C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

my new c230's being built this week...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 BMW 318i, '86 Porsche 911 Carrera coupe
my new c230's being built this week...

Hi to the forum,

This is my first post...I've enjoyed reading the discussions here over the past few weeks.

Well, the saleman called yesterday and told me the C230 I ordered late Feb. should be released from production next week. So another month or so's wait and I expect I should have it.

Which gives me an entire month to read this board and hope that my car is problem free. Some of the discussions here can really give pause to a new owner, but I suppose this is typical of any model's discussion board. I've never owned a problem free car but I've enjoyed every car I've owned (well, maybe not the old Dodge 600...).

It was a hard choice between Orion Blue and Black but I finally chose the blue. I've since seen one in Desert Silver and thought that was a great colour, as well. Didn't see any colours I didn't like, actually.

I didn't go with the evo package as I preferred the look of the regular 16" wheels.

My order was in before I discovered this forum and the often made assertion that the evo package also has a different shifter. I asked the salesman about this and he felt the shifter would be the same as the leather covered one that comes with the leather package. Either way, the die is cast, hope the non-evo shifter is OK (actually, I hope there's no difference - it's a bit of a drag to hear about undocumented features in an option after the car's been ordered without the option).

This probably belongs on another thread, but I did notice during my test drive that the shift from 2nd to first balked. When this happened I asked the rep if there was some sort of lock-out on first and he said no. This only occurred once so I chalked it up to a bad shift on my part. I guess I'll wait and see how the car behaves when it arrives, but, to me, a car with full synchro's should not require a full stop or double clutching to enter a gear.

Anyways, I'm drifting off topic, so I'll sign off - looking forward to enjoying the discussions on this board and I'll let you know how the car is once it arrives.....the wait gets to you, doesn't it (tic-toc-tic-toc-tic-toc...)
Old 03-29-2002, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
welcome to the forum!

there are a couple of things that the evo/c7 package has that are undocumented but since you don't want to know, i won't elaborate.

Last edited by young; 03-29-2002 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:46 PM

Thanks young

When I ordered the car I was under the impression that the evo package was, with the exception of the 17" wheels, purely cosmetic. If there are other undocumented differences, I wouldn't mind knowing what they are.

I have heard that there may be a different adjustment to the suspension and that it may be lower (or is this just a function of the 17" tire aspect ratio with the plus one rims?). Alignment differences wouldn't surprise me if it's tuned for wider tires. In my case, I live in Canada and intend to drive the car year round, so lower suspension can be a bit of a liability in winter.

The difference between the evo and standard steering wheels isn't an issue for me, either. I was looking at the C320 last year and couldn't stand the cone shaped back which reaches almost to the outer rim of the steering wheel. So I looked at other Mercedes models and it seems to be just the way they make their steering wheels. From what I've seen, both the evo and non-evo steering wheels on the C230 appear a little better in that respect.

I have wondered if the speed limiter is set lower for the non-evo package as I've always thought the purpose of the speed limiter was to allow the manufacturer to ship the car with lower speed rated tires. So the higher rating of the evo tires could allow them to disable the limit. (Know any way to disable it if it is set? )

But I'm really only concerned about the shifter, as so many posters feel the evo/C7 shifter is smoother. I probably would have got the evo package and worked a trade on the wheels had I known that before placing the order. I did email an enquiry about the shifter to Mercedes Canada and their response was to ask about this at "a dealer near you". Wasn't too impressed with that reply as I got the email address from a contact link on their web site for inquiries about technical information. So I sent them another email asking why bother including such a link on their site if they are unwilling to respond. Never got a reply on that one...

Anyway, my current daily driver is getting a little long in the tooth so it's time to replace it, I'll be happy if the C230 is as good as it's been.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congrats on the car. The other undocumented change of tne C7/Evo cars is the deletion of the exhaust resonator, resulting in a slightly different and louder exhaust note.

The speed limiter is the same for cars with C7/Evo as the other cars. It can be removed at the cost of hundreds of US$ by purchasing a chip with Vmax removed.

All coupes have the same suspension, which is very similar the the Sport package suspension on the sedans.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
here's the complete breakdown i posted a while ago...

C7 package:
wheels/ Z rated tires (preferably michelin pilot sports)
color coordinated handles
leather shifter
different steering wheel w/ thumb rests
aluminum pedals w/ rubber nibs
larger (barely) exhaust tip
patterned aluminum door sills

undocumented features:
no resonator between cat and muffler (thanks to renncpe who found this out)
manual has shorter shifting

Evolution (available outside US ) package also has:
Floor mats w/ "Evolution" logo - has dead pedal flap.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:19 AM
Bud

99 ml320, 2002 C230K
I've got the regular shifter (non-evo, non-c7).

The shift from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 1st is notchy/balky at first, but it does lossen by 1,500 miles or so. You absolutely can't go from 2nd to 1st unless fully stopped.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:50 PM

Thanks Bud.

A few posters have mentioned that they are not able to do a 2-1 shift unless the car is fully stopped.

Has anyone brought their car in to have the transmission checked because of this? I can't help but wonder if it may be due to a faulty syncro on first. Are there any owners who are able to do a 2-1 shift while their car is moving, without double clutching?

Last edited by x-bmw; 03-30-2002 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:20 PM

2002 C230k
I'm a little surprised that people are concerned about not being able to jam the car into first before they stop. In all seriousness; is this something most cars do well? I ask because I was taught at a young age that if you're still moving you probably don't need to be in first anyway... in any case it seems typical of the cars I've owned and has never presented a problem for me. (But then, one of my cars doesn't even have a synchro on first gear so maybe my point of reference is warped )

Are the people that find this to be a problem making any attempt to match the engine revs with the vehicle speed for that gear? Just wondering.

I guess I'll have to wait until I get my car to know what people are complaining about.
Old 03-30-2002, 08:09 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
No probs w/ manual trans

Hi guys and gals,
I am mystified by all this talk (in earlier thread re: changing manual transmission for auto) about the c230k manny. I've been driving manuals for about 35 years...that's back when automatics were the rarity, pre-synchromesh and then post-synchromesh gears. I love the c coupe and its transmission. Yes, my car will shift into first just fine from second at slow speed (e.g., approaching a stop sign). I don't crash the gears. I let them mesh and shift easily from 2nd to 1st. I agree with you, Spyke, I don't know why one would want to shift to 1st except when you are going to proceed from a full stop, so I really don't see the problem.

The c coupe does drive very differently from any car I have driven. And it did take some adjustment on my part as I got used to the differences from my old car. Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not. It's great! It just shows how boring my reliable old Honda was. And so far my c230k is just as reliable and a lot more fun!

My advice...test drive as many times as you can and buy what
suits you.

BTW, welcome to the forum, x-bmw. The wait will soon be over. I, too, preferred the look of the stock wheels, so my car is non-c7. I can't speak to any differences in the c7 shifters, but I have no problems with mine.
Deb

Last edited by Deb; 03-31-2002 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2002, 04:18 AM

c230 coupe
Smile i'm new to

hey x-bmw...i just ordered my c230 two weeks ago and i'm very new to this forum to (congrats on your purchase btw). my ride isn't coming till june oh well, it helps to be patient when i can come in here and see other c230 owners....well nice to meet you