionality because it would sometimes make good contact and other times it didn't.

Try looking at the end of your key with your digital camera and press one of the buttons on the key. If you don't see a red light, then your led may have also broke off. You can also do this with a tv remote just do you know it should look like.

Edit: i just reread the issues you're having and I'm doubtful it's the led. Sounds like youe problems are most likely not from the key.

Last edited by fookoo303; 02-04-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:06 PM

2005 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor
Thank you FooKoo303...

"At one point or another, the infrared led on both my keys broke off from the keys board. This caused intermittent functionality because it would sometimes make good contact and other times it didn't..."

I did exactly what you recommended and I had no inferred light. I ordered a new key from MB and it worked perfect. It not only locks the doors etc. but fixed every issue the car had. It is back to running as it always did...perfect! Thank you so much you advice was amazing!
Old 02-12-2015, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C240
About 6 months ago, one of my keys would not work properly with my 2002 C240. Once in a while I would have a bit of a problem starting the car and sometimes when it started, the power windows, turn signals, instrument panel would not function. The electric fan for the radiator would go on when the engine was cold, etc. When I tried the spare key everything in the car functioned normally. When I pulled the PC board out of the suspect key, there was a small piece that had broke off the circuit board. I guess maybe 12 years of use and dropping the key one too many times was time for a replacement key.
Ordered a new chrome key from the dealer and all is good.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:37 PM

2015 AMG E63S 212
Smart Key issues

Last week my wife and I parked our 2015 E63AMG wagon and left for lunch. When we returned in 45 minutes neither key would open the car. Both keys showed the red LED, and the batteries were new. I use the manual key to get in, which sent the car into paroxysms of panic. MBrace called me on my cell phone, thinking the car had been jacked. They advised me to go to my dealer, which was fairly close by. I called ahead and they were ready. They immediately checked the symptoms, determining that there was a software glitch with a repair advisory. They re-programmed the locking system, and I was out of there in an hour.

Yesterday it seemed to happen again, but when I tried it later, all was good. Got to watch it, though.