C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Things to look out for when changing brake fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K
Unhappy Things to look out for when changing brake fluid

Guys,

I've decided to change the brake fluid at a local gas station instead of taking it into Mercedes 2002 W203 M111...(just did a service B and the dealer forgot about my brake fluid... already 2.5 years...and I have no time to go back to the dealership).

What I mean by "things to look out for" is like when I changed the engine oil myself then later finding out that the oil filter cover requires a specific tool to remove. The garage I went to had about ten different types of filter remover rachets but none was as angled as needed....annoying.

Any wierd bolts or nuts assiciated with bleeding and refilling the brakes?

3point
Old 07-17-2004, 02:59 PM

C32AMG
No

But you need software that only the dealer has to do it right.I doubt that your "local gas station" has access to that.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 M3 ZCP, 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS, 2018 Tesla Model X, 2023 McLaren 720S Spider
Originally Posted by Steve Clark
But you need software that only the dealer has to do it right.I doubt that your "local gas station" has access to that.
Software needed to change the brake fluid? That is unheard of. Technology has not advanced to the point where a tap on the keyboard changes/bleeds the brake fluid yet.

As for the original question, I'd suggest doing it at a professional garage instead of doing it yourself. Why? Brake is very important. You need to do it right.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:01 AM

C32AMG
Originally Posted by outie
Software needed to change the brake fluid? That is unheard of. Technology has not advanced to the point where a tap on the keyboard changes/bleeds the brake fluid yet.

As for the original question, I'd suggest doing it at a professional garage instead of doing it yourself. Why? Brake is very important. You need to do it right.
The dealer's software is used to bleed the ABS.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 M3 ZCP, 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS, 2018 Tesla Model X, 2023 McLaren 720S Spider
My apology. Technology did advance beyond my mere knowledge!
Old 07-18-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What software are you talking about? I have never heard of special software required to bleed ABS brakes. There are tons of cars from different manufacturers with ABS, and I'm sure they don't require any proprietary software for brake bleeding.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:18 PM

C200K
Thanks for all the replies, but I think I sould clear up some points...

1. I am getting it done at the local garage, I am not doing it myself.
2. Does it take any proprietary tools to bleed the brakes?

Thanks,

3point

Trending Topics

Old 07-18-2004, 11:24 PM

C32AMG
WHY is this concept so difficult for you to accept?

Originally Posted by Petmerctech
What software are you talking about? I have never heard of special software required to bleed ABS brakes. There are tons of cars from different manufacturers with ABS, and I'm sure they don't require any proprietary software for brake bleeding.
While in the shop,there is no way to get fresh fluid into the ABS pump without the dealer's software...said software will cycle the valves in the ABS valve body so that all the old brake fluid is flushed with new.

The shop that the IP is talking about going to can get most of the old fluid out...but not all of it.

And just because you "have never heard of special software required to bleed ABS brakes" doesn't change the facts one bit.Rather than getting pissy and ranting here,why don't you ask your dealer?.

FWIW,my dealer charges me $70 for replacing my brake fluid.I try to have it done about once a year when the car's in for a scheduled service.That's cheap compared to new ABS hardware.

Last edited by Steve Clark; 07-18-2004 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-19-2004, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Clark
While in the shop,there is no way to get fresh fluid into the ABS pump without the dealer's software...said software will cycle the valves in the ABS valve body so that all the old brake fluid is flushed with new.

The shop that the IP is talking about going to can get most of the old fluid out...but not all of it.

And just because you "have never heard of special software required to bleed ABS brakes" doesn't change the facts one bit.Rather than getting pissy and ranting here,why don't you ask your dealer?.

FWIW,my dealer charges me $70 for replacing my brake fluid.I try to have it done about once a year when the car's in for a scheduled service.That's cheap compared to new ABS hardware.
Gezzz, calm down! It seems as you're the one who's getting pissy. The software you are referring to isn't anything exclusive to the dealer. Any shop that has diagnostic tools from the major tool suppliers (i.e. Snap On, Matco, Mac ) will have the ability to activate the ABS pump. That said, I would say that a majority of the dealers and shops aren't concerned with going so far as to change the fluid in the ABS pump. All they're concerned with is the fluid in the lines. If your dealer's service department goes that extra step, then I guess you're lucky to have an exceptional dealer. BTW, do you actually see them activate the ABS pump during the fluid change, or do you just believe what they tell you?
Old 07-19-2004, 03:28 AM

C32AMG
Originally Posted by Petmerctech
Gezzz, calm down! It seems as you're the one who's getting pissy. The software you are referring to isn't anything exclusive to the dealer. Any shop that has diagnostic tools from the major tool suppliers (i.e. Snap On, Matco, Mac ) will have the ability to activate the ABS pump. That said, I would say that a majority of the dealers and shops aren't concerned with going so far as to change the fluid in the ABS pump. All they're concerned with is the fluid in the lines. If your dealer's service department goes that extra step, then I guess you're lucky to have an exceptional dealer. BTW, do you actually see them activate the ABS pump during the fluid change, or do you just believe what they tell you?
"All they're concerned with is the fluid in the lines"..

What about the brake fluid reservoir, the master cylinder and the ABS pump?.I don't think that you've got a clue as to what's actually involved.And yes,I have an decent dealership workshop.I watched the tech plug into my car,and I could hear the ABS cycling as the fluid was forced through the brake system.The fluid that was released at each caliper's bleeder was very dark,which is normal for year-old fluid that's resided in the brake system.
At that time (2003),only the dealers had access to the software...MBZ guards their proprietary information very carefully.It may very well be available to outside brake people by now...but I'd be surprised if that were true.
My choice is still to use the dealer's shop staff to work on my car.Fluids are always cheaper than hard parts.I keep my cars for a long time,and they won't stay healthy without proper care.This particular car sees track use,so I have to document that the brake fluid is fresh.
My comments about the dealer's software for properly bleeding the entire brake system were for the benefit of the IP,not for you.I never said that he had to go to the dealer,only that there were some things to be considered with MBZ-specific brake tools:in this case,software.The nuts and bolts are all normal.
You take care of your car as you see fit...but please stop posting inaccurate information based only on what you think that misleads other board members.
My final advice to 3pointed STAR is to go higher up the food chain in your search for the right answer to your question.If you haven't already done so,you might try posting the same question at http://mbca.org/

Last edited by Steve Clark; 07-19-2004 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-19-2004, 04:36 AM

What about the brake fluid reservoir, the master cylinder and the ABS pump?
When a brake fluid change is performed without ABS pump activation, the fluid in the reservoir and master cylinder is changed along with it.

Well, OK. I guess I have no clue as to what is going on. I guess you are God's gift to the automobile, even though you didn't know that dealers aren't the only ones who can activate the ABS pump. The tool companies have had the software available for years. So much for accurate information and misleading others. If you think that the dealers concern themselves with changing out every last bit of old brake fluid, then I guess you haven't been around much and haven't seen how some places operate. Most dealers, especially in busy metropolitian areas, don't have the time to bother with such details. The techs don't get paid enough time to hook up a computer to activate the ABS pump. But I guess you're too closed minded to believe that and that this doesn't happen in your perfect corner of the world. I'm done with this thread. Arguing over the internet is retarded, especially with someone who is closed minded and has an attitude.

Last edited by Petmerctech; 07-19-2004 at 04:39 AM.