C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Mid-Atlantic COMAND Group Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K Coupe
Lightbulb Mid-Atlantic COMAND Group Install

(FYI:I have also posted this message in the Audio and Electronics forum...I have read the Forum usage guidelines and did not see anything discouraging cross-posting so I hope this doesn't **** anyone off)

Hello,

I am new to MBWorld but have been scouring the boards for information on getting the factory COMAND system installed in my 2002 C-Coupe.

From what I have gleaned, Steve Krabbenborg from the Netherlands is *the* man to know for all that is COMAND. For those of you not familiar with Steve he sells COMAND units for $1,500 USD installed. See http://www.mbenznl.com/mods/comand.shtml for more info. He has in the past also travelled to ths US to perform the installations when he had enough purchases to cover his travel costs.

So I have emailed Steve and we have had a pleasant email exchange over the past few days. He strikes me a thoroughly knowledgeable, honest, and an overal nice guy. (Someone with whom you feel you can trust to rip apart the interior of your baby!) I am ready to purchase a COMAND system from him but unfortunately, he is no longer interested in travelling to the US to do installs anymore.

His last few trips to the east coast were apparently more hassle than they were worth.

From Steve:

I was in the NY/NJ area 3 times last year but as I hardly got places offered to stay and work from and as I have been working in the rain for several days during my last trip and had to pay up to 250USD for a single hotelnight - the NY area does not attract me at all anylonger - too much hassle...getting lost in NY with 7 nav units in my trunk was very stressfull...
So, here is what I'd like to propose:

I would like to bribe Steve into coming back to the east coast by making his trip as easy and as profitable for him as possible. Here's how:

1) I live in Baltimore, MD. I am married with a nice house and no kids. So I can offer Steve to stay at my house for as long as he wants his east coast trip to last. We have a large driveway and, if the weather turns foul, a dry, well lit garage for doing the installs.

2) I live close to the BWI & Dulles airports. I can offer to pick Steve up at the airport and take him directly to the house.

3) Anyone else interested in getting the COMAND installation agrees to meet up at my house in Baltimore. Baltimore is about 4 hours from NY 2 hours from Philadelphia, 1 hours from Delaware, and about 2 hours from Virgina. Not too bad. This way Steve doesn't have to travel anywhere else, doesn't have to rent a car, get lost, rent a hotel, etc.

4) I love to cook so I would provide food for everyone. It would be like one big weekend and/or week long MB party.

So, I'd like to just get a feel of how many east-coasters out there would be interested in such an idea. I think if we can get at least 5 people it would be enough to entice the COMAND Master our of US Retirement. If he still needs coaxing, perhaps, with enough people, we could each chip-in an additional $50 - $100 and offset some of his airfare.

So are you interested? Let me know.

Thanks!

Christian Lallo
Old 04-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
hehe - people never fail to surprise me...thanks for the thread christian.

It is not that I don't travel to the US anymore - I will be in california within 1.5 weeks again - it is just the eastcoast hassle as described which made me less willing to go there - offers like yours will make deciding to go there again a lot easier...if it wasn't for the friendly generous MB drivers who hosted my stays and installs in the past (all over the US and even in New Zealand and Australia) - I wouldn't have been able to offer the service I am offering at all...
If I would have to get myself a rental car and m/hotelnights every single time I come over to the US - these costs would have to be added to the comand install costs which makes it less interesting to go for.

Currently I am thinking about coming to the eastcoast in June again if there is enough comand related work for me to do and if people are willing to help me out with a place to stay every here and there...

thanks again & greetingz,
Old 04-05-2004, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

Excellent thread!

Steve,
Do you think COMAND or some other version of it can be installed in the R170 SLK? If so, I'll be willing to drive down and see Steve when he is down.

Edit: Maybe he can install the Vario roof mod once I order it too.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:23 AM

2002 C230K Coupe
Thanks for the compliment on the thread...but just to let you know, the real action is happening in the Electronics forum where I cross posted this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=65205

Cheers,
Christian
Old 04-06-2004, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Excellent thread, thank you for offering your hospitality to Steve. I have contacted him on a separate installation, and look forward to his return to the east coast.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by Silver_Lana
Do you think COMAND or some other version of it can be installed in the R170 SLK?
nope - I won't be held responsable for ruining either a 170 SLK or 129 SL by installing comand in it...

greetingz,