C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New Pilot Bushing hard to install + oil leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C230
New Pilot Bushing hard to install + oil leak

Hello

I've been chasing a no crank no start issue for several weeks and after several directions from fellow members I found the culprit. a leaking pilot bushing.

I went ahead and bought a pilot bushing and decided to replace it myself.
I removed the pilot bushing and clean the area (filled with oil) and let it dry for few hours then I reconnected the old bushing and the car started it immediately (no need to jump the starter relay) I was happy!

I started the car several times and it started right up. I drove it around the neighborhood and notice that the transmission was on a limp mode and would not go out of 1st gear.

I decided to take it to a local garage to look into it and reset the transmission control module. however before I went ahead with my plans, I decided to change the pilot bushing myself.

I bought the bushing from the local MBZ dealer ($20) and went ahead with swapping it. Everything was going well, removing the old was easy(which I found traces of oil in it and was having with problems with the no start issue again) I confirmed that the old bushing had the old white rubber seals. I cleaned the area again and tried to install the new bushing i pressed and pressed and pushed but it was not giving in; I could not seat the new bushing far enough to be able to catch the screw and screw it in. I found that the new black seals on the new part are harder than the old white ones and I decided to take a break.

After 2 weeks of break, I have gone back to keep on pressing and pushing to seat the bushing but to no avail. Therefore I decided to pull it out and try again. To my surprise a gush of oil came out and it was not stopping and at the end I lost abut 1.5 qrts of transmission oil coming out of where the bushing is. I'm still not able to seat the new bushing.

My questions is in regards of the new bushing seals (even thought the bushing has not been fully install) where they doing their job by not allowing oil inside the bushing and connectors? Has my conductor plate also has been jeopardize therefore a new conductor plate is need it?

Finally any cost on the labor to do this since I know I can get the conductor plate at PelicanParts for $187 (O.E.M)
Attached Thumbnails New Pilot Bushing hard to install + oil leak-imgdsply.gif  

Last edited by amcink; 03-09-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:50 AM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
Remove the 2 seals from the new pilot bushing and install them on the old pilot bushing and try to install.