C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Attention KLEEMANN! Help me to understand why...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K C5, C7 Black
Question Attention KLEEMANN! Help me to understand why...

a supercharger pulley would retail for $900 plus install? Your profit margin must make you blush But seriously, I have some experience with supercharging Mustangs, ok not the tech level of a MB, but the same combustion physics apply. Does the C230 ECU REALLY have enogh self adjustment range to prevent detonation with your product? How much additional boost? What about the additional charge temp? What is max stock boost? Thanks
Old 03-26-2002, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Pulley

First of all there are two options: $599 ring type and $899 solid alloy type. My profit margin does not make me blush- its a fair price for what you are getting.

The pulley is not a small, single plane pulley like you would put on the SC itsself. The pulley is a new crank pulley- a dual plane 9.5" diameter x 6" deep solid alloy pulley. Steel sleeved oil seal land, laser etched timing marks, hard coated. Also included in the set is a larger alt pulley to keep it at the same speed as stock, new belt, and side markers and rear trunk badge (all MBZ quality). These systems are tested and tested and tested again. I have had this dscussion before- if you think you can make an equal quality pulley for less, go for it. What amuses me is that no one is asking the same questions of other tuners _ WHO CHARGE TWICE AS MUCH_!!!!

Yes the ECU will adjust on times on the fly to reach a lambda target. Even in open loop there is a window of adjustment +/- for A/F ratio. You can put one of these cars with the boost kit on a dyno and measure the A/F ratio in any circumstance- always spot on as stock.

Max stock boost is .5 bar (7.3 psi), we run it to .65bar (9.5 psi). Never any detonation as measured with MBZ Star Diagnose computer- discharge temps increase approximately 17% pre intercooler, post intercooler temps vary with road speed, ambient conditions, cycling etc. Suffice to say that the total increase in inlet temps is about 30 deg F nominal.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:19 AM

C230K C5, C7 Black
Thanks! That was a full tech quality reply with all the facts and right answers!!! I guess I'll have to drive to Atlanta!
Old 03-26-2002, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally posted by First Benz
Thanks! That was a full tech quality reply with all the facts and right answers!!! I guess I'll have to drive to Atlanta!
Thank you-

I hear its a nice drive to Atlanta!
Old 03-26-2002, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kleemann, are the colder range spark plugs no longer included in the kit? Does Kleemann have any plans to produce a more efficient intercooler for the coupe?
Old 03-26-2002, 01:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

More Tech-

The "NEW" 2.3 engines come with the same range plugs as we provided for the "OLD" systems. They are also a unique ground electrode pattern- not available in any colder range.

The intercooler is actually not that bad ( if you are moving ). The SC however is an arcane design (ROOTS). I have tossed around the idea of fitting a screw compressor on my car to explore that venue. Dont hold your breath for it becoming a product any time soon. The theoretical gains from switching to a screw (thermal and parasitac losses) are huge- 40hp at the stock boost levels.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank You, Kleemann. The conversion to a screw type kompressor sounds interesting. If the checking account permits, I will be contacting you about having the pulley kit installed in late June.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
doesn't the c32 use a helical screw type blower? the kompressors r different on c230 and c32?
Old 03-26-2002, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C230

The C230 (SLK, CLK etc) 4 cylinder has been around for over 4 years. The kompressor used on that engine is an EATON, not a screw. MBZ will not change this current engine, ultimately it will be phased out. If MBZ chooses to do any future 4 cyl kompressor cars they will most likely use the screw type kompressor.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:57 PM

C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
hm...

whats the difference between the 2 pullies?
$599 ring type and $899 solid alloy type?

What is the difference in the gains each one produces?
Old 03-26-2002, 04:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Re: hm...

Originally posted by Scylas

Not be rude but I have answered this question on several occasions- search the archives and you will come across the previous thread explaining this questions.

I will try to post the link in this thread-
Old 03-26-2002, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: hm...

Originally posted by Scylas

I believe the difference is $300. Ring type was his original design and that's what Kleemann claims to have on his C230. It's a metal ring that is attached to the existing pulley to make it bigger. The alloy pulley is one that the last time I've heard has not been released for sale yet. It's a total replacement of the pulley made out of a light weight alloy. The lighter weight pulley would help performance.

I'm going to check with my dealer about getting a crankshaft pulley and send that to ASP Racing as they requested so they can make me a steel one to that's exactly like the factory unit but has a larger diameter outer ring. By having something that's similar to stock in appearance it will not cause attention during a routine service. They typically sell crankshaft pullies and supercharger pullies in the $99 to $199 range. If anyone is interested let me know. The more that want it, the cheaper the price.

Last edited by Buellwinkle; 08-08-2002 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Angry Ok now the gloves are off-

This is hilarious- Are you suggesting that Im not being honest in what I post? "Now he claims it has a steel sleeve." Its ALWAYS had a steel sleeve- see attached picture. As for the sleeve coming loose- its a press fit on the alloy pulley and captive between the pulley and the crank- it has no where to go.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry Kleemann, I didn't know that when you said "The solid alloy pulley will be here soon." in a previous post that solid alloy means alloy except where where you used steel. I don't know how others feel but the conflicts between your posts are very disconcerting to me and don't inspire confidence from a manufacturer of high performance parts. At least the posts from Renncpe are very consistant. I'm sure that you put together a high quality product and just not sure what you are saying sometimes. You claim you are part of moderate size company with 35 employees doing high performance MB tuning yet you have to go somewhere else for your dyno tests. I just don't get it. Maybe if someone at Evosports had your pulley and had some dyno reports to look at it would clear up a lot of misconceptions. When I asked Evosports before they have never installed your pulley kits on a C230 coupe.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
Buellwinkle,
Why are you ragging on Kleemann? I don't dive into the details of every one of his posts, but he seems honest & knowledgeable to me. I think he is much more trustworthy than some others floating around here. Ease up a bit.

KWiK
Old 03-26-2002, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know why, may it's my NY cynicism, maybe it's the way he changes his story, maybe it's because he feels that nobody on this forum is capable doing what they do and if we try we will damage our cars. Heck, maybe he's right but I take it as a put down and a challange. When someone tells me I can't do something I feel I have to prove them wrong, it's just me!
Old 03-26-2002, 11:27 PM

c320
Thumbs down Blah Blah Blah

Or maybe you need to spend a little more time reading KLEEMANN posts.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:40 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
i have to admit i have been a bit too busy at work to really follow EVERY thread on pullies, and we talk about them a lot. I have to believe that companies like carlsson, renntech, brabus, and kleeman know what they are doing.

These people tune mercedes, thats about it. They have been positively reviewed in numerous independent magazines, and are highly respected in the automotive world. Their products command a premium dollar for 2 reason: 1. there is not a lotta MB tuning companies, 2. their stuff has to work reliably, and seemlessly integrate into a very complex, very well engineered car.

If you want to let some guy make a pully for you, go for it... save 600 bucks. I much prefer to buy a product i know was TESTED and DEVELOPED for my car/engine. But if something goes wrong with the pully upgrade from joe blow's pullies are they gonna know what went wrong??? they just made a pully for a car they really dont know anything about.

I prefer to work on my mercedes with companies that SPECIALIZE on mercedes. but thats just me.... and then again my car is bone stock with a carbon fiber plate frame as its only mod
Old 03-26-2002, 11:50 PM
gab

So Kleemann have you tested the alloy pulley yet? a lot of people here are waiting to see the dyno graph
Old 03-27-2002, 12:47 AM

KLEEMANN C230K
I have seen many threads here become so abrasive they lose sight of the original topic, as this is causing me to lose interest in the topic, and making me want to jump down buellwinkle's throat. I will instead try to redeem myself after ranting by saying:

I'm sure if you would like to make a pulley, KLEEMANN will not be upset, jealous, or lose any business. If you have ever had a conversation with him you know he is very helpful, knowledgable, and always truthful. He will point out any faults he see's, even in his own product (which isn't put to test all that often). He has MANY years experience in forced induction. If we sit down and speak (not banter and argue) with one another, we may realize "oops, I/you misunderstood what you/I said/asked/wrote".

My posting habits on this forum have dwindled because of this bull$h!t attitude, "I think you are wrong (because I don't understand you), but can't prove it, so I'll just bash you".

But what do I know, I'm an A$$HOLE

GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR .................. I SAID GOOD DAY!!!

John.

Last edited by dj-po; 03-27-2002 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

??

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I don't know why, may it's my NY cynicism, maybe it's the way he changes his story, maybe it's because he feels that nobody on this forum is capable doing what they do and if we try we will damage our cars. Heck, maybe he's right but I take it as a put down and a challange. When someone tells me I can't do something I feel I have to prove them wrong, it's just me!
Please elaborate as to how I have changed my story- ever, regarding anything I have posted here. I have never stated that anyone is incapable of doing what we do. -Simply that I know what is required to reach a certain end with regards to manufacturing parts.

Not sure what Im saying? I can assure you I am certain of what I am saying- always- I would suggest that the interpretation of the post is the problem. I have never meant to put any one down- I apologize if you have taken it this way.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Re: Pulley

Originally posted by KLEEMANN
What amuses me is that no one is asking the same questions of other tuners _ WHO CHARGE TWICE AS MUCH_!!!!
*Cough* Renntech *Cough*.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you cant hold a 1/2 thousand tolerance your out of balance force can be enough to shake the engine apart- are you willing to take this risk to save a few bucks? And what about the oil seal surface? An all alloy pulley would last about 2 days before the oil seal ate a groove deep enough in the crank to puke most of the oil out of the sump.
To me that says we are all morons and if you make your own pulley or have one made for you, you will not suceed and totally damage our engine. Sorry I don't see how a slight out of balance can shake your engine apart when an add on pulley ring must have fasteners of some kind that throws the balance off. I don't want to make my own pulley, I want an experienced pulley company make my pulley. And yes, in comparison to RennTech you're pullies are less expensive but at least you don't hear me saying that the Kleemann pulley must be crap because it doesn't cost as much as the RennTech.
My take on it is that RennTech doesn't want to sell pullies and therefore priced themselves out of the market on purpose. My price complaint from the very begining has been that Kleemann sells a set of underdrive pullies for BMWs for $399 yet charges MB customers $899 for the overdrive crankshaft pullies. I understand that the crankshaft pulley is more complex because it drives 2 belts but I don't understand why it's $500 more complex. I think more people would do it if the prices were more inline with other pulley kits, even your own.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Keine Teile für BMW

Originally posted by Buellwinkle

My price complaint from the very begining has been that Kleemann sells a set of underdrive pullies for BMWs for $399 yet charges MB customers $899 for the overdrive crankshaft pullies. I understand that the crankshaft pulley is more complex because it drives 2 belts but I don't understand why it's $500 more complex. I think more people would do it if the prices were more inline with other pulley kits, even your own.
KLEEMANN doesnt make ANY BMW parts- where do you get the idea that we do?
Old 03-27-2002, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Buellwinkel, Kleemann does not make parts for BMW. The BMW pulleys you are referring to are sold by Evosport, which is also a Kleemann dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Attention KLEEMANN! Help me to understand why...