C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Excessive black smoke under load and idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 CDI W203
Question Excessive black smoke under load and idle

Hi Guys,

I am hoping i can get some help from you all? I have a 2001 C220 CDI 6Spees W203/S203 T-model estate.

I notices that pretty much from one day to another it started giving out a lot of black smoke under load and in idle in the mornings.

My initial thoughts was Injectors (which i took out and got serviced and tested), then i also tried changing the fuel filter and air filter.but the issue remains the same.

My local mechanic says its normal but i refuse to believe it as from one day to the next it stated. I haven't noticed any loss in power, it still seems to pull well. I took it to an recommended merc mechanic and she showed me that the Swirl flaps were lose and moving about to the point the link from the survey came off. So servo is working, but not moving the flaps. He suggested we either swap them out with new (quite pricey) or just to block them off.

I have no idea what steps i should take next, or if this will cause any additional damage? A friend suggested a EGR emulator to be fitted as this will make the ECU think its all working fine, even though the linkages are off. But again, i am not sure about that, does that really work?

Please can someone help me, i am desperate to get my baby fixed and sorted out again.

my baby
Old 07-30-2018, 05:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Your crazy, take the last mechanics advise. Don't listen to the FUYA emulator folks, that's more problems---also check with MB as I believe they have a swirl flap fix
Old 07-31-2018, 02:14 AM

C220 CDI W203
Hi Plutoe,

I'm prob crazy as i don't know I didn't know there was a swirl flap fix. So i may have to go check that out at the local Mercedes benz dealer.

Would the swirl flaps cause the the excessive smoking then, for sure? Do they not also have an impact on the power delivery of the car? as this is not affected?

Sorry for asking a lot, i am just trying to understand the works of it all.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 C220
Originally Posted by Tom Nilsson
Hi Guys,

I am hoping i can get some help from you all? I have a 2001 C220 CDI 6Spees W203/S203 T-model estate.

I notices that pretty much from one day to another it started giving out a lot of black smoke under load and in idle in the mornings.

My initial thoughts was Injectors (which i took out and got serviced and tested), then i also tried changing the fuel filter and air filter.but the issue remains the same.

My local mechanic says its normal but i refuse to believe it as from one day to the next it stated. I haven't noticed any loss in power, it still seems to pull well. I took it to an recommended merc mechanic and she showed me that the Swirl flaps were lose and moving about to the point the link from the survey came off. So servo is working, but not moving the flaps. He suggested we either swap them out with new (quite pricey) or just to block them off.

I have no idea what steps i should take next, or if this will cause any additional damage? A friend suggested a EGR emulator to be fitted as this will make the ECU think its all working fine, even though the linkages are off. But again, i am not sure about that, does that really work?

Please can someone help me, i am desperate to get my baby fixed and sorted out again.

my baby
Hi friend,how did you fix the problem? I have the same ...

Old 08-22-2022, 10:06 AM

C220 CDI W203
Smile

Hi benz-w203,

Yes, I bought another intake manifold and changed it out, as it came with new Swirl flaps. Didnt completely resolve the smoke issue, but it was a big improvement. I bought one of ebay as it was somewhat cheaper.
But i upgraded my car also since then to a S212 E350
The following users liked this post:
benz-w203 (08-22-2022)