C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Please help! Code c1170 (steering angle) and ESP light on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Please help! Code c1170 (steering angle) and ESP light on

Dear Friends,
I would really appreciate your help!

The other day I had an alignment done, and the stupid mechanic did it incorrectly and the steering angle was messed up, pulling hard to the right.

My ESP message also came on the dash indicating "ESP malfunction, visit workshop". I used my MBCarsoft II, which indicated a code c1170 for a bad steering angle.

I went back to my mechanic to redo the alignment, and the car now goes straight as an arrow. My assumption was that the c1170 would go away, but I tried to clear the code but it remains.

After lots of research, the c1170 could be from a variety of reasons.

First, I do have an erratic idle at cold start up with voltage fluctuation. Could the voltage fluctuation shorted the steering angle sensor N49?

If so, any suggestion on how to fix? I also read that wiper fluid could leak on ESP and cause a short?

I do also occasionally have code indicated an open short for windshield wiper fluid and coolant level sensors, but the the code goes away.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
From what I have read, a c1170 indicates that the steering angle is not zero when going straight. However after the alignment was redone, the car feels straight. I suppose I could hook up my MB Carsoft II and read the steering angle? Not sure how I would know if wheels were straight without the alignment machine though?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
BUMP
Old 04-19-2017, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Not sure if anyone is out there listening, but I wanted to give an update anyways.

Two days after my car was correctly aligned the ESP light went OFF.

Lesson be learned- if your ESP light goes on after an alignment, its probably because you got a bad alignment.

Stupid lying mechanics.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 ML430, '03 C320 Coupe MT, '14 GL450
Just saw this now, but the reset procedure for ESP is to turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock with the car running. Not sure that might have fixed your issue, but glad it is sorted out for you. This is necessary if you replace the battery and the warning is given. My research has also shown that there are fragile wheel speed sensors that are easily damaged when doing alignments.

We had to replace our steering angle sensor last year when the car starting showing malfunctions like there was no tomorrow. It even showed coolant error! All was traced to a bad steering angle sensor, and after replacing that, all was well.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by kokketiel
Just saw this now, but the reset procedure for ESP is to turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock with the car running. Not sure that might have fixed your issue, but glad it is sorted out for you. This is necessary if you replace the battery and the warning is given. My research has also shown that there are fragile wheel speed sensors that are easily damaged when doing alignments.

We had to replace our steering angle sensor last year when the car starting showing malfunctions like there was no tomorrow. It even showed coolant error! All was traced to a bad steering angle sensor, and after replacing that, all was well.

Thanks for responding! I also thought it was a broken steering angle sensor. But my MB Carsoft II reader suggested the steering angle was off, and it was WAY off. Car would pull hard to the right. Thinking I just needed the reset, I did the procedure you suggested to no avail.

After the steering wheel was corrected when I had the alignment redone, the light went away. SO my conclusion is that if the alignment was not done properly, and steering wheel NOT straight as an arrow, that WILL cause the warning light to come on an produce code c1170.

However equally as likely it would seem that the steering angle sensor could have busted, but I am glad it did not!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C200 Kompressor
Originally Posted by kokketiel

HOw much did you spend on the angle sensor? Was the replacement too difficult?
Old 10-06-2023, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 Luxury RWD W204
Thank you for posting this, I am going through the same issue and your information has helped clarified my issues. Getting alignment done in 2 days, guess I'll just have to keep on driving it until it clears itself.