C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Installing these HIDs was not fun...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2002 | 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
Installing these HIDs was not fun...

Well, bascially everyone thinks its my car. Something is wrong with my car where it will not except the xenon settings. I have tested everything. Just when it is hooked up to my car it will just turn on for 1 min then off then on then off, etc. I ran it with everything hooked up minus power, gave the car constant power bypassing my headlight switch and IT WORKS FINE. ERRRR!!!! I left it on for 5 min. I am now feeling like my car is special... so special that it will not allow me to run HIDs. All ballasts, conectors, etc, are in working order. I hate my car but am going to live with this. I am installing a small switch next to the headlight knob. Hehe. Oh well, if you cant beat it, just compromise. I talked to the manufacturer and they are willing to do whatever it takes. I dont think this kit is defective. They told me to check my ground. I did, its fine. The kit is actually nice, but my stereo shop says its a little more complex. He installs HIDs all the time. I dunno if i recommend this kit or not. I just think be ready for the worst which is my case. Where your car WILL NOT accept the changed Xenon settings. Whatevers. I got HIDs regardless. Just finishing up everything now....
Old 04-23-2002 | 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
By the way, thanks everyone for trying to help. I really appreciate everyones input. That lightning page was very helpful in convincing the service dept to switch my setting to xenon. Everyone would keep saying its so hard but when the tech heard what menus to go into he just shut up and agreed. LOL! He was like....yeah your right. Ahahahah. Anyways, thanks everyone, this forum is always a nice tool to have.

Too bad it doesnt work right but now I can turn off all my lights except my HIDs. Oooo Ahhhh.
Old 04-23-2002 | 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
my question is, are you going to try another kit? or are you going to sort of keep your current setup?

since you're leaving the xenon setting as present, you could experiment some more w/ another kit.

could it be the ballasts are expecting a certain amount of power and the mb isn't providing it?

ah, well, although i am curious about it, i'm going to let it go too...
Old 04-23-2002 | 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
WOW!!! My stereo man is a genious!! He took apart my factory headlight switch, found the wire for the signal input for the headlights and wired it to the HIDs. This just bypasses the computer so everything works like stock. No problems. Ahahahaha. It works after all! Im happy, no drilling, no switch, just like stock. Just no computer to give me any error codes. LOL!!!!
Old 04-23-2002 | 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
OK man you MUST elaborate On how he did that. My dad is an electrical genius. He and I did all the wiring for our house, so I'm sure we could figure that out.
Old 04-23-2002 | 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
Well, I just got my car back. Hmm. Its not what I thought it was. I guess he just bypassed the computer, used the factory switch to turn on the lights. Pretty simple I guess, not a genius but made life easier for me. He did not use the factory light wires but ran different ones to the switch, directly from the HIDs. So bascially switch sends signal to relay which turns on lights. Problem is its attached to the parking lights and when I turn it all the way the error will come on. So basically there is a power, ground and remote line to the relay, and the remote is tapped from the parking light. Hmm. If it was me I would have just connected it to the last switch but i guess this is safer. I dunno. I would have cut the factory headlight line and attached it to there. I wonder if that would send a error. Whatever the case it works. This has been one big headache and now it works. Also, I dont like purple that much, I have hyperwhite everything and it doesnt match at all. Dilemmas dilemmas.
Old 05-27-2003 | 12:42 AM

C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
question...

what was ur problem exactly? did ur lights turn on for one minute and then off... and off and off

or did they just blink and off, and again and again... cuz thats happenign to me
Old 05-27-2003 | 01:02 AM

C230 K
well, looks like the HID4LESS kit is still the best eh?
Old 05-27-2003 | 06:48 PM

BrabusCClass...

So you didnt think by reseting 'xenon present' will cure the problem? which stereo shop did you bring it to? I have mine done at san gabriel area shop with initial "K". I've gone back over and over again, have the wiring for ground, and it still flickers. I cant seems to turn on the engine and turn on the light at the same time. If i turn the light on before the engine, then it works fine. How annoying could this be?

Can you recommend anything else?
Old 05-27-2003 | 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
Audio Planet Motorsports did mine. (213) 748-2332 ask for David.
Old 05-27-2003 | 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
Originally posted by clotzki
BrabusCClass...

So you didnt think by reseting 'xenon present' will cure the problem? which stereo shop did you bring it to? I have mine done at san gabriel area shop with initial "K". I've gone back over and over again, have the wiring for ground, and it still flickers. I cant seems to turn on the engine and turn on the light at the same time. If i turn the light on before the engine, then it works fine. How annoying could this be?

Can you recommend anything else?
Oh in your case yes, going to the dealer should cure it. Mine flickered every min or so. So I had it hardwired.
Old 05-27-2003 | 09:40 PM

hm...

hm...

why are there so many different problems..

I mean mine wont work theyll go on and off then 10 secs, and then on and off... just blinking...

I chanegd the settings and still, same ****... I think ill have to do the same thing brabsu did, hey brqabus any problems at all? what warranties do we void by doing it direct?
Old 05-27-2003 | 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
Hmm, ive taken my car to the dealer and they never said anything. Maybe I voided my headlight bulb warranty.
Old 05-27-2003 | 10:26 PM

BrabusCclass,

Hey when you go to the dealer to have them do the reset, did they charge you with any cost or covered by warranty? and also that's not too difficult of a task right? Just a simple resetting from their computers? and are they are fully aware of these things? I just need to know what to say if somehow they're giving me hard time about this xenon aftermarket thing. Im prob gonna go to W. Simonson at Santa Monica.
Old 05-27-2003 | 10:39 PM

hm...

Im gonna try installign it using anoither switch at the side... I guess that will work fine. Ill post picsa thsi weekend when I do it with my friend who knows this stuff
Old 05-28-2003 | 02:47 AM

hm..

my sunroof is kind of messed up...

?