C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

BAS/ESP malfunction question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 09:46 PM
Deb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K Sport Coupe
BAS/ESP malfunction question

Hi Guys and Gals,
I'm taking my C Coupe to the shop (Bill Ussery in Miami) on Monday because I got a malfuntion message flashing BAS and ESP Visit Workshop. Upon reviewing my manual, I learned that this is a C2 message (not urgent, but take it in and get it fixed). Apparently it means that my brakes work normally, but I don't have the BAS or ESP functioning. My service manager had me check to see if the brake lights come on when the brakes are applied (they do), as he said sometimes this message is triggered if the brake lights are not working. He said I'd have to leave it so he will have a loaner for me. I didn't ask what it would be.

My questions are: 1) Has anyone had experience with B. Ussery service department. Are they competent and curteous?
2) Has anyone had this malfunction message? If so, what was the cause and remedy? Thanks for any info.

I love this car! It just gets better and better. My California water blade arrived yesterday. Had to wash my car tonight (after dark) to try it. Will be interesting to see what the car looks like in daylight. :p
Deb
Old 04-19-2002, 10:00 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
In installing my XM Radio, we noticed that if you start the car with the connector for the dash center buttons disconnected, the car says the SRS and ESP are non-working. Plugging the buttons back in fixes this.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I got that problem the other day, when one of my rear wheel spin...after that...i went up the freeway....and suddenly....i see the ABS and ESP error message....

Stopped my car at a shopping mall, restart the car, and the messages are gone! 1 day later, it occur again...and i did the same thing...and the messages disappeared..till now....
Old 04-21-2002, 09:57 AM

I got the message also. The dealer replaced a sensor (took 2 trips since they didn't have it in stock.) Got the message a few weeks ago, then notihing and no malfunction report. It happened again last night.

I was told they would need to replace a sensor again. I'm also interested in what successful resolutions there are for this problem.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:50 AM
Almost a Member!

Crossfire Coupe
Got the same message after starting my car in the morning, flashing ESP/BAS apparently I had a system leak and the ESP brake pressure sensor and sender unit was replaced. They took care of it the same day at Mercedes of Miami right away. I'm reaching my limits with this car's electrical faults and am ready to trade it in on something else.
Old 04-21-2002, 01:22 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Thanks, guys, for the info. I'll let you know what happens. I think the messages disappear after you restart the engine because they are stored in the malfunction memory.
Deb
P.S. I couldn't reply for a couple of days as the website was unavailable.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:26 AM

06 C230
Originally Posted by Xeon
I got that problem the other day, when one of my rear wheel spin...after that...i went up the freeway....and suddenly....i see the ABS and ESP error message....

Stopped my car at a shopping mall, restart the car, and the messages are gone! 1 day later, it occur again...and i did the same thing...and the messages disappeared..till now....
almost exact thing happened to me, except the 1st time i got error was crossing a train track, it stayed until morning, then 2nd day it came when I was turning a corner on the freeway, and it did not leave upon shutting off the car, it's still here this morning. Getting 2 error messages, ABS, ESP, and some kinda Tire pressure message. anyone know if this is super serious or not? I am taking the car to the dealer when I get off work regardless. Makes no sense that a car this new should be having problems

Trending Topics

Old 12-16-2005, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Sport Sedan 4MATIC, Cayenne S, Bayliner Capri V8, Subaru STi
replace module and control unit