C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c240 or Jaguar X-type

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 08:37 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by tonewheel
I'd rather own a Benz than a Ford anyday....
Why is owning a Jaguar the same as owning a Ford but owning a Benz is not the same as owning a Chrysler?

GGM
(Chrysler owner from the beginning until I got the Benz)
Old 04-02-2006, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by GGM
Why is owning a Jaguar the same as owning a Ford but owning a Benz is not the same as owning a Chrysler?

GGM
(Chrysler owner from the beginning until I got the Benz)
Youre a little thicke, aren't you?

The Jag is built from Ford Components, on a Ford Platform...the Benz is built from entirely Benz components on a Benz platform. Many Chrysler vehicles are using some benz componentry these days, but No MB's are using Chrysler components.

Bit of shame, really....I wouldn't mind a 300hp SRT4 motor in a W203.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:46 PM
GGM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by Outland
Youre a little thicke, aren't you?

The Jag is built from Ford Components, on a Ford Platform...the Benz is built from entirely Benz components on a Benz platform. Many Chrysler vehicles are using some benz componentry these days, but No MB's are using Chrysler components.

Bit of shame, really....I wouldn't mind a 300hp SRT4 motor in a W203.
Not thick(e), just sarcastic. As a life-long driver (almost 40 years) of Chrysler products, I have been very disappointed with my MB. I only bought it because I got the Chrysler employee discount and because I figured my father couldn't roll over in his grave again since his surviving spouse retirement check that was going to my mother now came from DaimlerChrysler. I'm sure he rolled over when Daimler merged with Chrysler.

I have a cousin who retired from Ford and has offered to get me the friends of family discount on a Jaguar or a Volvo for my next car. Still haven't decided, though. Now that my mother is gone, so is my discount at DX.

Our other car is a Chrysler 300 Series (not the C), but it drives like the derivative E Class that it is. My 1999 300M (total Chrysler but built in Canada) was a much better car. Now I have a Brazilian MB. Go figure.

GGM
Old 04-03-2006, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by ernster
It also depends on were you live I live in NYC. everything is inflated plus I am under 30 and not married. The insurence company killed me on my BMW too. 2750 a year. it stinks for me. the price we pay for the nicer things in life
Wow! That seems high to me. Who's your insurance carrier? I pay 40% less than that for my C32 living in Manhattan. Age may make a difference but not that much. Call Geico and get a quote

Back on topic:
For the money, I'd get an X-type 3.0 sport. Its a solid car and pretty fun to drive. As far as I know, they don't have as many reliablility or build problems as people think. I know 2 people that have them and they've been virtually trouble free. One of them had a tranny issue which was covered under warranty. The other one has over 90k miles and feels as tight as it did new.

I had an S-type sport and besides maintanance, it never saw the shop . My C32 has been in the shop more times than I care to count. Most of which were little things but it gets annoying. Its a solid car now but this is my first and last C-class.
I suggest drive both and spend as much time in them as possible. That should help.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by tifosiv122
Actually all (that I know of) Jags use parts developed by ford, however, those 2, the X and the S, are the only ones with power plants and chasis directly from Ford. The X is the Mondeo (sp?) and the S is the Taurus...

Erik
Nevermind. I just saw people already responded

And I also noticed how old this thread really is. WTF! Why are so many old thread resurfacing?

Last edited by NY C32; 04-03-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
I had an X-type 3.0 AWD as a loaner for about a month after my car was totaled (this was summer 2004). It really wasn't a bad car, and my first AWD sedan, but I wasn't a big fan of the interior styling and center controls (AC and stereo, plus wood accents are not my thing, especially on the steering wheel). Plus, my parents wouldn't stop complaining about how uncomfortable the rear bench of the car was (we took a trip down to LA in it), and when I sat back there, I couldn't agree more. (On the flip side, they never complain about sitting in the back of my coupe, though they do complain about getting back there ) Other than that, it's slightly bigger than the C sedan. I would still go with the 240 (or better yet the 230). I've driven several Ford cars (Mustangs, T-birds, Jags, Explorers) and I've just never been happy with them. IMO, they make cars big and bulky, but I like refinement, and I think MB has that. They just need electronics help (the X-type has universal Bluetooth, MB is still struggling with the concept).
Old 04-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by yodlebenz
WOW! Im 29 and my insurance has been about 1300/yr since i got my car (27 then). Comp/Collision, uninsured motorist, rental car, $250 deductible, the wurx. you might want to shop around. try stateFarm. /not married

Insurance like home prices depend on where you live...
Old 04-03-2006, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seems all dumb to me, why get a C240 or X-type, two slow cars when you can have a Mustang GT Convertible for less money, it's a "real" Ford, not a C240 made by Chrysler in Brazil or a Jag made by Ford PAG, it's the genuine article. It's well made, has heritage, super fast, can be made insanly faster and draws a lot more attention than any C240 or X-Type.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:16 PM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
Originally Posted by NY C32
And I also noticed how old this thread really is. WTF! Why are so many old thread resurfacing?

because ppl are using the search feature! yay!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Whoa, this is a very old thread! Now I just feel silly