C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Strange Left Rear Turn Signal Issue - Errors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2016 | 08:23 PM

2004 C240 Wagon Non-4-matic
Strange Left Rear Turn Signal Issue - Errors

Finally got around to replacing the combo switch. That took car of the erratic wiper problem and not staying clicked when at a right turn.

Regarding the bulbs, I did change them all with brand new ones, but still get the same errors: namely, a warning for LR bulb out for the Left Turn Signal, and then, when the car is put in reverse, a warning for LR backup lamp out.

Things I tried:
Swapping all the bulbs on both sides with new ones. No Go.
Swapping the Right side receptacle for the left side receptacle. Same errors.

I'm starting to get used to the idea of the rear SAM. Is there a way to clear the errors out?

The Battery has been replaced, bulbs replaced, but still problems with the left hand rear turn lights.
I was also advised that the third brake light is out, so that's on the list.
I'm wondering if it's related to the left hand turn signal light errors that I am having.

I removed the emergency tool kit holder, and partially dropped out the Rear SAM to take a look at it.
I tried following down the harness from the left taillight assembly to the rear SAM unit, and found where it plugs in.I also plugged and unplugged to make sure things were OK.
Now here's the strange part : After I poked around the harness and I went to try the combination switch to turn left, it flashed regularly for about ten seconds --- then back to rapid flashing, and no taillight again.

Is it possible that the short is in the wiring from the combination switch underneath the driver side dashboard?

Is there a usual suspect place where the harness cracks, such as the tailgate?
Old 01-03-2016 | 05:33 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

1999 E300TD
have you checked the sockets for faults(lack of voltage)
Old 01-04-2016 | 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
This might sound dumb, but did you check the bulb socket (the holes where the bulbs go into) connectors for debris and/or grease? Someone at the dealer accidentally (or intentionally?) smeared some on during a service visit and it gave me weird "bulb out" errors for years, until I noticed it and wiped it down.

On a side note, are you able to take your signal stalk apart to see what is making the R turn not stick? I have the same problem, but am wondering if the problem can be solved with a bit of epoxy (filling a worn part?) instead of fully replacing it. It's obviously a mechanical and not an electrical issue.

Last edited by slammer111; 01-04-2016 at 02:27 PM.