C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Key Dependent Memory Feature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 06:29 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Thumbs up Key Dependent Memory Feature

This is what I have learned was the problem with me losing the KEY DEPENDENT MEMORY FEATURE. I now have the right numbered keys. I hope this helps anyone out there that has had thier keys (remotes) replaced and lost this feature. Please feel free to print this out and go to your favorite dealer.

Dealer Technical Bulletin 49/01
49/01 – Recalls and service campaigns: When repairing any vehicle, Always check the vehicle Master Inquiry for open campaigns.
49/01-2 Group 80 – models 203,215,and 220, KEY DEPENDENT MEMORY FEATURE: This is to clarify the operation of the key-dependent memory feature. This feature allows memory settings for seat position, steering column adjustment and A/C settings (203 only) to be dependent upon which key is used to unlock or start the vehicle. If enabled by the customer, via the Instrument Cluster (A1) settings used. There are a total of three (3) memory blocks available: one for key #1, one for key #2, and one shared by keys #3 through #8.
When ordering replacement keys for any reason, it is important to note that the only these three memory blocks are available, and the key number ordered will affect the memory blocks available. For example, if key #1 is replaced with key #4, then the first memory block (assigned to key #1) is no longer accessible. Specifically, key #2 will use the second memory block, and Keys #3 and #4 will share the third memory block. The loss of a memory block may lead to customer complaints. Therefore, if the customer wishes to retain the key dependent feature, replace keys #1 & #2 with the same numbered key.