C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

yes, i know..another newbie Grill Question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004.5 C230K SS - Alabaster White
yes, i know..another newbie Grill Question...

ok guys, i know there are many threads/posts about grill upgrades for the c-class...but after reading so much material...i'm still somewhat lost...

i'm a new and proud owner of an 04 C230 Kompressor sport sedan, all excited to do my first (and probably only) upgrade with a new grill. i don't know anything about being a mercedes owner and about the brands or aftermarket parts, etc. (a former "racergirl" that grew outta my 98 teg gsr that just wants a comfy and stock daily driver )

i've read many different posts and have seen grills referred to "star grill," "cl look grill," "sport grill," etc.. It also seems that there is a really expensive one that is like $600+ and a cheaper one that is about $150. also, i realize that there seems to be one with the star in the middle that has a mesh grill behind it and one with the star that is completely solid, some are made in germany, some are made somewhere else, etc... I'm not sure what the terms are to describe all of this or what all of these different types of grills are referred as...

anyway, my first attraction to this grill was when i saw it on a display C230 sedan at the dealer where i bought my car, and it just made all the difference.. well, the one that i saw was the one with the mesh grill behind the huge star on the grill and after doing some research online and what not, the grill with the solid big star in the middle still does not aesthetically appeal to me as much as the other.

so my question is, can anyone summarize it all and enlighten me on what is what and which is which and what prices are good, and give me leads to where i may find the grill at an affordable price? i don't really care about the brand name of the grill, as long as it is a decent quality grill (i want the one with the black mesh behind the star), easy to install and affordable.

i'm located in so cali, so if anyone knew of places where i can go look at and purchase the grill would be greatly appreciated.

if possible, maybe you guys can also post what kind of grill u have, where u got it and how much for...so i can get a feel of what is out there.

any lil bit of info is appreciated and thank you all in advance for the help!
Old 04-12-2004, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
This topic has been beaten to death countless times. Do a search to find out more info.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Originally posted by oggle
This topic has been beaten to death countless times. Do a search to find out more info.
C'mon oggle she's a chick dont scare her off:p

You can go with what we affectionately call the 'ebay grill'. You can find it on Ebay I believe for 150-250. It looks CHEAP. Not worth it IMHO. Then you got the 'taiwanese grill'. That is the large star grill with black background 'non 3d' you can prolly get it for 300 bux too on ebay. Then you got the expression grill. THats the one I got. You can pick up that one at evosport. Much more though Any more ?'s feel free to hit me up on aim
Old 04-13-2004, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by LorinserCClass
C'mon oggle she's a chick dont scare her off:p

You can go with what we affectionately call the 'ebay grill'. You can find it on Ebay I believe for 150-250. It looks CHEAP. Not worth it IMHO. Then you got the 'taiwanese grill'. That is the large star grill with black background 'non 3d' you can prolly get it for 300 bux too on ebay. Then you got the expression grill. THats the one I got. You can pick up that one at evosport. Much more though Any more ?'s feel free to hit me up on aim
HARRR.

Ok if you want to be hardcore, go for the MHDezent/Expression Grille. It's the most expensive, but none of the others can compare in looks. Just my opinion.

And thanks to Enri, JamE55 will be PMing you soon...
Old 04-13-2004, 08:41 AM

Black C 240
Solid star is used when a car has the distance control feature (laser to keep car at speed/distance from the car in front of it) so you dont have to and dont need the solid star. The mesh star as you call it does look better....
I also agree having looked at many photos that the expressions grill looks awesome and appears equal (may be the exact same) as the grill offered by performance products - which is $550 or so and is a real MB CL grill cut down to size for the C class.....happy hunting and post photos when done.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

HARRR.

Going limp....HAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 04-13-2004, 12:16 PM

2003 Brilliant Silver C230 Sedan
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=66318

IMO, the expression grill by mh-dezent that can be purchased at performanceproducts.com for $599 is the most aesthetic of the various grills. fyi, there's a 2" x 20" piece of the grill that needs to be painted to match your body color. this can be painted at any autobody paint shop for $40-60.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh yeah btw best shops in la/so cal area have to be eurorev, f1motorsports and tws. They usually help you slap on that flat badge thing for your hood. So just a grill and thats it? You retire?
Old 04-13-2004, 12:55 PM

2003 C230 Kompressor Sedan
Welcome to what is probably the most rude forums for newbie to join. The standard answer whenever the mood hits is the search the forum.

Of course, this IS from the group that makes their purchasing decisions on whether the offer free oil changes or not.

Good luck getting any quality information from here.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by SteveS
Welcome to what is probably the most rude forums for newbie to join. The standard answer whenever the mood hits is the search the forum.

Of course, this IS from the group that makes their purchasing decisions on whether the offer free oil changes or not.

Good luck getting any quality information from here.
Hey I didn't say STFF (search the f*ing forum) now did I? In fact I kindly typed out a long sentence just to not be rude. Fact is this topic has been beaten to death and I was too lazy to type up a full essay at the time (doing my taxes). I've personally answered questions about the CL grille at least 20 times, via public posts and PMs (especially when I post pics of my car with it on).

But hey, no need to get all postal just because you, Mr. SteveS, weren't able to get people to answer your own questions and handhold you from beginning to the end.

Last edited by oggle; 04-13-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And thanks to Enri, JamE55 will be PMing you soon...
Hopefully she received my bunny e-mail. :p
Old 04-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Out Of Control!

I love the way you greet new members! So polite!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:33 PM

2003 C230 Kompressor Sedan

But hey, no need to get all postal just because you, Mr. SteveS, weren't able to get people to answer your own questions and handhold you from beginning to the end.
You must have me confused with another Steve S. I have never asked a question in this forum. My comments were purely from observations.

I suggest that you, Mr. Oggle, do not respond to questions asked by telling people the topic has been beaten to death and to search the forum.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:35 PM

Where can I buy AUTHENTIC Lorinser grills from?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:50 PM

2004.5 C230K SS - Alabaster White
dude, thanks for liftin my spirits...i checked for replies to this thread that same day and after seeing that first and only reply, i was like, 'geez, did i not imply that i already had done a search (research) and that i know this topic has been beaten to death and want replies from anyone that does not mind holding my hand through this stuff?'

but anyway, i'm glad the rest of you guys are so nice and helpful and welcoming . for some reason, i don't think i can see myself spending more than 300 bucks on a grill, although i'm pretty sure that you do get what u pay for and that that one expensive one must be bomb ***. but...reality check: i ain't gonna spend that much hard earned dough on a grill for my already cute car. :p

so yea i probably want to just get the grill and the flat badge for my hood for now...takin baby steps y'know..

thank u LorinserCClass, for spelling it out for me, and for the recommended shops in socal. i think i will go check em out. thank u JamE55 for the kind email, and thank u all for the useful information and kind words of wisdom...

with that said, i will go do some comparison shopping and give u guys an update. please do continue adding any information that you think would be useful to me. i will continue to check back on this thread regularly. and if i have any more questions, i'm glad there are members of this forum that will take the time and make the effort to answer them.

u guys rock, thanks!
Old 04-14-2004, 06:57 PM

2009 BMW 750i, 2008 Toyota Prius
Going limp....HAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Bloodninja?

I just cauliflowered!
Old 04-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by heaven_leee
thank u JamE55 for the kind email, and thank u all for the useful information and kind words of wisdom...
You're welcome! Now post pics of your sexay ride pls! lol
Old 04-14-2004, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
I can speak from experience when I say that the cheap star grill sold on ebay is not worth it. It looked cool for a few weeks, then I switched back to stock.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by heaven_leee

but anyway, i'm glad the rest of you guys are so nice and helpful and welcoming . for some reason, i don't think i can see myself spending more than 300 bucks on a grill, although i'm pretty sure that you do get what u pay for and that that one expensive one must be bomb ***. but...reality check: i ain't gonna spend that much hard earned dough on a grill for my already cute car. :p

You dont have to buy it YOURSELF...Thats what boys are for

Yeah just be careful how much you spent...lol next thing you know you spent equivalent to your car-no wait that just me:p
Old 04-15-2004, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by freakinfreak
Bloodninja?

I just cauliflowered!
ROTFL
Old 04-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Out Of Control!