C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: Which car for MB-BOB's daughter
Toyota Corolla LE
9.09%
Honda Civic LX
59.09%
Hyundai Elantra GLS (longest warranty)
31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Car for MB-BOB the younger (MS MB-BOB)...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 11:18 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Poll: Car for MB-BOB the younger (MS MB-BOB)...

As some of you may know, I recently bought a Toyota Corolla CE for my 17-year-old daughter in her senior year of HS. The deal is that it will be her car after she gets a college diploma (4 years). In the meantime she could drive it, etc...

Well, maybe you also know the sad story about how the Corolla met its end after only 425 miles on the ODO, at the hands of said teen. (She rear-ended a parked pick-up.) The insurance company totalled the car and I received the final settlement check today.

Anyway, I need to buy a replacement car. Her mom says a '96 Accord might be her speed, but I'd like to start new to have a decently aged car by the time she graduates. Only prob is I can't decide what car to buy. I'm leaning toward one of those 10yr/100K mile warranty jobs. So, let me know your opinion of the following three choices.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32
If she is a threat to all cars, better stick with a safer one... for her sake. You know what I mean? the Elentra may not be the best bet.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
isn't the corolla being phased out? replace by the cool looking Matrix?

Matrix

comes out in february (can you wait til then?) checkout the 360 view of the exterior - the bikerack inside the car slides out! how cool is that?! and the wrap around glass.

Last edited by young; 11-26-2001 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A friend bought two Elantras last year, one for himself and one for his college age son. They are well equipped for the price, not bad looking, and so far there have been no warranty problems with either car. I don't have any experince with the other two, but it is hard go wrong with Honda or Toyota. I would purchase the Elantra and save a few bucks.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
MB-BOB,

Get her a Civic -- out of these 3 cars it's the safest one. Safety aside, I'd pick the Corolla - based on my experience with service loaners
Old 11-27-2001, 12:00 AM
Bud

99 ml320, 2002 C230K
The old Elantra did crappy in crash tests. I thought the new elantra did great, 5 stars from the govment, but the insurance institute test (the one they show on Dateline) it received a POOR rating.

IIHS test of 2001/2002 Elantra

The Santa Fe did great the crash test, but you'd probably have to spend $16k instead of $13k.

Last edited by Bud; 11-27-2001 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:10 AM
gab

From parents point of view, your list of cars make sense: inexpensive, cheap to insure, no identity

I think Civic LX is more popular among young people. Corolla and Hyundai are too 'old-***', I would prefer Toyota Echo, great mileage and reliability, inexpensive, young looking car

Have you considered Golf/Jetta 2.0L, Mitsubishi Lancer? should be about the same price as a new Civic.

If I were your daughter i would have requested a used New Beetle, used Miata, Civic Coupe

If I was you the parent I wont buy a new car for kids be that new Hyundai or new MB, cos I want to teach them to work hard to get their first "new" car
Old 11-27-2001, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
c-class

the c-class - best overall safety ratings
Old 11-27-2001, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
You can't go wrong with a Civic. In my opinion, the best car of the three.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gave my daughter a Mustang because it's a lot of metal, has a high safety rating, looks reasonably cool, comes fairly loaded for cheap and you can get a coupe for under 15k (w/auto) and the convertible for about 20k. An equivalent Civic would cost more. Look for 2001 leftovers and get great rebates or special financing. I've had 5 Mustangs and they've been the most reliable cars I've owned and that includes 4 so-so MBs. Ford service while not up to MB standards comes pretty close. I think the Civics, Corollas and Sentras are not good for a younger driver because they are small and there's a lot of giant sport utes out there. I spent 3 months in a hospital, 6 weeks in a body cast and 3 more months in physical therapy when I was 18 driving my brand new Corolla into full size pickup driven by a 17 year old. Also my wife was hit while driving her Suburban by a 16 year old girl in a Civic that ran a red light and only had her license for 3 days. When I got to the scene the ambulance took the girl away already but the remains of her Civic were still there with blood everywere and everything from the dashboard forward was gone. My wife and daughters had nothing to show for the accident other than a bruised Suburban. We never heard from the girl other than her insurance paid for everything.

Don't put your daughter in a toy car!!!
Old 11-27-2001, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I gave my daughter a Mustang because it's a lot of metal, has a high safety rating, looks reasonably cool, comes fairly loaded for cheap and you can get a coupe for under 15k (w/auto) and the convertible for about 20k. An equivalent Civic would cost more. Look for 2001 leftovers and get great rebates or special financing. I've had 5 Mustangs and they've been the most reliable cars I've owned and that includes 4 so-so MBs. Ford service while not up to MB standards comes pretty close. I think the Civics, Corollas and Sentras are not good for a younger driver because they are small and there's a lot of giant sport utes out there. I spent 3 months in a hospital, 6 weeks in a body cast and 3 more months in physical therapy when I was 18 driving my brand new Corolla into full size pickup driven by a 17 year old. Also my wife was hit while driving her Suburban by a 16 year old girl in a Civic that ran a red light and only had her license for 3 days. When I got to the scene the ambulance took the girl away already but the remains of her Civic were still there with blood everywere and everything from the dashboard forward was gone. My wife and daughters had nothing to show for the accident other than a bruised Suburban. We never heard from the girl other than her insurance paid for everything.

Don't put your daughter in a toy car!!!
Civic is no more a toy car than a Mustang against a Suburban, especially head on. The 2002 Civic has the highest safety rating in its class (was awarded the "best pick" nomination).
Not too long ago I read about an accident where a mid-80's Japanese sedan hit a 80's Crown Vicroria head on. The Japanese car was all crumpled, whereas the Ford seemed more or less intact. However, the driver of the Japanese sedan walked from the scene, whereas the driver of the Ford was killed with his neck broken.

Last edited by vadim; 11-27-2001 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-27-2001, 02:14 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Get her a used caddy... pleanty of car there for safety! hehe
Old 11-27-2001, 09:22 AM
Almost a Member!

C230 Coupe
A Vote For the Civic

Just traded our Civic LX in when we got the MB230 Coupe. Had it for ten years, no mechanical problems. My wife had two accidents in it and car handled both of them well (no injury to wife). On the last accident, the other driver ran a stop sign and incurred much more damage.

Was a fun car to drive, looks good, and trade-in value was approximately 35% of initial retail 10 years ago. In fact, my original plan was to keep it at least until my now 11 year old became a driver. IMHO. if my experience is any indication, I don't think the ten year warranty should be a deciding factor.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Bob,

Get her a 1983 Volvo wagon. Those tanks can hit ANYTHING and survive! Besides, it can serve double duty as a dump truck/hauler for all tthose Home Depot and Walmart runs she'll have to make for you! I heard her next target is the pillar between your garage doors....