C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Any Cold Air Intake for C-class???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300E
Any Cold Air Intake for C-class???

Anyone know if anyone made Cold Air Intake for C-class?
I know B&B Performance made one for CLK.
Thanks.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:30 PM

C32AMG
Originally Posted by S_kLaSse
Anyone know if anyone made Cold Air Intake for C-class?
I know B&B Performance made one for CLK.
Thanks.
The stock intake is a cold air intake!.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:11 AM

300E
Originally Posted by Steve Clark
The stock intake is a cold air intake!.
Oh....!!!
Its good to know NOW . So, there is no way to upgrade it to something better? Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:36 AM

2004 E55 AMG
A CAI is merely an intake pipe that draws air from the grille, air dam, guard, etc... into either a POD filter or an airbox.
What exactly do you want?

If you want to upgrade to something that will improve airflow, you could look at the following:
POD filter (with aluminium or carbon fibre heatshield)
or
Stock or Modified airbox with aftermarket air filter

If you go for a POD filter, it will probably be more expensive because you will need a heat shield for it to work effectively.

If you want a cheap performance mod, maybe you could see if K&N or someone makes an aftermarket filter which fits in the stock airbox.

I recommend you make yourself a manometer to check the pressure drops caused by the components of the intake, then decide how to increase airflow.

The stock W203 airbox, by the way, is not a bad design. However I have not taken one apart and analysed it, so I don't know the internal flow design or where pressure drops occur.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wouldn't make much difference
Old 07-18-2004, 11:44 AM

CLK200K
you may not necessary need to change the intake box, try shielding it first.

Originally Posted by S_kLaSse
Oh....!!!
Its good to know NOW . So, there is no way to upgrade it to something better? Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:49 AM

300E
Originally Posted by [180]
POD filter (with aluminium or carbon fibre heatshield)

If you go for a POD filter, it will probably be more expensive because you will need a heat shield for it to work effectively.

I recommend you make yourself a manometer to check the pressure drops caused by the components of the intake, then decide how to increase airflow.
Thank you 180.
Sounds complicated. hmmm... I should ask around now about custom POD.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:10 PM

2004 E55 AMG
To increase airflow into your engine, there are a few components to look at:

1) intake duct from outside car to airbox or pod
2) airbox or pod
3) pipe from airbox or pod to plenium
4) plenium
5) intake manifold
6) throttle (not likely to be too much restriction, usually only a problem on race cars.)

Any, or all of these could be causing restrictions to airflow.

Just replacing the airbox with a pod or changing the filter will do nothing if that is not where flow problems are occuring!

Remember to do your research before making any changes, and if possible, put your car on a dyno before and after the mod... your "buttdyno" :p isn't an accurate tool for measuring performance gains!
Old 07-18-2004, 03:31 PM

'02 C230K Coupe
K&N is looking for a C-coupe to develop a cold-air box. They're looking for one to go to their R&D department in Riverside, CA: http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/vehicle.aspx?V=C

I've tried e-mailing them twice about it, but no response. Anybody else have any luck?

Most likely if and when they do develop one for our car it'll probably be like this: http://knfilters.com/57i/57i-induction-kits.htm
Old 07-19-2004, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
The stock intake is pretty well designed. During dyno testing Buellwinkle discovered that complete removal of the airbox only resulted in a 1-2hp gain. This was for the 2.3L motor, so if you have a 1.8L motor you should also be OK (I don't know how well the stock airbox works for the 3.2L motor.)
Old 07-19-2004, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I asked K&N several times if they wanted my coupe for testing and they said no. So I don't think K&N takes the MB market seriously. The only reason we had filters for the 2.3L was because it fit the european C200K and C180K.

As for removing the airfilter box completely, I got just under a 6HP gain. With an ITG filter I got a 1 HP gain and 3-4 HP gain with the ITG filter on a pulleyd M111 motor. The K&N actually lost .1 HP on a M111 engine with the stock pulley. Odds are that on the M271 you will never get more than 1-2HP by just changing the airbox and intake. You are already getting a sort of ram-air effect from having the scoop for the intake in the grill.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
As for removing the airfilter box completely, I got just under a 6HP gain. With an ITG filter I got a 1 HP gain and 3-4 HP gain with the ITG filter on a pulleyd M111 motor.
Thanks for the clarification, Buell. I knew it wasn't too big of a gain even with the airbox completely removed.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:15 PM

2001 C240
Intake upgrade

Having modified mostly rice crackers (ie. Hondas, Nissans, etc), I thought i could apply the same theory to these W203 machines (mine is a 2001 C240). After looking at the engine bay, it seems these C240's have dual ducts near the front and perfectly fitted tubes leading to the airbox. I can't imagine taking all that off and replacing it w/some modified ABS/PVC black piping w/a conical K&N filter that i'd probably angle it to the ground somehow. Personally, i'd probably leave that alone and go for the EVO pully + Powerchip combo.

I'd love to see pics of anybody who's actually modified the intake w/out getting the myriad of computer error messages accompanying this metal heap of beauty.

Happy ModZ!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
cold air intake's are nothing special. u get just as much gains with a drop in filter with the factory air box.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"Double Stuff" SOLD | Nor*Cals "Pesky Audi"
Reviving this old thread because I think its a possibility [with help of $$$ of course. I mean it IS a MB, lol]

So I just got done talkin to a buddy of mine who works and owns Westbury Custom Choppers & Hot Rods. The guy is a talented fabricator. Anyways, stopped by his shop today and was talking him about doing a custom "Y-pipe" for the air intake on the m271.

A few things were noted and consiered.

1. Debris. Due to opening both inductions holes mounted on the shroud, it would open up to more 'garbage' in the air, i.e. leaves, dirt, etc. That would be resolved by tacking down stainless steel mesh infront of the inlet to the air box, so that IF anything does make its way through the "Y-pipe" its easy to remove.

2. Heat. The piping would likely to be stainless steel or aluminum, therefore being directly next to the engine and in the engine bay, the "Y-pipe" would get hot and heat the air inside the pipe before it hit the air box. Solution was to either wrap the pipe or have it therma-alumi coated.

3. Water/Condensation. A few holes would be drilled at the [bottom] mouth of the inlet in front of the air box [possibly 1 or 2 at the begining at the pipe where it meets the shroud] for drainage, should water seep into either induction holes.

It basically comes down to it being do-able. Hypathetically speaking, is invested work/time/money worth the feeble gains? As it is, those who mod the m271 are aware that the money they invest into the motor is only squeezing a few horsepower here and there. So investing a couple hundred dollars into something that could have more then positive gains [with pulley, BTB, and ECU tune]. I see it as being another mod like most others. Spend a few bucks, get a few horsepower. Other then pulley and header which are dramatic increases, what would it hurt, right? Also considering a few have done CF pipes, which can't be all that cheap.

Let me know your guys thoughts.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by BadAssC230k
Reviving this old thread because I think its a possibility [with help of $$$ of course. I mean it IS a MB, lol]

So I just got done talkin to a buddy of mine who works and owns Westbury Custom Choppers & Hot Rods. The guy is a talented fabricator. Anyways, stopped by his shop today and was talking him about doing a custom "Y-pipe" for the air intake on the m271.

A few things were noted and consiered.

1. Debris. Due to opening both inductions holes mounted on the shroud, it would open up to more 'garbage' in the air, i.e. leaves, dirt, etc. That would be resolved by tacking down stainless steel mesh infront of the inlet to the air box, so that IF anything does make its way through the "Y-pipe" its easy to remove.

2. Heat. The piping would likely to be stainless steel or aluminum, therefore being directly next to the engine and in the engine bay, the "Y-pipe" would get hot and heat the air inside the pipe before it hit the air box. Solution was to either wrap the pipe or have it therma-alumi coated.

3. Water/Condensation. A few holes would be drilled at the [bottom] mouth of the inlet in front of the air box [possibly 1 or 2 at the begining at the pipe where it meets the shroud] for drainage, should water seep into either induction holes.

It basically comes down to it being do-able. Hypathetically speaking, is invested work/time/money worth the feeble gains? As it is, those who mod the m271 are aware that the money they invest into the motor is only squeezing a few horsepower here and there. So investing a couple hundred dollars into something that could have more then positive gains [with pulley, BTB, and ECU tune]. I see it as being another mod like most others. Spend a few bucks, get a few horsepower. Other then pulley and header which are dramatic increases, what would it hurt, right? Also considering a few have done CF pipes, which can't be all that cheap.

Let me know your guys thoughts.
In concept, it's a good idea, but also depending on whether the person is willing to invest time/money into R&D.

Thing is, with the m271, the AFR is already quite high for stock, so no matter what type of performance upgrade you do to get more hp, the solution has to be made to resolve the high AFR. In my case, I have larger injectors (done by the shop). Don't ask me what was used or what size, cuz I can't remember. All I know is that my AFR is at the 12 range at WOT (which is pretty close to ideal).

So, the truth of the matter is, all kinds of "bolt-ons" can be made, but in order for a m271 C230K to be protected from "blowing up", the AFR has to be just right (or you're bordering detonation).
Old 04-10-2007, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Originally Posted by drexappeal
In concept, it's a good idea, but also depending on whether the person is willing to invest time/money into R&D.

Thing is, with the m271, the AFR is already quite high for stock, so no matter what type of performance upgrade you do to get more hp, the solution has to be made to resolve the high AFR. In my case, I have larger injectors (done by the shop). Don't ask me what was used or what size, cuz I can't remember. All I know is that my AFR is at the 12 range at WOT (which is pretty close to ideal).

So, the truth of the matter is, all kinds of "bolt-ons" can be made, but in order for a m271 C230K to be protected from "blowing up", the AFR has to be just right (or you're bordering detonation).
Spoken like a true M271 enthusiast .
Old 04-10-2007, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hmm, interesting. Yeah, I was huntin down vid's of c230 last nite on youtube. came across yours. went back today and noticed you still have the cloth pipe. Again, Im not looking for "Major Significant" gains. I do know that you can have a huge inlet to the airbox, but on the flipside to the box, it can only dispense so much air into the motor/sc as the exit opening is only so big. So the displacement is off from the start.

I've thought about modifying the airbox exit as minimal as possible but just to gain a bit more out of what im getting from stock.

Its kinda like, I bought my eisenmann exhaust not because of "HP Gains" [which are just about non exsistant], but merely for appearance/noise. So basically I spent $800 for noise, lol.

I know that by following through with the "Y-pipe" gains will be somewhat low, kind of like the BTB. Its weighed out as cost to hp gain.

Just want the car to breathe better, more efficiently, and seeking a small gain in hp.

I'm taking into account everything as far as gains are concearned in the finished product. That being, Pulley, ECU Tune, BTB, Exhaust, and Intake.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
my previous intake was pretty effective:

Any Cold Air Intake for C-class???-installed.jpg

sound was slightly louder, any dirt/sand should be trapped by the filter.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah I remember seein that when you first did it. I want to try and utilize both inlets though. I dont mind payin for a custom one-off. just want to see if whats been thought out by design in my head is sufficient for a gain.

thanks for your input everyone, keep it comin if you have any more input or comments. I'm stoked about this and wanna see what peoples reactions would be to it.

not saying money isnt a matter, but if its worth a gain, then a few hundred is just as worth as a SB or BTB.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by rlee02135
my previous intake was pretty effective:

sound was slightly louder, any dirt/sand should be trapped by the filter.
Did you ever get a dyno done to see if there was any gain from this? A big concern that I had, when you first made these, was the possibility of heat soak and the pipe generating hotter air than would've gone through with the OEM cloth piping.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by mig888
Spoken like a true M271 enthusiast .
Old 04-10-2007, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Did you ever get a dyno done to see if there was any gain from this? A big concern that I had, when you first made these, was the possibility of heat soak and the pipe generating hotter air than would've gone through with the OEM cloth piping.
never did a dyno......but i did sell the car with the intake on

i was planning to wrap with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2609610&rd=1,1

but i never got around to it.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
cold air intake? hahaha I have done that. it doesnt work.

unless you go crazy out on tubing, which I had problems with, and finally gave up on it!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by advans
cold air intake? hahaha I have done that. it doesnt work.

unless you go crazy out on tubing, which I had problems with, and finally gave up on it!!!
yeah, thats why im having it custom fabbed. im not messin with it. i've already got enough battle wounds from workin on my car, lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any Cold Air Intake for C-class???