C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

WTB..but..Is it really THAT expensive to own a MB?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking
WTB..but..Is it really THAT expensive to own a MB?

Have a couple of questions.
I am looking at a couple of MB....one for me, and one for my daughter.
I am IN LOVE with the look of the SLK 55 AMG.....but that is still 2 years down the road.

I have found some SLK 320's I like at a reasonable price, and in searching for that have seen a c230 coupe that seemed decent for my daughter....except the radio is busted.
She is only 16....we were going to get her a VW bug...but when I really look, there are c230's that are the same price as a decent bug.

I put quite a bit of miles on cars....we live 25 miles from the school....and 55 from my work...so would put on about 30k miles a year. daughter will probably put on 15k a year.
SO looking at used cars in my price range, they will already have 150k+ miles. I had an old Ford go almost 300k miles though so in general High miles doesnt scare me that much.

I am not a mechanic, but I am a good parts changer....I usually do all of my own repairs. As long as someone can help me diagnose a problem, and I can find some basic instructions...I am pretty good to do just about anything....which is why I love forums. haha.

I have seen complaints that the C230 coupe will eat tires...and of course my initial concern is.....I have always heard about how expensive it is to own an MB.
I know an older mile VW will need something....and I know the engines are in very tight quarters and so the pain in the rear factor of repairs will be fine....but....the parts will cost not so much, and they are available ANYWHERE.

So I am wondering how much of my fear is reality...Will I be able to find parts for a 15 year old car? How much more expensive will they be?
Also...How many miles is 'realistic' out of these cars before they have major issues (new transmission....new engine type stuff)

Old 01-05-2019, 09:05 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w20...l#post17639002

You likely do not want a MB.
Buy a Civic or Corolla.
Sorry everyone looking to buy a used car, you are not a ga-zillion times smarter than every other person on the planet.
The used car prices are the way they are for many reasons.
Compare the price for any W203 verses a similar year, mileage, condition/etc, Civic, or Corolla.
Not counting specialty cars like a Mustang/Vette, the prices often do reflect the rough value of vehicle.

Fwiw, since ~2000, all MB vehicles have been a "POS", like GM Vehicles.
In other words, they are designed to last for ~~8 years/~~80K miles.
Still, with that said, with the right maintenance and preventive maintenance, those cars can last a long tim

If someone is not going to keep a car that long, nor past warranty, then MB and GM are often much better for the price paid.
Imho, if someone is buying another new car, before the warranty expires on their existing car, then, imho, they should maybe concentrate on things other than long-term reliability.

Fwiw, the change was to help keep MB alive. A number articles have been written about the directional change at MB at that time.
And, imho, like what happens with many companies, it was a good way to make more profits, and to make the execs richer with more stock options and bonuses.
It's called Capitalism.
Imho, although Capitalism is flawed, it is still tons better than the other economic and political systems.
Fwiw, because of Capitalism, companies like Toyota and Honda make more money (and hence more profit) by selling cars to people looking for cars with good long-term reliability.
The same is true for the Ford F-series trucks. That's why they sell ~2x more Ford F-series trucks than the next popular selling vehicle.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/15-b...cks-suvs-2018/
Old 01-05-2019, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
You haven't said what years you are looking at. At lot depends on mileage, maintenance, ownership, etc. I myself would never buy a MB without some sort of warranty. Yes parts and repairs are expensive, and your odds increase exponentially on an older car.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 729 Likes on 545 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
My suggestion:
Go to ROCK AUTO.com and MB specialty online parts stores
enter in the cars you are looking at.
Then browse thru the parts to check some prices.
PAds, rotors all 4 corners.
Water pump maybe
Belts and hoses.
Few engine sensors like MAF, water temp oil pressure.

Then compare to what you know now....
Figure all manufacturers parts fail at roughly the same rate; it is the price of the parts that hurt.
Can you afford it?

Review how to do oil change - this is where you can save money.
Are parts available in your area?

Tires are tires and how they wear depends on alignment and how you drive.
You do not have to get the super duper autobahn speed rated tires yo uca nget lesser ones rated higher mileage.

One last thing.
how far away is the local dealer should you ever need him.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt for "New To You" Cars.

PS look at CPO if you can afford as you get factory warranty plus a year and unlimited mileage during that period of time.
Then if you find car is breaking dpown a bunch in this timeframe you can always sell them and start over.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
I would personally for a first car get her a Honda or Toyota instead. Drive it for a couple years. Let her get use to driving and learning the basics of driving. Maybe for her 18th Birthday move her up to a nice C Class or E Class. Chances are her first car is going to be trashed or hit or she will hit something.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by RedGray
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w20...l#post17639002

You likely do not want a MB.
Buy a Civic or Corolla.
Sorry everyone looking to buy a used car, you are not a ga-zillion times smarter than every other person on the planet.
The used car prices are the way they are for many reasons.
Compare the price for any W203 verses a similar year, mileage, condition/etc, Civic, or Corolla.
Not counting specialty cars like a Mustang/Vette, the prices often do reflect the rough value of vehicle.

Fwiw, since ~2000, all MB vehicles have been a "POS", like GM Vehicles.
In other words, they are designed to last for ~~8 years/~~80K miles.
Still, with that said, with the right maintenance and preventive maintenance, those cars can last a long tim

If someone is not going to keep a car that long, nor past warranty, then MB and GM are often much better for the price paid.
Imho, if someone is buying another new car, before the warranty expires on their existing car, then, imho, they should maybe concentrate on things other than long-term reliability.

Fwiw, the change was to help keep MB alive. A number articles have been written about the directional change at MB at that time.
And, imho, like what happens with many companies, it was a good way to make more profits, and to make the execs richer with more stock options and bonuses.
It's called Capitalism.
Imho, although Capitalism is flawed, it is still tons better than the other economic and political systems.
Fwiw, because of Capitalism, companies like Toyota and Honda make more money (and hence more profit) by selling cars to people looking for cars with good long-term reliability.
The same is true for the Ford F-series trucks. That's why they sell ~2x more Ford F-series trucks than the next popular selling vehicle.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/15-b...cks-suvs-2018/
Ya I have no clue what your talking about. My 2005 C Class has close to 300k on it. No major issues at all. No rust either. You bought a 230K and that is why you think the way you do about MB. I got 200k miles out of a 2002 E320, 302K out of a 1997 E320.

And if you understood basic supply and demand no kidding the cars in the Motor Trend article are best sellers. Look how inexpensive they are and mass produced they are...
More people can afford to drive a Corolla that starts at $18,000 vs a C Class that starts at $42,000... Also, as far as used values how many people are in the market for a old W203? Not many... Also, how many people can afford the upkeep and inscurance and premium fuel?

Last edited by C280 Sport; 01-07-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 342 Posts
C320
If you can't DIY owning a 10-15 year old Mercedes is going to be a very expensive and unpleasant experience. If you can DIY parts are dirt cheap plentiful and the knowledge base on this and other forums is vast. I drive old benzes because for me they're cheaper to own than Hondas and Toyotas. You just need to decide which camp you fall in.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by tjts1
I drive old benzes because for me they're cheaper to own than Hondas and Toyotas.
And they for sure are much more fun to drive than a Toyota or Honda ANY DAY!