C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Transmission Failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 328i
Transmission Failure?

Hey guys, new to the forum (and Mercedes for that matter). I recently talked my sister into buying an 03 240 with 130k on it. Clean inside and out, very nice. 2 weeks in and she calls me and says it won't shift out of first and left a pool of 'oil' in her garage. We had it towed to a mechanic and he says it needs a transmission. Really? I talked her into this Benz thinking it was indestructible and of all things it needs a new transmission? Mech is quoting her $4,000. She is a single mom going to school and this is her only transportation. I have been searching the board but I do not see anyone that needed a tranny replacement. Has anyone had to replace the tranny? The car is in great shape otherwise and she cannot reall afford the repair or a different car. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:19 AM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Ask that mechanic to show and explain to you where the leak is coming from. Search for "pilot bushing" threads on the forum - a common problem on these transmissions.
Likely it does not need a new transmission, but the repair can run $1-2k depending on what's wrong with it.

Is it a Benz mechanic? Suggest you get a second opinion from a good indy, and then find a cheaper labor place to do the stuff, etc.

Surprised you talked her into buying an old mercedes with (presumably) unknown maintenance history. There's a saying that goes like "there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes". But C240s engine is supposed to be bullet-proof, then the tranny will be good after it's fixed, so might not be that bad
Old 03-10-2015, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 328i
The mechanic came highly recommended from a co-worker, but he told her it needed a new tranny and I am not sure he ever even put it up on the lift. I recommended she have it towed to another mechanic with a better reputation.

I figured a used Benz would be better than the pontiac or ford garbage she was looking at in the same price range. The interior and exterior are in great shape. Hopefully we can get this sorted...