C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

misaligned pulleys?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 280 4matic and 2008 C350 sport
misaligned pulleys?

I have 2006 C280-4matic. I replaced the PS pump recently successfully finally with a LUK brand and thanks to those on this site who helped.... even to angry Plutoe...LOL.. I bypassed the AC compressor (it did not work) with the recommended/suggested shorter serpentine belt. I had also replaced the two idler pulleys (smooth and grooved) and tensioner last year. After driving for around 100 miles, the next morning I heard a chirp or squeal or whatever from around the idler pulley area. I tried the spray water on the belt test and noise went away. I also noticed that the outside edge of the belt began fraying, not the inside edge. I read about pulleys being misaligned and the consensus is that the PS pulley is a likely culprit that is misaligned. I think that may be the issue, but I put a straight edge against the PS pulley and the pulley next to it and they seemed aligned, then I put the straight edge between the two idler pulleys and they seemed slightly mis-aligned. The pulleys are less than one year old and I don't drive the care much at all; I garage it in the winter which around here, lasts for 5 months. Anyway, what other diagnoses can I do to figure this out.? Thanks again for reading this and responding anyone!