C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Advice on single vehicle accident and estimate of expenses

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C280
Advice on single vehicle accident and estimate of expenses

Hello everyone this is my first post. I been reading on the forum for a while and now I am in need of advice.
This is my car, image at the bottom.
2007 c280 rwd
My Benz hit the concrete barrier. Brake stopped working, based on what I see, it seems like the tube was disconnected. Shop guys said the radiator may need replacing too, it's possible since the bumper was pressed inwards. Bumper, lights, part of the front frame need to be replaced (he said its not easy to bend the metal back, it's easier just to replace the metal). Lastly, he said he can try to bend back the hood, but if insurance is involve he can just order a new hood.

Shop guys said he can't give me a good estimate yet until he look up the cost of the parts first. if I pay out of pocket he will look for old parts for cheap. If I go to insurance he will try to get me brand new parts.

Shop is own by relative of a good friend. I doubt he will try to screw me.

Base on people's experience, what's the likely damage? and the cost?

Should I involve insurance or paid it myself?

my concern with involving the insurance is that, I am a new driver, my premium is 5000 CAD a year. I bought the car used for 8000CAD, if repair cost is too high, I heard the insurance company may just drop me from their policy. Also, if they do pay and don't drop my policy, I will likely get a massive hike. Also there is the possibility the repair cost more than the current value of my car.
My deductible is 1000CAD
http://imgur.com/0qps88F

after doing some reach, there is the possibility of insurance company will consider my car to be total loss. the likely repair cost may be around 2-4k parts plus labour. insurance company will lose less money if they pay for the blue book value of my car, and then junk it for parts.

blue book value is around 6-8k CAD
repair cost is estimated to be 4-5k CAD
Most of the car is still in tact, and they can make at least 3k in parts sale.

So far, my insurance company has not assess the damage yet, they are sending some one to do that with in a week.

Thanks everyone for their help and advice. If there are new updates, I will put them here.

Last edited by generalmeng; 03-20-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-19-2017, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 188 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Ouch. Looking at probably $2k at least in used parts, before labour. If new parts, your car is effectively totalled. It doesn't take much to total a W203 in this day and age unfortunately. How emotionally attached are you to that car?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
220SE Coupe, ML250, E320
Take the loss and move on
Old 03-19-2017, 06:47 AM

2007 C280
Originally Posted by slammer111
Ouch. Looking at probably $2k at least in used parts, before labour. If new parts, your car is effectively totalled. It doesn't take much to total a W203 in this day and age unfortunately. How emotionally attached are you to that car?
this is my first car. I am bit attached to this car. If I sell it to a junk yard for parts, how much can I get out of it?

also what are some parts I should remove from the car to sell it myself?

I think base on that estimate, I will likely pay for the repair out of pocket. It will suck, but if i need a car in the future, likely I will have to spend more money. If this benz is good for another few more years. I guess it may still worth investing into it

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Mercedes-...&orup=13_15_29

here is a 2002 c240 4matic

Can I use this as a parts car? would the bumper, hood, radiator and front frame fit?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Mercedes-...&orup=19_15_29

also another thats a 2003 c kompressor sport

Last edited by generalmeng; 03-19-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Originally Posted by generalmeng
My Benz hit the concrete barrier. Brake stopped working, based on what I see, it seems like the tube was disconnected.
If you're saying your brake lines was disconnected prior to the accident,.... then figuring out how to fix your car is really the least of your problems right now! You should be focusing on who cut your brake lines and why!!!

Anyways,..... Why buy entire car for parts when all you need is a few parts,.... contact local mbworld poster patrickkc - I would recommend him highly
xenon headlight from C32
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-par...ing/1219944203
bumper and other W203 parts
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-par...rts/1219946598

Other parts,...
http://www.kijiji.ca/o-posters-other-ads/74871555
Old 03-19-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
I agree that you must know/find-out, why the brake line failed!
If it was because of rust, then it is not the only bad/rusty brake line!

For those of use that live in snow areas, and deal with snow and salt, and older cars, they know what I'm saying above is true.

As for the damage, without knowing about the radiator or AC condensor, I agree that you're looking at ~$2,000 - $4,000 in parts. And, ~$1,000 to $3,000++ in labor.

Fwiw, imho, that's minor damage. That's assuming that the driver's side quarter panel needs minimal work, and the door and main-frame were not affected.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:25 PM

2007 C280
The brake was damage after the accident. It was working fine before.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
E63S || C63 || E550 Coupe || Cayenne ||
Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto
If you're saying your brake lines was disconnected prior to the accident,.... then figuring out how to fix your car is really the least of your problems right now! You should be focusing on who cut your brake lines and why!!!

Anyways,..... Why buy entire car for parts when all you need is a few parts,.... contact local mbworld poster patrickkc - I would recommend him highly
xenon headlight from C32
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-par...ing/1219944203
bumper and other W203 parts
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-par...rts/1219946598

Other parts,...
http://www.kijiji.ca/o-posters-other-ads/74871555
Thanks Raymond for the kind referrals. I'll see what I have to help a fellow member out.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:42 PM

2007 C280
My car is considered total loss.

I will I'll be using autotrader.ca and use their listing price as my reference counter offer

the insurance will likely try to low ball me.

Any other tips how I can get a good estimate of my real value?
Old 05-09-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 CLS 550
Wow that's a quick and easy fix for someone who know what they are doing. I buy these types of cars all the times from insurance company auctions.

You have to compare retail against wholesale. Retail parts from the dealer are about 4-6 times more than OEM parts and 10 times more than slightly used "refurbished" parts. If you go to a body shop that does insurance work they are quoting you "retail" parts and retail labor simply because that's how they make their money.

I just got an 08 cls550 for $5k that was a "total loss" according to the insurance company and the retail costs to repair it using all new Mercedes parts was over $10k. I buy refurbished used body parts for next to nothing and provide them to the shop I use for labor. The labor is VERY cheap because the guy works out of his back yard. 1 bumper replacement and 1 fender, 2 doors, and 1 quarter panel repaired. I also got a new ac condenser with drier for less than $100. The entire cost to repair including paint will be less than $2k. The entire car will also be wet sanded and topped off with a coat of clear paint to bring the paint job back to new. The entire project budget was $8k and looks like I will be under enough to pick up some new wheels! One mans trash is another mans treasure.