C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Anyone have Bixenon problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C55
Originally Posted by Moviela
The factory lamps are white. The assemblies you have are projector type lamps. You have the type that will illuminate the road better than older high intensity discharge (HID) lamps. Mercedes started years ago with a reflector system. The refraction caused by the reflector made the light appear blue at certain angles. Many people now believe that blue is better. It is not. Your eye is not as receptive to blue light as white but some people will swear blue is easier for them to see. They also get 40 mpg in a BMW.

The halogen lamps use 55 watts on low beam. The xenon lamps use 35 watts. The front SAM is dectecting this difference, and reporting a warning because the car has not been set to xenon=present. You might need to pay your dealer for half an hour to get that set.

Canada has a DRL rule, but I am not sure how Canadian market cars acomplish that. My US based car can be set for DRL via the multi-function display, but my Asian based car does not have that menu choice.
hmmmmmmm, so they installed it but didnt set the LAMPS to turn on during the day? how did it sense the light? i mean it does turn on, but goes off once i reach an area with light.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
These are two differnt functions, DRL and the conversion to xenon lamps. There is an auto position on your headlight switch. When a light sensor thinks it is dark, it turns on the headlights. I have heard people report that the lamps flicker when xenon are installed, but the version coding with star diagnostics is not done. I really don't know why the lamps would turn off for good, unless the front SAM is detecting a fault that could cause damage. These lamps have a 25,000 volt starting voltage, so service should only be done by a qualfied person, even changing the lamp can be dangerous.

DRL can be turned off and on via the steering wheel controls on one of the menus on my car. I am not sure how Canadien cars provide the low power daytime running lights with xenon lamps.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:22 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by 14cue
hmmmmmmm, so they installed it but didnt set the LAMPS to turn on during the day? how did it sense the light? i mean it does turn on, but goes off once i reach an area with light.
that's because you have the headlight set on AUTO.

and you have the error msg because you don't have the xenon to begin with. You'll need to go to your dealer or whoever ur tech is that have the Star-Diagnostic to set the Xenon setting to "present" otherwise the error msg will always be there.

the xenon beam turn on when you use the high beam because it's Bi-xenon. The normal high beam and xenon are both used when you turn on the high beam.

Last edited by FrankW; 03-12-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by FrankW
that's because you have the headlight set on AUTO.

and you have the error msg because you don't have the xenon to begin with. You'll need to go to your dealer or whoever ur tech is that have the Star-Diagnostic to set the Xenon setting to "present" otherwise the error msg will always be there.

the xenon beam turn on when you use the high beam because it's Bi-xenon. The normal high beam and xenon are both used when you turn on the high beam.
thanks frank!

i'll get this done asap. they probably wont be able to do it for a few days, i was told by steve3 not to run my car till this is fixed, what should i do? i mean, i cant not drive it, i need to get to work. should i turn it on to high beam at all times till it is fixed so it doesnt flicker?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Not sure but don't people turn on the lights before they start their car to get around the xenon issue?

Erik
Old 03-13-2006, 12:47 AM

2005 White C230 SS
Bix is the DRL in Canada, so I am not sure how you can manage to make it to trun off in the daytime, you may need a Canadian light module switch. It is different compare to the US one, that is why we don't have DRL menu in the dash, my bix is stock and there is no way for me to trun it off when the engine is on. hope it helps
Old 03-13-2006, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by LMing
Bix is the DRL in Canada, so I am not sure how you can manage to make it to trun off in the daytime, you may need a Canadian light module switch. It is different compare to the US one, that is why we don't have DRL menu in the dash, my bix is stock and there is no way for me to trun it off when the engine is on. hope it helps

yeah, thats true. it's b/c mine didnt come with it, and since the guy that installed it messedup and didnt set them to ON they're turning off. but what i'm wondering now is what i should do since i HAVE to drive it a few days before i get it fixed to avoid burning it out and blowing up the entire unit, should i turn it on high beam, would that avoid the flickering?.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

should i turn it on high beam, would that avoid the flickering?.
Have you tried turning on your lights before starting the car?

Erik
Old 03-13-2006, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
not yet, will that work?
i really just want to avoid damaging it till it is fixed. and ppl keep mentioning "flickering", do they mean this in literal terms or does the ignitor flicker on and off to keep it running?

Last edited by 14cue; 03-13-2006 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not yet, will that work?
i really just want to avoid damaging it till it is fixed. and ppl keep mentioning "flickering", do they mean this in literal terms or does the ignitor flicker on and off to keep it running?
I don't know, but if you search you'll find that sometimes people can avoid the flickering by turning on the lights, then the car. For some reason the car doesn't detect an issue or something.

Erik
Old 03-13-2006, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
turning on the lights first then the car seems to do the trick, but i would still like to get this updated. anyway, i brought it into the shop this morning and they said they dont have the latest software to update the day time lights! wtf is up with that?

so now i have to wait. i called my dealership and they wont touch it. at least they dont flicker, it just shuts off when it dectects light, i wonder if this will damage anything?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

turning on the lights first then the car seems to do the trick, but i would still like to get this updated. anyway, i brought it into the shop this morning and they said they dont have the latest software to update the day time lights! wtf is up with that?

so now i have to wait. i called my dealership and they wont touch it. at least they dont flicker, it just shuts off when it dectects light, i wonder if this will damage anything?
Glad the trick worked. Yeah, generally you're supposed to find a dealer to do it first so you don't get stuck like you are. I'd call every dealer you can find. I'd explain how you are unhappy your 'usual' dealer won't help and that you would be willing to switch and use them all the time if they fix the setting for you (which you will pay for). Of course after they do it, you don't have to use them again, it's just a ploy to get them to help you (not really help, you are paying in most cases).

Good luck,
Erik
Old 03-13-2006, 12:50 PM

'03-ML350 'inspiration'
RE: My '03-ML350 'inpiration'-w/ Bi-Xennon Headlamps

Hi,

I brought my vehicle to the dealer 2 wks ago, for a change of a headlamp--which wasn't working(no 'white light'). They decided to change both for me b/c the other one "was also checked & seemed to be about time". Two things I was told(after got off the phone w/ them--inquiring the lack of 'whiteness' of the lights): (1) It'll take about a wk for the lights to work properly...(2) The bulb/lights/whiteness will not be projecting the same as it was first came fr the manufacture. Are they true? If so, how do I get my headlamps(bi-xenon) to project their whiteness/intense purple-ish as it was before--when I first purchased it(brand new)? Would you please be kind to provide me some info on this?
This is second wk now--and the lights still not intense as they were once before. When I first start the engine--I can see the blue-ish-white lights(like it was originally before)...but after 20 or 30 seconds its intensity gone.
Thank-you so much for taking the time to read my message!

Have a pleasant day!

Kind regards,
Reynaldo
Old 03-13-2006, 01:36 PM

'03-ML350 'inspiration'
You know--I have exactly the same situation now! When started the car--first ~30 seconds it's really nice blue-ish & intense. I remember my lights('03-ML350, Bi-Xenon) were like that once before--when I bought it brand new...until rencently, one didn't work and the dealer decided to replace both for me(under warranty)...and now, it's not as intense and/or blue-ish as it was before...most definitely--noticeable--is that first 30 seconds...and then gone...no more blue-ish. Can any help me understand? Thank-you!
Old 03-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Like we said before we sold you the lights and like we said (several times) after you received the lights, YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE XENON OPTION SET TO PRESENT IN YOUR EIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driving the car during anytime of day WITH your canadian light settings and WITHOUT the xenon set to present WILL RUIN THE XENON HEADLIGHTS WITHIN A FEW DAYS!!!!

Switching the lights on before actually starting the car might work BUT IS NOT SAFE as the lights WILL switch off by themselves again AND YOU DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!

so in short: get the xenon set to present NOW (rather then ASAP as that is already too late).

greetingz,
Old 03-13-2006, 02:12 PM

'03-ML350 'inspiration'
...When the dealer replaces these xenon bulbs...shouldn't they set it for me though? By the way, what is "EIS"?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
Like we said before we sold you the lights and like we said (several times) after you received the lights, YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE XENON OPTION SET TO PRESENT IN YOUR EIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driving the car during anytime of day WITH your canadian light settings and WITHOUT the xenon set to present WILL RUIN THE XENON HEADLIGHTS WITHIN A FEW DAYS!!!!

Switching the lights on before actually starting the car might work BUT IS NOT SAFE as the lights WILL switch off by themselves again AND YOU DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!

so in short: get the xenon set to present NOW (rather then ASAP as that is already too late).

greetingz,
thanks Steve for all your help. my problem now is that my dealer wont touch it. i'm going to bring it in and beg them to do it anyway and see what happens. what a pain in the ***, my fault for bringing it to a ****y auto shop i guess.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:04 PM

2005 C320 -Sports package - black / black
Here are some screen shots to help
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126858
Old 03-13-2006, 05:23 PM

2005 White C230 SS
Steve, is there any way to disable the DRL in Canadian model ? or I have to change the switch, my dealer told me i have to change the switch to US spec, please let me know, thank you....

Last edited by LMing; 03-13-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Steve, is there anyway to disable the DRL in Canadian model ? or I have to change the switch, my dealer told me i have to change the switch to US spec, please let me know, thank you....
LMing,

why do you want to disable it? just curious.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:01 PM

2005 White C230 SS
your xenon bulbs has 2000 hours of life time, it's 300 US a pair, and stupid MB use it as DRL. so do the math, lol

Last edited by LMing; 03-13-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
your xenon bulbs has 2000 hours of life time, it's 300 US a pair, and stupid MB use it as DRL. so do the math, lol
LOL< i figured that much. i dont think you require any switch to do that. i could be wrong but i know mine didnt need it, but that b.c i didnt have Xenons to begin with. anyway, 2000 hrs is plenty and yes MB is a rip off!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
so here is the update, i'm screwed!
i brought it to MB and they wont touch it, they said if they wired it correctly there is not reason why the DRL is off. and really that is teh only thing is wrong with the BIX at the moment, they dont flicker or anything and at night they stay on!

the guy from the shop that did the retrofit says his current software only handles up to 04 modles and he donest use star, but something equivalent to it, is this bull ****?

i cant find anyone that can help me in Vancouver! they either dont know what to do (dont have the software) or simply wont (MB).

this is so frustrating! i had no idea this would turn into such a nightmare, over 2 grand now and they dont work properly, and if i dont get them fixed soon they could damage all together.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:03 AM

2005 White C230 SS
This sounds bad, but like you said if the light doesn't flick and only trun on in the nigh time, I think you should be happy, lol, because I want my bix to be like that~

I guess you need to find the "right" service advisor, try to bring some beers or something, my SA is very kind for me and always willing to help me....
Old 03-14-2006, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
lol, maybe i should move to Montreal, they're useless over here in the west. i called just about everyone of the dealers here. the only thing left is to find an auto shop that has the software. we should switch cars! :P

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anyone have Bixenon problems?