C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How do you wash your baby in a drought?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you wash your baby in a drought?

Here in the Northeast, we have some severe water restrictions and heavy fines for washing cars. Of course, the car washes are still running, but that is supposed to be bad for the finish. So what do you suggest I do? The black paint is looking pretty awful...
Old 04-12-2002, 09:46 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Did you know that there were water restrictions when you ordered your car. Then why on earth did you order a black one?

Sorry, Can't figure out how to wash a car without water...
Old 04-12-2002, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

take it to your dealer... they will do it for you.. may not be the best wash job but still it will be somewhat clean...
Old 04-12-2002, 09:56 AM

'01 CLK 55
Inside your garage....With the door closed.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
14 ML350 4MATIC
Originally posted by Brian Yee
Inside your garage....With the door closed.
haha... great idea Brian.

I also go to dealer to wash my car. I did twice so far. I had no problem...

And I enjoyed free breakfast, too.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:45 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Mercedes Benz of Princeton has a big sign up in the waiting room "We are sorry, we cannot wash cars because of water restrictions"

so that idea isnt gonna work.

california car dusters, and meguires spot detailer to the rescue!

they can make your car shine last for a while, as long as it doesnt rain.... then you HAVE TO WASH IT, if its black.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
14 ML350 4MATIC
Originally posted by greg230
Mercedes Benz of Princeton has a big sign up in the waiting room "We are sorry, we cannot wash cars because of water restrictions"
I don't like the Princeton dealer anyway. That's why I go to the Ray Catena in Edison. They r good, and know how to treat customers. AND they do wash. I did it last Saturday...
Old 04-12-2002, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Greg...
MB Princeton doesn't wash cars unless you're there for service. Salesmonkey still has his job, and Sales mgr is still an arrogant puke. The service guys are terrific, even though I often have more info on what I want done than they initially have.

(btw, I never collected on the bribe(not that I would anyway)..and haven't heard or seen any results of the survey scores they received...probably shrugged it off because of their errors)
Old 04-12-2002, 10:57 AM

All of the above
We are not allowed to wash cars at our dealership (in PA)either.
We also have a little sign apologizing, we vac and do windows right now, that's it.

Suggestion: We have a local car wash that is completely touchless AND recycles their water. They do a pretty good job. Find a a good carwash that recycles and they should be open(bring your own shamy and towels and you should be okay)
Old 04-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by CME4BENZ
We are not allowed to wash cars at our dealership (in PA)either.
We also have a little sign apologizing, we vac and do windows right now, that's it.

Suggestion: We have a local car wash that is completely touchless AND recycles their water. They do a pretty good job. Find a a good carwash that recycles and they should be open(bring your own shamy and towels and you should be okay)
we had a drought here in florida a while ago but it never stopped me from washing my car i did it just when i wanted and i only got one fine. lol but i dont care as long as my car looks good and shines i dont care about the fines.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:23 PM

Car Wash

Have you tried using a bucket? That is what I have used for years. I only use water no soap and a wash mit. How would anyone know how much water you use. Good luck
Old 04-12-2002, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For in-between car washes I use Meguiers detailing spray (never put a dry rag on your car). There's a product I heard about years ago that promises a water free car wash. You can see for yourself at www.dri-wash.com I don't have any experience with the product but have seen it at auto swap meets, flea markets, county fairs and the like. They have 3 dealers in NJ.

I just don't use that much water washing the car. I fill a bucket up with about 2 gallons or water. Mist the car, wash and rinse. I probably use 10 gallons of water at most. The garage sounds like the best place. Will the water police notice the water leaking out of the garage? Tell them your water heater broke!

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2002, 08:49 PM

W203 coupe Kompresor
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
For in-between car washes I use Meguiers detailing spray (never put a dry rag on your car). There's a product I heard about years ago that promises a water free car wash. You can see for yourself at www.dri-wash.com I don't have any experience with the product but have seen it at auto swap meets, flea markets, county fairs and the like. They have 3 dealers in NJ.

I just don't use that much water washing the car. I fill a bucket up with about 2 gallons or water. Mist the car, wash and rinse. I probably use 10 gallons of water at most. The garage sounds like the best place. Will the water police notice the water leaking out of the garage? Tell them your water heater broke!

Good luck!
this stuff isn't bad i've tried it.. but doesn't do a super job wouldn't do it on a black car... mine was maroon...
Old 04-13-2002, 02:52 AM

M3
There are water restrictions for a reason, but it you REALLY have to wash your car, go to a hand car wash.

Car wash's are required to TREAT the water before sending it back into the water system.

When you wash your car on your driveway, you are actually hurting the environment because all the soap and chemicals are going into the water system.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:59 AM

C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
Originally posted by Fuzzo
take it to your dealer... they will do it for you.. may not be the best wash job but still it will be somewhat clean...

dealer wash is on the house? and how many times can i get them?
Old 04-13-2002, 08:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
For in-between car washes I use Meguiers detailing spray
Good luck!
Whats Meguiers detailing spray and how do u use it.

oh and by the way whats the difference between wax and polish?
Old 04-14-2002, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not a fan of Maguires products except their Quick Detailer. You can get it at Pep Boys or most places that sell that stuff for about $5. It's very mild cleaner that has a wax that lubricates the surface so you can wipe it clean. It doesn't streak and you can use it on anything in your car (windows, chrome, paint). Also works great as a lubricating liquid for your clay bar. It's great for removing finger prints, dryed on drip marks from an earlier wash, bird crap, light dust. I wouldn't wash my car with it. Use a micro fiber cloth for detailing. They are so great. Once you use them you'll never go back to cotton.

Polish does not contain wax (although some combo products do but I would stay away from them). I like oil based polish with clay in it but they are generally not available at your local parts shop. It's used to remove contaminants, swirl marks and deep ground in stains. Wash your car with dish washing soap to get all the wax and dirt off your car before polishing. Although in theory you can hand polish a car it goes a lot quicker with a high speed buffer and a foam pad. I polish most of my cars twice a year, the black C-coupe a little more often.

Wax puts a protective coating on your freshly polished surface to protect it from oxidizing, bird crap, and other harmful contaminants. It also fills in fine swirl marks. Wax is most easily put on by hand. To get the high quantity of wax to stay on your car, use small amounts and buff it to a shine just as it start to haze and is still moist. Leave it on too long and you end up taking much of the wax off and it takes longer.

If someone wants to setup an FAQ on this type of stuff I would be happy to contribute. I've restored and shown classic cars and have made mediocre cars look great.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
I'm not a fan of Maguires products except their Quick Detailer. You can get it at Pep Boys or most places that sell that stuff for about $5. It's very mild cleaner that has a wax that lubricates the surface so you can wipe it clean. It doesn't streak and you can use it on anything in your car (windows, chrome, paint). Also works great as a lubricating liquid for your clay bar. It's great for removing finger prints, dryed on drip marks from an earlier wash, bird crap, light dust. I wouldn't wash my car with it. Use a micro fiber cloth for detailing. They are so great. Once you use them you'll never go back to cotton.

Polish does not contain wax (although some combo products do but I would stay away from them). I like oil based polish with clay in it but they are generally not available at your local parts shop. It's used to remove contaminants, swirl marks and deep ground in stains. Wash your car with dish washing soap to get all the wax and dirt off your car before polishing. Although in theory you can hand polish a car it goes a lot quicker with a high speed buffer and a foam pad. I polish most of my cars twice a year, the black C-coupe a little more often.

Wax puts a protective coating on your freshly polished surface to protect it from oxidizing, bird crap, and other harmful contaminants. It also fills in fine swirl marks. Wax is most easily put on by hand. To get the high quantity of wax to stay on your car, use small amounts and buff it to a shine just as it start to haze and is still moist. Leave it on too long and you end up taking much of the wax off and it takes longer.

If someone wants to setup an FAQ on this type of stuff I would be happy to contribute. I've restored and shown classic cars and have made mediocre cars look great.
thanks your info helped.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:12 AM

C230K
California Car Duster Everyday while you let your car warm up in the morning. They have them at Costco for $12, go get one
Old 04-15-2002, 02:32 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
man...what is up with your state...
i thought CA is already dry enough
Old 04-15-2002, 08:25 AM

Thumbs up I did it!

We were getting some brief but sometimes intense rains this weekend. I sat there and waited, bucket, sponges and soap in hand. As soon as the rain hit, I filled my bucket with about a gallon of tap, lots of soap and began washing, fully wet parts of the car first. Used lots of soap and gentle motions to avoid the dirt-sand paper effect. Not a perfect wash, but it was fun as hell. Thankfully we got enough rain to get the soap off so I did not have to cheat with the hose.

The neighbors already think I am nuts. My wife was laughing so hard when she saw me run by the window with a bucket that she decided to join me. We looked like wet rats by the time we were finished-- well she looked kind of cute...
Old 04-15-2002, 08:28 AM

... and by the way, thanks to everyone for the suggestions...

Sometimes, if there is a spot of bird crap or something else bad for the paint, I will put a little spray wax on it and gently wipe off. Just make sure it is soaked and comes off with no pressure. You don't want to scrape that into the clear coat.