C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C320 - Gone!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C320 4matic sedan
C320 - Gone!

After 2 years of struggling with my C320 4matic, I have traded it off... and good riddance! The engine made a persistent ticking sound that neither I or anyone else could fix, or even adequately diagnose. It was getting worse, and I became concerned a rod would eventually poke out the side of the block. Also, the transmission computer would occasionally mal-adjust its adaptations causing the tranny to shift hard at the wrong points. A reset would make it work properly for a few weeks to months. There were also many other minor problems such as sloppy suspension parts, vibrations at speed, clunk noise in the steering, and a door that could not be opened from the inside.

The MB was the worst car purchase I have ever made. I paid $7,000 for it two years ago, plus $3,000 in parts, along with countless DIY hours. I got $2500 trade-in. So it cost me $7500 for 2 years of use, or $3500/year. That's way too much for a small used car. This will be my last MB.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
All brands make bad cars. I personally would not by a c class that wasent an AMG. I would however buy a e350.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:25 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by dmac5356
After 2 years of struggling with my C320 4matic, I have traded it off... and good riddance! The engine made a persistent ticking sound that neither I or anyone else could fix, or even adequately diagnose.

The MB was the worst car purchase I have ever made. I paid $7,000 for it two years ago, plus $3,000 in parts, along with countless DIY hours.
Hmm, I don't see ~$1,000+ in MB Dealer extensive diagnostic tests/costs.

So, in other words, someone sold you a POS car - likely because it had problems.
You bought the car. And, yes got screwed.
You did not bring it to MB and let them properly or thoroughly diagnose the problems.

I am sorry that you got screwed by the seller of the car! :-P
Imho, that's the risk in buying a used car. That's why people also pay for "used car buying consultants" or Dealers to look at a used car before they buy a used car.

My point is, when you buy a used car, make sure it fits your needs/desires. If that means taking it to a dealer, having one of those used car checking mechanics take a look at the car, then do it. Otherwise, yes, there are people that sell POS cars to other people, and screw the buyer.

Last edited by RedGray; 11-10-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240 2002
I'm also in the process of switching cars. I'm going to get a civic due to the inexpensive parts costs. I love Mercedes and their engineering. I love their comfort design but I was also sold a lemon of a vehicle. I don't blame mercedes , its the previous owner, they did not take care of this car and due to their neglect I'm having to constantly repair the vehicle. Also im upset about the rust on these early models but again I blame the previous owner for doing a shady repair to make it look good which only lasted a few months.. I bought it knowing that the parts would be expensive but I can do the repIrs myself so its not that big of a deal. I would keep it if the rust wasn't killing my car and the battery drain could be located but im almost certain its the front Sam. And its not worth the money to replace.

All in all, its not Mercedes fault so don't hate them. They are innovators of this industry and without them , half of the stuff in your next car wouldn't even be there.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 201 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
The perils of buying a used car, MB or not. But obviously way more riskier with a European car that has more technology. Sorry to hear of all the bad luck. Looks like you purchased a lemon example. Many people in the W203 (and other chassis) forums don't have any major problems.

This is one of the reasons why I am still pouring (a "reasonable") amount of money annually into my car, which was purchased new. With all the small problems popping up over the years, knowing 100% of the service history of my car is priceless. Because of the price of parts and labour, many owners simply try to cheap their way out of the proper fixes. That's probably what the guy who sold you the car most likely did.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Originally Posted by RedGray
Hmm, I don't see ~$1,000+ in MB Dealer extensive diagnostic tests/costs.

So, in other words, someone sold you a POS car - likely because it had problems.
You bought the car. And, yes got screwed.
You did not bring it to MB and let them properly or thoroughly diagnose the problems.

I am sorry that you got screwed by the seller of the car! :-P
Imho, that's the risk in buying a used car. That's why people also pay for "used car buying consultants" or Dealers to look at a used car before they buy a used car.

My point is, when you buy a used car, make sure it fits your needs/desires. If that means taking it to a dealer, having one of those used car checking mechanics take a look at the car, then do it. Otherwise, yes, there are people that sell POS cars to other people, and screw the buyer.

I've noticed you're condescending in a very high percentage of your posts imho fwiw.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
It seems like there was a misunderstanding on both ends. Imho, it's very easy to misconstrue a word, a sentence, a phrase., and so on.

I don't get paid for my posts. And, I often do lengthy replies.
Neither I, nor anyone else, has time to do a 100 page dissertation for a reply, to make sure that there aren't any misunderstandings about any part of the reply.

I think that we all need to peace out and chill out. :-)

Last edited by RedGray; 11-14-2016 at 08:43 PM.