C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Install transmission cooler and bypass the radiator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts
C320
Install transmission cooler and bypass the radiator

Some background on the problem.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...pping-out.html

Well the lock wire worked at preventing another major oil spill but the transmission cooler line kept periodically popping out a mm or two and leaking atf. I tried tightening the lock ring, tying it with wire to keep the clip together, just about everything. Every 500 miles I would get another leak, the last time it squirted a thin stream of ATF right onto the exhaust manifold for some fun smelly smoke effects. The Radiator was newly replaced by the previous owner and made by Behr.

I decided to bypass the radiator completely and install a separate transmission cooler. Initially I bought a hayden 676 (left) but once I had it in my hands I decided I wanted something bigger so I bought a Hayden 679 (right) which is about 1 foot square.
Name:  gULcJMy.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  90.1 KB

Pull the top radiator support.
Name:  ATGXch4.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  73.2 KB

The area is tight, very tight but eventually I figured out that the best spot for it was slightly toward the passenger side to clear the hood latch and pipes on the front side of the AC condenser.
Name:  qDmqPsf.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  81.4 KB

I made a small mounting bracket that sits on top of the AC condenser, with foam to separate the AC condenser and trans cooler both top and forward. There is no metal to metal contact anywhere. The stock PS fluid cooler had to be repositioned slightly forward by flipping over its mounting bracket at the U bend, one of of the 2 horns needed to be moved up and the plastic trim at the top of the condenser needed a slight trim.

Name:  IMjnEZx.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  ZNRKUKy.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  206.9 KB

The hoses from the trans cooler run down below the AC condenser and radiator and connect with the stock cooler hoses through a pair of 3/8" brass barb splicers.
Name:  gtwRewx.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  173.7 KB

And heres the old transmission cooler connection in the radiator completely bypassed. I'll have to plug it up with something.
Name:  HnGt7ro.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  82.0 KB

Another example of an external transmission cooler.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...r-mounted.html

Last edited by tjts1; 09-02-2017 at 09:44 AM.