C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Pending mods, Ecu, exhaust, sway bars, please comment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Pending mods, Ecu, exhaust, sway bars, please comment

I'm a proud owner of a 2005 c230 1.8L sport sedan. My former car was a Lexus, which was reliable and looked nice, but performance and handling was miserable. I'm in love with how my c230 handles and accelerates off the line.

I have done several mods, all which I have been very pleased:

1. K&N air filter
2. Sprint booster
3. Aux in iPod adapter

I'm planning to do several other more intensive mods:

1. Eurocharged Ecu tune
2. Magnaflow front cat and header direct bolt on
3. Magnaflow rear cat direct bolt on
4. H&R front and rear adjustable sway bars

I'm DIY and everything appears straightforward since headers and sway bars are accessible. Are there any tips, warnings, or suggestions you all have? Planning to get started in Spring, because I have to do a couple maintenance items such as valve cover gasket and tube seals.

Please let me know your thoughts!!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
All mods look like smart ones to me. The sways are the ones that you'll really see the most increase in fun from. You should make sure your endlinks, bushings, and alignment are all ok once all's said and done. If you're on stock suspension, upgrading it at the same time (maybe Koni yellows and Eibach springs) would make even more sense.

Honestly, though, don't expect too much in HP gains - either at the real or butt dyno. But at least it'll be a little extra giddy up.

What wheels do you have? Stock wheels are piggies.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Thanks for the response!

Yes I have the "piggy" wheels.
Assume you call them this due the weight?

I also have a set of 18" AMG wheels I plan to retrofit with spacers.
Just plastic dipped black and they look fantastic.
Probably not going to buy lighter wheels due to the cost, maybe later though.

Any thoughts on the magnaflow cats?
These are direct fit and look nice but I cannot find reviews from forum members.
I'm hoping for better sound with at least a slight increase in performance..

Will report back when I have ecu reflashed too.

Probably going to start over with a "build thread" (complete with pics) and specify a different username. My username LexBrett was from my former car and I think a new username is appropriate.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-19-2016, 12:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Yes, I had a Magnaflow cat on my 2002 C230 when I had one, and it worked out fine. Did notice a small tick up on the butt dyno. It was on my car for years (a previous one from a prior design didn't have as much success).

I wouldn't worry about their cats; very good reviews all around. I've actually got one on the car that replaced the Benz, and it's doing fine also.

Yep, all Benz rims are really heavy. If you don't have the money, don't worry, but those AMGs are probably going to be even heavier than your stock ones.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Lighter wheels

Originally Posted by tommy
Yes, I had a Magnaflow cat on my 2002 C230 when I had one, and it worked out fine. Did notice a small tick up on the butt dyno. It was on my car for years (a previous one from a prior design didn't have as much success).

I wouldn't worry about their cats; very good reviews all around. I've actually got one on the car that replaced the Benz, and it's doing fine also.

Yep, all Benz rims are really heavy. If you don't have the money, don't worry, but those AMGs are probably going to be even heavier than your stock ones.
Sounds like I would get more bang for the buck out of the lighter wheels instead of exhaust??
Old 01-19-2016, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Lighter wheels

Sounds like I would get more bang for the buck out of the lighter wheels instead of exhaust??
Old 01-19-2016, 04:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Probably, yes. If you do it right, you'll save several pounds, get wider rims, and make the car look better too. That's a win-win-win. A new exhaust will be louder with not much of an appreciable gain.

If you're going to do that, might want to consider a stud conversion too, so that you don't have to worry about lugbolt sizes and annoyances with those damn things. Only real drawback is that you then have to think about acorn lugnuts if you want to ever put stock rims back on (for dedicated snow rims/tires, for example).

It all depends on what you're going for - what are your goals, etc.? I agree with you - a build thread would be a good thing for you start up here.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Probably, yes. If you do it right, you'll save several pounds, get wider rims, and make the car look better too. That's a win-win-win. A new exhaust will be louder with not much of an appreciable gain.

If you're going to do that, might want to consider a stud conversion too, so that you don't have to worry about lugbolt sizes and annoyances with those damn things. Only real drawback is that you then have to think about acorn lugnuts if you want to ever put stock rims back on (for dedicated snow rims/tires, for example).

It all depends on what you're going for - what are your goals, etc.? I agree with you - a build thread would be a good thing for you start up here.
Hi Tommy,
Thanks for your useful comments. Coming from a boring by Japanese car, I'm really excited about mods. But I don't want to go overboard, even though it may be inevitable. My last car I modded in every way possible, then got in accident and lost everything. But that's another story.

I will start a new build thread ...
Old 01-19-2016, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550

Hi Tommy,
Thanks for your useful comments. Coming from a boring by Japanese car, I'm really excited about mods. But I don't want to go overboard, even though it may be inevitable. My last car I modded in every way possible, then got in accident and lost everything. But that's another story.

I will start a new build thread ...
Old 01-20-2016, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
I've installed Kleemann header with high flow cat, Kleemann boost kit, and ECU programming performed by Kleemann and have been very happy with the results. It all comes with a price though ( a lot more than for a Japanese car)
Old 01-20-2016, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C230 kompressor
Which sway bars are you going to be using? I have been throwing the idea of getting some sway bars and a tune when the tax man gives me my damn money back
Old 01-21-2016, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 03C230
Which sway bars are you going to be using? I have been throwing the idea of getting some sway bars and a tune when the tax man gives me my damn money back
The sway bars for the C55 are a direct fit and are 1 mm bigger diameter if I am not mistaken. The H&R sway bars are good too, although I had issues from squeaking from the center bushings when I had them on my C230
Old 01-21-2016, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
H&R have direct fit sway bars in 26mm front and 19mm rear. They also come on 10mm and 12mm end link holes. It's my understanding that 12mm are for cars with sport suspension, but not completely sure. Will either physically measure the end link holes or just buy 12mm and retrofit metal sleeve if necessary.

I'm so glad I see excitement to mod in this forum! Was getting worried that MB owners were not into this. I know this is an older platform, but believe me coming from a sloppy Japanese set up (suspension, drive by wire lag, etc), this is really a fun car!

Just got eurocharged tuner in the mail yesterday and will report back on how it goes. Also planning to start a much maintenance, repair, and build thread so all my finding and pics are in one place. If I get some time I will start it today!!
Old 01-24-2016, 03:43 AM

2003 C230 kompressor
I want to get the H&R ones but don't know what size to get for end links and the actual away bar itself
Old 01-24-2016, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by capt_paul
I've installed Kleemann header with high flow cat, Kleemann boost kit, and ECU programming performed by Kleemann and have been very happy with the results. It all comes with a price though ( a lot more than for a Japanese car)
Are kleeman products available for the 1.8l sport sedan c230 w203 2005? Have searched endlessly to no avail :-(
Old 01-24-2016, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Are kleeman products available for the 1.8l sport sedan c230 w203 2005? Have searched endlessly to no avail :-(
Yes. Contact them thru Kleemann USA in Colorado Springs, CO

Talk to Cory
Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550

Talk to Cory
Thank you sir! Really been frustrated because can't find any kleenan for my 1.8L
Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
I want to get the H&R ones but don't know what size to get for end links and the actual away bar itself
H&R come in 26mm front and 19mm rear. There are two sized end link holes, 10mm and 12mm. Rumor has it that c230 sport sedans have 12mm end link holes, but it's not cinfirmed. Won't get to this project until spring, but when I do I'm going physical measure my end link holes by removing the bar and I will report my findings.

A bigger question comes down to the brackets. Do larger brackets need to be purchased for bushings? Can't find definitive question anywhere..
Old 01-29-2016, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550

Talk to Cory
Hey buddy, how do you like your kleeman headers? How do they feel with butt dyno and how is the sound? Did you get a check engine light? If I do this I plan to run post car o2 sensor spacer to avoid CEL. Thoughts??
Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Eurocharged Ecu tune complete

Hi All- just completed my Ecu tune from eurocharged. They gave me a good deal and customer service exceptional. Here is a mini tutorial:

1. Install my genious software on laptop. Just follow instruction it's easy.

2. Go to car and plug in my genious, and upload cars ecu file. Go to laptop and plug in my genioud to computer, extract file and email to eurocharged.

3. Eurocharged will email you the file, upload from computer to my genious and now go to your car and plug into obd2. At this point, I tried to take pic of every single screen upon install if I had problem. Here is the ecu upload:

Initial screen

Tell to write ecu

File eurocharged sent on mygenious devise

Dashboard is position 2, the one position before starting car

Old 06-12-2016, 04:11 PM

2003 C230 kompressor
Well how do you like the ECU? Was this the 449 package on the eurocharged website?

I am gonna purchase a tune soon and either buy some Kleemann headers or the magnaflow ones. I'm undecided.

What type of deal did Eurocharged cut you?
Old 06-12-2016, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Well how do you like the ECU? Was this the 449 package on the eurocharged website?

I am gonna purchase a tune soon and either buy some Kleemann headers or the magnaflow ones. I'm undecided.

What type of deal did Eurocharged cut you?
My tube with mygenious was around $500. Customer support is excellent.

At first I didn't notice a big gain, but then my buddy got in the car and said it was a night and day difference. It was definitely worth the money.

My Kleeman headers have been a big dissappoint. The clamps leak at two places and the nuts back out producing a check engine for a lean code. The leaks occur at where the header meets the cat and another clamp after the cat. It's been aweful trying to seal the leaks. Had one area welded and the other used a locking nut with profuse amounts of permatex. Customer support has been great, but there is no disputes that these leak.

Then there is the noise. My car sounds like a kazoo at certain Rmps. Thinking it was the muffler, I changed that out but the terrible sound remains.

Got the car on my left the other night and checked it out with a friend. The new high airflow is going against the baffle in the muffler. I can feel the air produce the sound, although it sounds metallic.

Try magnaflow, Kleeman have been aweful for me..
Old 06-12-2016, 09:12 PM

2003 C230 kompressor
Thanks for the excellent feedback! I am about to order my Eurocharged tune! I'm looking around at different headers to see which is best, sorry to hear Kleemann isn't working for you!
Old 06-12-2016, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Thanks for the excellent feedback! I am about to order my Eurocharged tune! I'm looking around at different headers to see which is best, sorry to hear Kleemann isn't working for you!
Glad I could help. Please do let me know how you like your tune and headers!!