C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Burnt Ground wire connector on fuel sender

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 Kompressor Coupe
Unhappy Burnt Ground wire connector on fuel sender

Hi Guys,

Lately i have had issues of my 2003 Mercedes C180 Kompressor cranking but no start. After inspecting i've seen that there is no fuel pump operation on my vehicle, so i have replaced my fuel pump. After a few successful starts i've encountered the same problem again with the car cranking but unsuccessful in starting. I've tried tapping with my rubber mallet around the fuel sender and asking someone to crank the engine at the same time allowed the car to start. Once having a look at the fuel sender and removing the 5 pin connector on top of it, i realised that the metal connector of the brown (ground) wire was fried. Im just curious to know why this has been burnt. Also as to what each wire on the connector represents. I am aware the black/green stripe wire is positive that powers the fuel pump and the brown wire is ground. What are the other wires used for and are the black and brown wires used to energise the fuel pump and sender at the same time?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 PM

C32 AMG
Melted ground on fuel sender pump ?!

Originally Posted by kkaplan
Hi Guys,

Lately i have had issues of my 2003 Mercedes C180 Kompressor cranking but no start. After inspecting i've seen that there is no fuel pump operation on my vehicle, so i have replaced my fuel pump. After a few successful starts i've encountered the same problem again with the car cranking but unsuccessful in starting. I've tried tapping with my rubber mallet around the fuel sender and asking someone to crank the engine at the same time allowed the car to start. Once having a look at the fuel sender and removing the 5 pin connector on top of it, i realised that the metal connector of the brown (ground) wire was fried. Im just curious to know why this has been burnt. Also as to what each wire on the connector represents. I am aware the black/green stripe wire is positive that powers the fuel pump and the brown wire is ground. What are the other wires used for and are the black and brown wires used to energise the fuel pump and sender at the same time?

Thanks
Wondering if you ever figured this out.. i has the same issue with my Bosch sender unit and I replaced it under warranty with Bosch but I’m hoping it isn’t a bigger problem that I haven’t diagnosed
Old 08-07-2019, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W203 forum...
Old 01-18-2024, 01:18 PM

CLK55
Has anyone found what's causing the earth/ground wire connector and pin terminal on the fuel sending unit to overheat/burn and melt?