C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New to me C230 Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230
New to me C230 Sport

I got a very clean looking 2005 c230 sport for almost free and want to get up to speed on the w203 platform. My first MB, have other euro cars and have worked on them extensively. The previous owner just replaced the starter and battery. Hey the cup holder is intact! The drivers door handle is not intact :/

The SRS light is on, as is low coolant (even though the coolant level looks good). I read it may need more windshield wiper fluid.

I have not hooked up a obdii scanner just yet. It feels like it has ok power. I believe it's the m271 1.8 liter kompressor motor in this year sport?

I'm thinking since I dont have service manual it needs a timing belt and oil change right off the bat? It's the 5 speed automatic and it looks like that fluid needs changed quite often in these cars? Any other things I should consider?

The only cosmetic issue is the person loaded in on a trailer and messed up the front bumper/ valance pretty bad. What other MB have the same front lower bumper cover as the c230 sport?

Many thanks!

The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 10:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! Please post a photo of the C.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:48 PM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
I cannot help with all of your issues, but here are a couple of suggestions.

1. There is a coolant sensor that fits into the bottom of the coolant tank. (Look for a wiring harness near the bottom of the tank and the sensor is on the end.). Mine failed and replacing it cured my coolant light problem. The part is not expensive.
2. The C230 has a timing chain. It is a common failure item. Do a search and you will find many posts.

Good luck reviving your car.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:55 AM

C230
Looks like I will do the timing belt this weekend. How is it compared to the audi 1.8 and 2.8?
Old 11-12-2019, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
There is no timing belt. It's a CHAIN. It's a common failure point on the m271. It's a huge project.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:28 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
First thing you need to do is get a tool that can scan MBZ's proprietary systems. SDS is the best, and it comes with WIS (shop manuals) and other useful resources. Less expensive and easier to learn alternatives include iCarsoft i980 or MBII, and the Autel MD802.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:24 PM

C230
I had just ordered the 802, as it says it can clear SRS codes also. It looked like my breather tube is leaking sadly, the youtube videos I see make it look doable but a pain.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by BecauseMB
I had just ordered the 802, as it says it can clear SRS codes also. It looked like my breather tube is leaking sadly, the youtube videos I see make it look doable but a pain.
The 802 is pretty weak compared to the others.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:56 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by BecauseMB
Looks like I will do the timing belt this weekend. How is it compared to the audi 1.8 and 2.8?
It's a decent amount of work. It really requires real tools and a selection of real tools. Given that, it can be in a few hours. Most people take 1-2 days - a few hours each day.

Imho, if someone replaced an alternator before, then they can do the timing chain.
If someone has replaced a head before, then, imho, the timing chain is a walk in the park on a nice day.

Also, unless you do a half *ss job, you will not be changing the chain this weekend.
It requires a tool for the master link.
Btw, the master link must also be installed with the correct torque.
The tool is ~$100 on ebay. I got the one with two metal latches on the case. So, I know that version has the correct size needed.

IWIS makes the chain.
The MB chain (that I bought Directly from a MB Dealer) even has a packet for the master link that has IWIS written on the plastic.
The MB chain and the IWIS chain that I bought looked the same. I bought the IWIS chain to compare the two. Plus, seeing differences, and the choices made, in products is useful for what I do.
My *guess* is that the IWIS chain is made with the same materials and with the same dies/machines. But, MB may have a tighter tolerance range, and may require more test samples per batch.

Imho, for something that critical, I suggest spending the extra ~$100.
The M271 engine is an interference design. So, if the timing chain breaks, then the engine is a boat anchor.
I say replace the timing chain every ~70K miles.
Many S-Class owners say every ~40K miles, since they've seen failures just past 40K miles.
https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/.../#post-1779779

Then again, I'd expect that the S-Class owners may be driving their cars, and engines, a little more aggressively.
Plus, many of those cars likely have manual trannys. A manual tranny can beat the crud out of the very under-designed M271timing chain.

Here are some links:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...chain-diy.html

More info, and I attached a number of WIS documents:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...hain-m271.html

Good Luck!

Last edited by RedGray; 11-14-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:40 PM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
Originally Posted by RedGray
Imho, if someone replaced an alternator before, then they can do the timing chain.
If someone has replaced a head before, then, imho, the timing chain is a walk in the park on a nice day.
The most difficult overall job I've done is replace the water pump on my Boxster. My Mercedes experience is summarized on this thread: C230 Revival

I'm wondering do I have what it takes to tackle the timing chain. As Clint Eastwood/Harry Callahan once said, "A man has to know his limitations."
Old 11-14-2019, 10:07 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
For some reason, I tend to actually enjoy those jobs that involve buying new tools!
Old 11-15-2019, 02:45 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by KevinH2000
The most difficult overall job I've done is replace the water pump on my Boxster. My Mercedes experience is summarized on this thread: C230 Revival

I'm wondering do I have what it takes to tackle the timing chain. As Clint Eastwood/Harry Callahan once said, "A man has to know his limitations."
As long as you can have the car unavailable for ~week, I don't think it'd be hard.
Still, first, check to see how much an independent would charge.

You'd need the timing chain tool - $100.
A low torque 1/4 torque wrench - ~$50.
I'd also suggest a set of [u]short[/b] box torx wrenches for the alternator.
I'd also suggest a cam tool set for the M271, to hold the cams in place - $100. It can be done with adjustable wrenched and wire. But, the tool makes it much easier.
Add in the timing chain $30 IWIS, ~$130 MB, and you have your rough cost.

I'd also suggest a new timing chain adjuster, and plastic plug.

Imho, removing and replacing the alternator is the biggest pain (if you use the MB cam tools). Otherwise, as long as you make sure that the timing chain doesn't drop (tie wire/string on both ends before you cut/break the chain), and then use the old chain to pull the new chain through (assuming that you removed the timing chain adjuster), then it's not hard.
You the cam tool to hold everything in place after you have the cams aligned, attach the master link and timing chain tool, then torque the pin to the correct amount.

Again, without a lift, imho, the alternator is easiest the biggest PIT to remove and replace. Also, don't forget that the belt has to be removed and replaced.

That's why experienced independents will use a long screwdriver/etc, to hold back the timing chain adjuster, when doing a replacement.
But, imho, there's a learning curve in doing that right. Also, imho, a professional mechanic is going to be better at being able to do that successfully, than the shade tree mechanic.

Good Luck.
The following users liked this post:
Rudeney (11-15-2019)