C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 Steering and Acceleration Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C230
C230 Steering and Acceleration Questions

I have a 2004 C230 Sports Sedan and am curious if other owners have noticed similar issues.
First off compared to my Z4 the C230 is very tough to steer. Typically when turning a corner and accelerating in the Z I can let off the wheel and it will come back to straight as I exit the corner. With the Benz I physically have to turn the wheel back. The steering overall just feels very heavy.
Also, when accelerating there is a 2-3 second pause before the car gets going. I have had turbo cars and know about the lag involved with it but does a supercharger have the same? I did not notice this issue when I bought the car. I also wonder if since I live at 5,000 ft if that will make a difference.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-17-2004, 08:49 PM

Re: C230 Steering and Acceleration Questions

Steering system design, geometry and vehicle weight all have a hand in determining the overall feel of a steering system. Your altitude would have little effect on the performance of a modern fuel injected engine. While the air density would vary with changes in temperature, altitude and humidity the combustion requirements of the engine remain almost the same.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Re: C230 Steering and Acceleration Questions

Originally posted by viper
Your altitude would have little effect on the performance of a modern fuel injected engine. While the air density would vary with changes in temperature, altitude and humidity the combustion requirements of the engine remain almost the same.
Very untrue. It is a known fact that engines perform much worse at higher altitudes because of lower density of the air. Normally aspirated engines are affected the most. Turbo engines have a huge advantage since they can pump as much air as needed to achieve the desired boost, this is controlled by the wastegate. Supercharged engines will also feel certain lack of air, not as badly as N/A, though.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:02 AM

2004 C320
Don't both Turbos and Superchargers both use forced induction? The Turbo using exhaust gases to spin the turbine and the Supercharger using the belt to spin the turbine.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by goldenbuddha
Don't both Turbos and Superchargers both use forced induction? The Turbo using exhaust gases to spin the turbine and the Supercharger using the belt to spin the turbine.
Yes, but turbine (air pump driven by exhaust gasses) is more flexible - it can be spun faster by sending more exhaust gas its way.
Even if the ambient air is rare (such as at high altitudes), a desired boost can still be achieved this way.
Supercharger, on the other hand, is an air pump driven by belt (because of this it is incorrect to call it a "turbine", BTW) and its speed is always fixed for any given engine RPM. So, although a supercharger does compress air, the resulting boost pressure still depends on the density of the ambient air to a much greater degree.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
If you have an automatic and sense the delay when first starting off, that is a known issue with the MB tranny. It is actually designed that way for smoother take offs if I remember correctly.

The steering is heavy as it is supposed to be since it is a Sport Sedan. I actually like a vehicle that the steering wheel does not snap right back to center if I let off it, since I like smooth turning not abrupt centering and throwing the car all around. The W203 I think was the first to switch from recirc ball steering to rack and pinion, the W202 and W201 were both recirc ball if I remember right. So MB may have also made it stiffer so it was the same. If you want no steering feel go drive a Chevy Equinox, they have electronic steering with no feel what so ever!!!!
Old 06-19-2004, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
The steering on mine will self center as most RWD do, but it doesn't snap back. It is very controlable. Check you tire presure if the steering is too heavy. I run 32 front and 36 rear for every day use and 41 all around for autocrossing.