C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 C200 CDi 2005 Strange Hissing Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 CDI
W203 C200 CDi 2005 Strange Hissing Noise

Hi Fellow MB fans, new member here so please move this thread to the relevant section 😁 Before i start i am a complete amateur when it comes to the mechanics of a car, please bare with me.

I have a 2005 W203 C200 CDI. I have spent about £2500-£4000 trying to bring it upto a decent level mechanically. From SAS (steering sensor), Track arms, injectors, vacuum pipe, belt retensioners, you name is its probably had it replaced.

It has a MOT and service in April which it flew through with no issues. That left me with one thing to do - engine mounts. Again car drove well except for the vibration through the steering/cabin.

So i put the car in the garage and was told it was sorted, there was some improvement. As i drove home i noticed a strange whooshing/hissing noise from the passenger side. Mechanic looks at it and says its a crack in the exhaust leading off the turbo (i think). Welds the crack and says its okay. Again i drive home and the noise is still there. I doubt it is the turbo as the car pulls sweet and smooth with a nice whistle to it.

My only suggestion as a amateur, is that as the noise wasnt there before the mounts work, maybe a pipe has come loose of some description when re fitting the engine? Any ideas as to what the solution could be? If i find a solution i will update the thread for future help.

Thanks People.

Paul B.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 CDI
Just incase anybody is interested in the outcome, here it is....

My mechanic used a 'smoke machine' to expose any leaks from the pipes. Within a minute we picked up a leak from the booster pipe.
The pipe clearly had some damage to it, I paid £60 for the pipe and paid £135.00 all in including labour to tidy the issue up.

I told my mechanic that I took it to another garage for a second opinion, basically the booster pipe had no damage before doing the mounts, this tells me that they haven't taken the engine out with care when changing the mounts. I have also had a rattling noise from the engine since the mounts were replaced, its not the loudest noise but you can hear it when sat idle. Fluctuating RPM needle with white smoke from the exhaust has also become visible. Car was running fine until the mounts were done. Kind of wished I never bothered now