C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2006 S203 weatherstrip/seal/rubber replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
2006 S203 weatherstrip/seal/rubber replacement

Hi!

I'm new to this forum so go easy on me

First off, couldn't find a room for my S203 hatchback (maybe I'm completely blind?) so I thought this would be the most relevant place to put my post in. Anyway...to the problem in hand. For a long time I've had a "loose trunk" sound when driving over speed bumps or potholes on the road. The sound could be described as a "the-trunk-sounds-not-completely-shut" sound, even though of course it is. I've checked the most obvious thing - the lock itself is not loose. Yesterday, to further investigate things, I placed two folded microfiber towels between the trunk and the weatherstrip/seal/rubber (call it whatever you like) and closed the trunk and went for a drive. The annoying sound was significantly reduced. So my theory is that the weatherstrip as gone "soft" and is not able to push against the trunk with the same force at it used to and therefor making the trunk a bit wobbly, but not enough to start leaking water in.

So now I've ordered a new weatherstrip for the trunk from my MB dealer, and what I'm asking you guys is if there is anything I should think about when taking on this DIY? I found no videos on YouTube regarding this. Is it simply to rip out the old one and pushing the new one in?

Thanks in advance!