C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Car engine sound like a card in a spoke of a bike.. Like we had when we were kids!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 03:39 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black on Black C Coupe 230 ,6sp, C5-C7-Illum Sills, Cd
Car engine sound like a card in a spoke of a bike.. Like we had when we were kids!!!

My car sounds like a VW Bug a bit too. Will the car break out of this click sound? Is this normal. I read one post and he said his engine sounded like a lawn mower. Well this is when I star it up. But but not on freeway. Moven too fast to hear it. But it is distinct. Is this normal MB sound. Wish you could hear it. Yvette....
Old 04-02-2002, 04:07 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Several C-owners (me included) have complained over a tickning sound from the engine-compartment. A known bug is an errouneous fuel vapour purge valve (or a faulty mounting bracket for this valve). This ticking noice is independent from the engine revs, and mine does not tick all the time. When it starts ticking, it ticks really loud though, making the engine sound like a diesel. This should be a known problem, but if your dealer tell you something like: -They all do that (just like my dealer did), there is a service-bulletin (to wich I don't remember the URL) to show them.

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2002, 07:52 AM

I can hear the air going through the supercharger when I first start up the car. However, after a minute or so, the warmed up engine barely does that. Also, above 25 mph or so, I never hear it at all.

Have not heard any "clicks" at all.

My next door neighbor is a race engineer/mechanic for a CART team and laughed when I said people complain about the engine sound. He said the sound is entirely consistent with the way a supercharged engine should sound.

Aaahhhh, to complain about the little things . . .

CP
Old 04-02-2002, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i had the ticking noise as well and the dealer replaced the purge valve.. that did quiten it down a bit but there are still instances when sometimes the engine sounds pretty $#itty but it goes away after a while... most of the time is just at startup...not really anything you can do about it ....